Jorginho is a Blue

I have been super critical at times of Jorginho, but thought he did ok yesterday given the circumstances (i.e with 2 players close to him for most of the game).  I will caveat that, by clarifying that I thought he was OK only for the role he was given, i.e the deeper lying midfielder in the pivot. If he had been playing the Kante role (i.e, further ahead, charged with progressing play), then I would also be calling him out, but he wasnt, and therefore, he did ok.

Overall, Jorgi was nowhere near as wasteful as kKnte (wasteful in the sense that he missed countless chances to play in forward players who had made a run into space). I dont recall a single time when Jorgi, with time on the ball, failed to spot a run of a player ahead and play him in.  Whereas Kante, with time on the ball, failed on multiple occasions to play the pass to players running into space, instead choosing the easy sideways or backwards pass.

He wasnt great, he wasnt spectacular, but he was efficient in the role he was playing.

37 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

I have been super critical at times of Jorginho, but thought he did ok yesterday given the circumstances (i.e with 2 players close to him for most of the game).  I will caveat that, by clarifying that I thought he was OK only for the role he was given, i.e the deeper lying midfielder in the pivot. If he had been playing the Kante role (i.e, further ahead, charged with progressing play), then I would also be calling him out, but he wasnt, and therefore, he did ok.

Overall, Jorgi was nowhere near as wasteful as kKnte (wasteful in the sense that he missed countless chances to play in forward players who had made a run into space). I dont recall a single time when Jorgi, with time on the ball, failed to spot a run of a player ahead and play him in.  Whereas Kante, with time on the ball, failed on multiple occasions to play the pass to players running into space, instead choosing the easy sideways or backwards pass.

He wasnt great, he wasnt spectacular, but he was efficient in the role he was playing.

I can see why you and others complain about Kante wasting many opportunities and the space that he had yesterday but consider this - despite all that Kante was our top passer, tackled the most, had the most tackles + interceptions in total, dribbled the most, had the most touches and carried the ball the most times... Clearly with all that he was bound to fail a bit as well but overall his performance was good.

I think if we had scored 1 goal and won the game nobody would nitpick his performance, but I don't want to get into a debate whether or not his performance was due to the way Leeds setup to play against us or not, he was the player that tried to push us forward and if others had done the same we would have a much better performance as a team overall, I commented during the second half that Leeds players look like they have better fitness and that nobody can match them part from Kante.

Cute snippet from Jorginho: https://www.chelsea-news.co/2021/03/jorginho-like-enjoy-tuchels-style-play-better-characteristics/#.YFRTa_9xkQE.twitter

“The coach wants us having control of the game, playing from behind, even when the pressure comes.

“So, for me, it’s a good way to play football that I like and enjoy, and I think it’s better for my characteristics than playing long balls, and second balls.

“When it’s Kova, his style is to play short, to come, so I know if he wants to play one-two or when he wants some space to move forward and to dribble. So, I just try to help him, either give him the space, or come over to help him and give him an option – whatever he needs to get out of the situation.

“With Kante, it’s kind of the same. When you play with your mates, you need to understand each other, and understand their characteristics as well. So, I know that Kante has big power, so I tell him when he can turn. With Kante, it’s more about talking: “Turn!” “Man on!” or talking so he knows I’m there for the short pass. So, I just try to give him an option to do a one-two and get out.

“Oh yes, big brains [Kante Jorginho and Kovacic have big brains]. They have more legs than me, though!”

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

So @Gol15 that’s two games without Jorginho getting any minutes and instead of going in at half time 2-0 down we’ve won both 2-0... :wink:

In many games earlier in the season we never had much control even when we were a goal up, we're more difficult to break now, we have conceded only 2 goals with Tuchel and 1 of them was an own goal from Rudiger, that's almost 15 games with only 1 goal conceded from the opposition.

So clearly things have changed but the one good thing that is still active is the fact that we still didn't lose in a long time with Jorginho in the starting lineup, that's a constant that has been working for us this season, other improvements were welcomed with full arms ::HeAdS:::

14 hours ago, Gol15 said:

In many games earlier in the season we never had much control even when we were a goal up, we're more difficult to break now, we have conceded only 2 goals with Tuchel and 1 of them was an own goal from Rudiger, that's almost 15 games with only 1 goal conceded from the opposition.

So clearly things have changed but the one good thing that is still active is the fact that we still didn't lose in a long time with Jorginho in the starting lineup, that's a constant that has been working for us this season, other improvements were welcomed with full arms ::HeAdS:::

I know I'm nitpicking here but I've never understood why stats orientated people tend to round up or down when it suits them... Surely you could just say that's 14 games, don't need to round up there!

I'll crawl back into my cave now...

Just now, Shweaves said:

I know I'm nitpicking here but I've never understood why stats orientated people tend to round up or down when it suits them... Surely you could just say that's 14 games, don't need to round up there!

I'll crawl back into my cave now...

I didn't bother to check the exact number of games, in my head it was less than 15 but more than 10 so I went with it, I think I can afford to do that when talking to @Munkworth cause he knows I have an army of graphs and charts fully loaded :iorishLiam:

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

I didn't bother to check the exact number of games, in my head it was less than 15 but more than 10 so I went with it, I think I can afford to do that when talking to @Munkworth cause he knows I have an army of graphs and charts fully loaded :iorishLiam:

I’m surprised they’ve yet to make an appearance....

16 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

sharon leal love GIF

Though it pains to see Ruben Dias there at the same rating basically, imagine if we had signed him... now City will have one of the best CB in the league for 5+ years, and if they get Haaland as well... Ah who cares, Mount and Havertz will destroy the league anyway they just need an extra season.

On 29/03/2021 at 22:12, LongtimerLurker said:

The thing I found most amusing about this list is that Haaland doesn't feature in their top 100 players ... 🙂

2 hours ago, Bob stark said:

I will sell him in the summer for 150 m

Or trade him for Mbappe 

We would need a new DM if we sell him, you could argue that we may need a new DM even if we don't sell him. But I think 150m is way over his value, given his age I say 40-50m would be the price for him.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

We would need a new DM if we sell him, you could argue that we may need a new DM even if we don't sell him. But I think 150m is way over his value, given his age I say 40-50m would be the price for him.

If he is the third best player in the world 100m is a bargain. If Hazard didn't just have 1 year left on his contract, we won't sell him for 80.

Edited by Bob stark
34 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

If he is the third best player in the world 100m is a bargain. If Hazard didn't just have 1 year left on his contract, we won't sell him for 80.

In all fairness that same website rates his value at around 40m euros.

https://football-observatory.com/-values-71601

That other ranking is just for the past 3 months, not overall. In that same ranking Ndidi from Leicester played more minutes, lost more games but he's also up there with the index of higher than 85 and he's 5 years younger than Jorginho. I think we should seriously take a look and see if Leicester might want to sell him.

On 29/03/2021 at 22:12, LongtimerLurker said:

The absurdity of statistics has never been highlighted so brutally as in the 72 minutes today. He was dire against Leeds but Jorge  took it to another level today.

3rd best player in Europe? He's not even the 3rd best midfielder in our squad.

Hopefully Marina might be going back for another look at Declan Rice after this.