Jorginho is a Blue

2 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I thought he struggled through most of the game last night. Not necessarily his fault, he had Sigurdsson marking him pretty tightly throughout (again).

Personally I thought he was decent last night Plokkers. Yep, nothing stand out but did a job. I felt everyone played pretty well yesterday TBH.

3 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I thought he struggled through most of the game last night. Not necessarily his fault, he had Sigurdsson marking him pretty tightly throughout (again).

Christensen (especially in the first half) was getting a lot of time and touches on the ball. 

I think Everton were pre-occupied with marking Jorginho that it left Christensen free to so much time to get his head up, take his time and pick whichever pass he wanted. 

Perhaps Jorginho was the sacrificial lamb in that sense. 

I thought he was pretty good. Not outstanding but totally reliable. That one foul in front of the box was the only "mistake" I noticed. Pretty good at playing out the opponents pressure and him and Kova are just a fine combination. Have zero concerns when I see them on the spreadsheet and they look like on old couple where both know where/what the other is doing by intuition.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Christensen (especially in the first half) was getting a lot of time and touches on the ball. 

I think Everton were pre-occupied with marking Jorginho that it left Christensen free to so much time to get his head up, take his time and pick whichever pass he wanted. 

exactly this, Everton went man to man on jorginho, Kovacic, and both wing backs to try and stop us playing out, but the movement of the front 3 and Christiensen's ball playing ability, allowed us to get behind there middle and ultimately dominaye proceedings. 

3 hours ago, just said:

Personally I thought he was decent last night Plokkers. Yep, nothing stand out but did a job. I felt everyone played pretty well yesterday TBH.

Agree with you here. I think last night was one of our standout performances... A strong Everton side didn't really have a sniff all game and we had so many chances going forward, could have been 5-6 goals on another night. Getting that first half goal was key, took the pressure off and meant we never exposed our defence looking for a goal.

Some of the passing interplay was a joy to watch.

5 hours ago, weetee said:

I thought he was pretty good. Not outstanding but totally reliable. That one foul in front of the box was the only "mistake" I noticed. Pretty good at playing out the opponents pressure and him and Kova are just a fine combination. Have zero concerns when I see them on the spreadsheet and they look like on old couple where both know where/what the other is doing by intuition.

I agree when they are together I have no concerns.

Such a change from those early days under Sarri too, now I think he is a much better player for us.

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. I was pleasantly surprised at Christensen's positivity in possession last night - not sure we've often seen him take those kinds of risks before. Really good to see him living up to his potential as a ball-playing defender - I really wasn't expecting it from him.

8 hours ago, just said:

I agree. Last night would usually be a game that Jorginho would struggle with. He was being pressed a lot, usually by more than one player, but he seemed to wriggle out of trouble and get the ball moving quickly. It's the part of Joginho's game I have always thought held us back in the past and was a weakness that was often exposed. If he can keep doing what he has done against high pressing teams like Liverpool and Everton, then it goes a long way to fixing what I think has been a pretty major issue with our team in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I agree. Last night would usually be a game that Jorginho would struggle with. He was being pressed a lot, usually by more than one player, but he seemed to wriggle out of trouble and get the ball moving quickly. It's the part of Joginho's game I have always thought held us back in the past and was a weakness that was often exposed. If he can keep doing what he has done against high pressing teams like Liverpool and Everton, then it goes a long way to fixing what I think has been a pretty major issue with our team in recent seasons.

Yeah, thought he played well last night and moved the ball well. The whole team look a lot better knocking the ball about in tight spaces under TT. But I also like how TT is changing it and recognises games being "horses for courses".  Even last night, as well as Jorginho played, he came close to being mugged a few times and gave the dangerous free kick away on the edge of the box. Better opponents WILL punish that and it's good that TT is aware of that.

Really poor today. Only touched the ball 67 times sitting deep for the whole game. Leeds completely nullified him. He wasn't man marked they just closed on him quickly when he had the ball. And as we have seen so often before, he had no answer to it. 

7 minutes ago, just said:

Really poor today. Only touched the ball 67 times sitting deep for the whole game. Leeds completely nullified him. He wasn't man marked they just closed on him quickly when he had the ball. And as we have seen so often before, he had no answer to it. 

I didn't understand why he started today, its pretty much a certainty he will dissappear against a decent pressing side and Leeds are just that. Waste of a place today.

Tuchel said he didn't want to risk Kovacic as Jorginho and Mount is suspended for Atletico. Kovacic would probably have played under normal circumstances but it was a sensible decision to not risk Kovacic before such a vital game on wednesday.

6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Tuchel said he didn't want to risk Kovacic as Jorginho and Mount is suspended for Atletico. Kovacic would probably have played under normal circumstances but it was a sensible decision to not risk Kovacic before such a vital game on wednesday.

Like I expected, Wednesday was the priority so we rested players.

Resting players when we play Leeds is just nonsense. But, if you’re going to rest Kova for Wednesday, surely coming on instead of Jorginho at half time when it was clear that Jorginho was inefficient, would count as resting him, wouldn’t it? Or even better, why not have Gilmour on the bench to test him for 20-30 minutes in the second half when it’s obvious that Jorginho is awol?

37 minutes ago, just said:

Maybe. But what about how Jorginho played today?

Did not watch the full game, only highlights so hard to comment on that as they showed nothing of him or Kante. 

In all honesty I think both of them and kova are really good players that have their faults, and a average or bad game from them gets blow out of all proportions on here, as do their good games which make them the second coming of Pirlo, Essien or Charlton.

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Did not watch the full game, only highlights so hard to comment on that as they showed nothing of him or Kante. 

In all honesty I think both of them and kova are really good players that have their faults, and a average or bad game from them gets blow out of all proportions on here, as do their good games which make them the second coming of Pirlo, Essien or Charlton.

That's fair enough axman. If you didn't see the game you can't make a judgement on how they performed.

Personally I think there is a huge imbalance in how they are perceived though. Today illustrates that perfectly. The Kante thread has been white hot with different views over his performance and yet Jorginho was completely anonymous for the entire game but the silence in this thread has been deafening.

43 minutes ago, just said:

That's fair enough axman. If you didn't see the game you can't make a judgement on how they performed.

Personally I think there is a huge imbalance in how they are perceived though. Today illustrates that perfectly. The Kante thread has been white hot with different views over his performance and yet Jorginho was completely anonymous for the entire game but the silence in this thread has been deafening.

Had there been fans at the game I would have waited to take it in, in full. Would have had to wait 14 hours or so after kick off but would have been worth it. Without them...yes I could not resist, wanted to know how we did so watched the 3 minute Dazn app on my phone. 

Think it could be that Jorgi is very good at what he does but simply is not a world class player. Like Kovacic they have a few qualities they do really well but I dont think either of them win a game on their own.

Kante was at his peak world class and we are hoping he reaches that again. He can win games on his own so is judged more harshly. Price you pay for being in that top bracket.

Eden I think got the same treatment 

Edited by axman2526
9 hours ago, RMH said:

Resting players when we play Leeds is just nonsense. But, if you’re going to rest Kova for Wednesday, surely coming on instead of Jorginho at half time when it was clear that Jorginho was inefficient, would count as resting him, wouldn’t it? Or even better, why not have Gilmour on the bench to test him for 20-30 minutes in the second half when it’s obvious that Jorginho is awol?

Considering that Kovacic won't have Jorginho and Mount around him vs Atletico I don't blame Tuchel for resting him, IMO our squad is good enough to win vs Leeds but the formation change didn't do us any favors at all.

Jorginho vs Leeds was top 3 when it came down to total passes made, only Christensen and Kante had more passes than him which was suggested by others that it was also a result due to a tactical setup by Leeds, the one player that had all the space in the world yesterday was Kante and Kante only.

We'll see how we do vs Atletico without Mount and Jorginho, I have seen multiple people wanting Gilmour to be involved in any matchup so maybe he'll get his chance soon enough.