Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I'm starting to think that our players are similar to the Real Madrid players before Zidane came in, total disrespect to the managers until a legend that they respect came in and that they can connect with.

Maybe the only solution is this, Zola or Frankie. 

No thank you.....Zola can sit on the bench as a coach of some description, but definitely not the one with the suit.....bring Zindane in that might install some motivation

33 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Me too. The club should have backed him but chose to create a rift that could never be healed. Di Matteo and Carlo should never have been fired either. Firing Sarri may satisfy a few people in the short term but it will just set us back where we started. No strategy and no footballing identity. Something bigger than the manager needs to change.

Well where do you think we are now?  What I'm seeing is no strategy and no footballing identity; we were an absolute shambles today all over the park and its not the first time this has occurred, and I certainly don't buy into the excuse of not having enough time in pre-season; besides that he's had nearly 6 months working with these players and if this is the best we can look forward to after 6 months work, then I would question whether he's the right choice.  I don't think at any time during the games I've watched has been shouting and screaming at the players from the touchline to get them organized like Jose or Conte did. What I see is him scribbling notes and occasionally getting up to the touch line having a few words then sitting back down, only to add to his grocery list; I don't see the passion of Conte and I don't see the tactical nous and balls that Jose had to bench players, or even substitute them within 20 minutes of the first half because he knew he made the wrong selection or to counter the opposition. Yes you can turn round and say 'look how that turned out, where did that get them' well let's see, a few League titles and a few FA Cups for  start off.  This 'banker' would rather keep selecting more or less the same miserable bunch of players who have at times been absolutely shocking, everyone can see it except him and he hasn't got the balls to change things.   It wouldn't surprise me if the players are frustrated with his system of passing other teams to death rather than taking risks and penetrating the defence; its all so safe with 5-10 yard passes going absolutely nowhere boring the pants off everyone and yet we hear the same nonsense at the end of every game when we struggle.....'were were good for 70 yards' 'we have to solve this problem' 'we had 80% possession' blah blah blah.....whoever came up with the term 'Sarriball' needs a kick in the bollocks because its an absolute myth and the only thing its going to get him is fired if this f**king nonsense of playing world class players out of position and leaving young talent on the bench...............

eerrrr sorry rant over :mad:

Edited by CFCCAN
21 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Well where do you think we are now?  What I'm seeing is no strategy and no footballing identity; we were an absolute shambles today all over the park and its not the first time this has occurred, and I certainly don't buy into the excuse of not having enough time in pre-season; besides that he's had nearly 6 months working with these players and if this is the best we can look forward to after 6 months work, then I would question whether he's the right choice.  I don't think at any time during the games I've watched has been shouting and screaming at the players from the touchline to get them organized like Jose or Conte did. What I see is him scribbling notes and occasionally getting up to the touch line having a few words then sitting back down, only to add to his grocery list; I don't see the passion of Conte and I don't see the tactical nous and balls that Jose had to bench players, or even substitute them within 20 minutes of the first half because he knew he made the wrong selection or to counter the opposition. Yes you can turn round and say 'look how that turned out, where did that get them' well let's see, a few League titles and a few FA Cups for  start off.  This 'banker' would rather keep selecting more or less the same miserable bunch of players who have at times been absolutely shocking, everyone can see it except him and he hasn't got the balls to change things.   It wouldn't surprise me if the players are frustrated with his system of passing other teams to death rather than taking risks and penetrating the defence; its all so safe with 5-10 yard passes going absolutely nowhere boring the pants off everyone and yet we hear the same nonsense at the end of every game when we struggle.....'were were good for 70 yards' 'we have to solve this problem' 'we had 80% possession' blah blah blah.....whoever came up with the term 'Sarriball' needs a kick in the bollocks because its an absolute myth and the only thing its going to get him is fired if this f**king nonsense of playing world class players out of position and leaving young talent on the bench...............

eerrrr sorry rant over :mad:

I agree. My comment about no strategy or football identity is where I see us now, regardless of the outcome with Sarri. We had the opportunity to hire a director of football to help with that. But for whatever reason the club has chosen not to appoint one and that has left us rudderless. I have concerns over Sarri too, but we shouldn't get rid of him unless we know what alternative path we are going to take and that requires somebody with footballing knowledge. 

My guess is that he will get the rest of the season at least. Otherwise why did we just spend most of the transfer window chasing his preferred striker?

“We had assumed that we learned a certain style of football, but the truth is we never did learn it and are paying the consequences. [...] We haven’t even learned the most basic moves yet. We need to work on the basics, the primary foundations of my football, and only then will we try to change a few things.”

That's down to you sir. You are responsible for getting players to play your way. 

Screenshot_20190131-132143_Twitter.thumb.jpg.c45f115962ccb3625e56e7465a24ffc6.jpghttps://twitter.com/nomifooty/status/1090748151202541569?s=19

This is spot on. Sarri has to carry most of the the can here and I think it was easy to see this sort of match would be a problem from his time at Napoli. 

That said our continual folding under pressure, is as much to do with mentality and our squad as it is to do with Sarri. Something needs to change but perhaps it's time we looked at the players who have folded in 3 of the past 4 years for the issue this time.

That may well include Hazard, Willian and Pedro for starters who have all been here for all three of those years. 

Needs to shake up the personnel... Hudson and Christensen should have started... Hudson is probably more determined to leave seeing that performance and feeling totally justified being overlooked, yet again... the new centre forward ain’t gonna make zero difference... DD he ain’t... Jose got himself the sack... playing the same players over and over again, ditto....

• Watford 4-1 Chelsea = February 6 2018
  • Bournemouth 4-0 Chelsea = January 31 2019

Has anything changed for the better despite a change of manager? 

I don't think the manager himself is the problem, but it's worrying that for now a third time in four seasons, our squad is struggling to live up to its potential.

Just now, Jezz said:
  • Watford 4-1 Chelsea = February 6 2018
  • Bournemouth 4-0 Chelsea = January 31 2019

Has anything changed for the better despite a change of manager? 

I don't think the manager himself is the problem, but it's worrying that for now a third time in four seasons, our squad is struggling to live up to its potential.

Hazard isn't playing well... And that right there is the problem. We rely on him far too much, so many average and underperforming players in this side. 

When Hazard doesn't perform neither do we, it's actually criminal on how much we've relied on him over the years. We sign a new right winger and keep him on loan until the end of the season, great f**king logic that is, we have a young talent who is desperate to break through the ranks and wants to be snapped up by other elite clubs and we won't even give him a sniff at first team football. 

Some of the choices made right now I can't even comprehend it... 

On the Attacking side of the ball, I think the main issue is dealing with 2 low blocks. First third of the season, teams were drawn into pressing us when we play through the back. Sarriball kind of "baits" the opposition into overextending themselves, stretching them out over the length of the pitch. Once you have the team stretched out, then you have half-spaces (between the lines) for your midfielders to run into, and you get the quick, vertical passing that is the hallmark of Sarriball. Jorginho is the master at passing out of a press, and as long as he picks the right pass to kickstart the move upfield, we've suddenly bypassed enemy lines with 1-2 passes and at the defence's throats.

However, teams have wised up. They are no longer baited into pressing high, and even when 1-2 forward players do press, it's to man mark Jorginho and not give him time. The rest of the team uses the opportunity to retreat and regroup. Keep the spaces between the lines to a minimum.  If necessary, concede the wide areas and pack the box.   In this environment, our midfielders no longer have the pockets of space to run into. If they do find space, it's on the wings with 4-6 defenders waiting to clear a cross. In turn, our team is now "baited" into moving the ball horizontally into space on the wings, which is why our attack now consists of spamming crosses.

I'd be interested in trying to find more videos on how Sarri's Napoli teams played against low blocks. Considering Italy is the birth place of Catennacio, hard to believe he doesn't have a solution for low block + counter attacking football. 

[mention=14600]wallosh[/mention] Why do you only turn up when Chelsea have a bad game? Weird.
So you are also taking that same stuff with that other guy?[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122].
Keep it up[emoji106]. I won't take the bait[emoji16]
Me too. The club should have backed him but chose to create a rift that could never be healed. Di Matteo and Carlo should never have been fired either. Firing Sarri may satisfy a few people in the short term but it will just set us back where we started. No strategy and no footballing identity. Something bigger than the manager needs to change.
I know a lot of people feel the same about Carlo, but I actually thought I was the only one who felt Di Matteo was sacked too soon.

"Transfer Market is the refuge of the weak. It is for those who can't train their players. I'm a coach. Give me a group of players and I will coach them."

Over to you Mauricio ... and here's a suggestion for you .... if certain players in your group aren't following your instructions, drop or bench them and play others that will instead !

We have 4 players in the top 10 for pass completion stats in the Premier League, twice as many players as any other team. 

Those players are Jorginho, Rudiger, Luiz and Azpilicueta. 

They are the four most defensively positioned players in our team (Alonso takes up a more advanced position than Jorginho). 

For me, this highlights one of the root causes of our poor form and performances. 

It's all well good having 60% or more possession of the ball during a game but it's what you do with the ball that matters. Too much time is spent exchanging passes between defenders. How many times do we see the ball travel from one side of the back four to the other, move forward into the midfield only to be passed back into the defence again? 

The build up is too slow and it's allowing opposition defences to get back, sit deep and get organised. 

When the ball is eventually getting forward there's no space for the forwards to work with. Hazard's fronting up to a wall of four players and is expected to weave through them all. The centre forward has no space to run into, he's resigned to feeding on scrapes which is generally a ball into feet somewhere near the edge of the area. 

On the occassions the ball gets wide rather than coming inside there's nothing to aim at in the box beyond the centre forward. The wingers don't make runs into the near or far posts, instead preferring to loiter on the edge of the area. The midfielders aren't naturally attack minded and are also outside the box rather than looking to make runs into the box or even just being in the box as something to aim at. So more often than not crosses lead to nothing, the ball is played in but defenders massively out number our attackers (which is often just the striker). 

There's no urgency in our play to get the ball forward early.

In the system who is it that is meant to be scoring the goals? We keep picking a midfield of players who have no scoring threat. We have wingers who want the ball into feet all the time rather than making runs in behind defences pulling defenders out of position. The striker is isolated, double marked but no offers support.

So what is the game plan? When we're holding onto the ball for 70% of the game what is meant to be happen? How are we supposed to be creating openings? Which players are meant to be scoring goals? 

We're over 6 months into Sarri's first season now and there's still no clear game plan. No real cohesion to our play. A couple of the goals we've scored recently have come from almost route one style football, one of the centre backs lofting a 40 yard ball forward... So what are we doing with all of the short passes into feet? 

All I see in this team right now is more questions than answers. 

Edited by ForeverCarefree

Haven't been on for a while but got to make a few points.

1. Anyone calling for Sarri's head is part of the problem. A constant cycle of managers that have no long term structure is no good for anyone. We have just signed a 31 year old for Sarri and he is completely trying to change the way we play. It's nowhere near perfect but it doesn't happen overnight. Providing we get top 4 and maybe a trophy that for me would be a good stepping stone to build on.

2. Having said that, he NEEDS to freshen this team up. Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic offer so little going forward that we need RLC or even Mason Mount next year to have a threat from midfield. If RLC and CHO do not start at the weekend he is asking for trouble.

3. 90% of what we do is positive. We are now on the front foot in all games, look to win the ball back quickly and usually dominate. These are good foundations. Our attacking play needs to speed up, and our defence in Counter attack needs to improve but as I said this takes time. If at the end of next season we are still struggling, then it maybe time to say this isn't working. Trust in the long term plan!

6 months in and it's almost as if Sarri has coached the squad to the point they have forgotten how to score goals. I can't remember in recent years having such a dry spell before. Higuain is still settling in, but you would have thought he may have scored against SW or Bournemouth, but didn't even come close. 

Sarri must find the answer, if we score first we don't have to play so high up the pitch, it was just ridiculous last night how high we try playing, Rudiger and Luiz do not suit that kind of defending on the center line.

Sarri has to change !

2 hours ago, DiegoCostaLegend said:

He dropped Alonso for Emerson and played Higuain and Pedro.

That‘s our best line-up. Hardly Sarri‘s fault. However, if he goes on about not being able to motivate the players, he has to be sacked immediately.

That’s subjective though isn’t it? Personally I think CHO is better than Pedro. I also think Christensen is a better defender that Luiz. I think Barkley/RLC offed more going forward than Kovacic. Also, Kante should IMO be playing more like he did last season.

My point is it’s subjective what’s our strongest team is. In Sarri’s opinion our squad is hard to motivate, well - simply stop playing them then. If he recalled players like James, Abraham, Mount and started playing them alongside the ones that are motivated I.e. Kepa, Azpi, Kante for example. I don’t think there would be too many grumbles from fans. The club should back the manager in that scenario. There’s been far too long a history of Chelsea having players who aren’t motivated. The two follow up seasons to our title wins are proof of that.

6 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

“We had assumed that we learned a certain style of football, but the truth is we never did learn it and are paying the consequences. [...] We haven’t even learned the most basic moves yet. We need to work on the basics, the primary foundations of my football, and only then will we try to change a few things.”

That's down to you sir. You are responsible for getting players to play your way. 

IT TAKES TIME