Jorginho is a Blue

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Nevamind said:

He has gone under the radar a bit it seems, also for my liking he passes too much back than forward, which i kinda understand if you are the central piece of a system you dont want to look shaky but also slows down our game. He just keeps it very grounded.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone made a really good point about how he's passing backwards/sideways more than he'd like because the attackers still aren't getting into the right positions enough for him to start off attacking moves. The system requires him to distribute the ball quickly, and if the attackers aren't in position he's left with far less options.

3 hours ago, Zeta said:

I know Sarri loves him, but it seems like his entire role is basically just to be a wall, to take a pass from defenders and quickly bounce it off to someone else, to keep the game moving. Surely Kante could do that, as well as actually offering defensive cover, unlike Jorginho.

Teams aren't really pressing us and that usually why Jorginho would be in the team, so he can build up from the back. Leicester today just sat off as a lot of teams have done and that makes his role less effective.

4 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

think maybe the long entry ball [favors Cesc over Jorginho]

They both play it, but Cesc sees the opening more often and is more accurate. Late against Leicester, for example, Cesc would have put Kante in alone with a long arcing pass if Giroud hadn’t put his beautifully coiffed head in the way.

Baffles me why Sarri subs him off for Fabregas, am i missing something? what does Fabregas do that Jorginho cant?. Rather he put Hudson Odoi on the bench and used him for Willian or Pedro than sub on Fabregas for Jorginho.
I will give you one! Fabregas can actually create more goal scoring chances than Jorginho
10 hours ago, KnowItAll said:

They both play it, but Cesc sees the opening more often and is more accurate. Late against Leicester, for example, Cesc would have put Kante in alone with a long arcing pass if Giroud hadn’t put his beautifully coiffed head in the way.

They both play it... but IMO Cesc is the best in the world at the long entry ball... just wish the rest of his game matched that right now at his age.  Jorginho and Cesc are both very fun to watch pass for different reasons, Jorginho is always in a great spot to receive a ball and play quick.  Cesc plays that 40 yard driven ball with back spin so well that seems to float over a defenders head and then die.

Completed 100 odd passes yesterday but it reminded me of the games at the start of the season against West Ham and Newcastle where despite us having plenty of possession we struggled to breakdown the opposition and create any meaningful chances.

Doesn't seem like Jorginho is being man marked anymore but we’ve got to start making more of the amount of possession we’re getting,

The reason Palace got next to zero counters on us today was the control he excused in the center of the pitch, anytime a players under pressure they pass it to Jorginho, he's always in the right place to receive it and that five yard pass keeps us ticking in possession. Got a little shaky in the last 10 minutes but the first 80 he was almost flawless. 

His role in the team is very misunderstood. People expect him to be KDB or something when that's not his game, he's too deep in the field. It's not his responsibility to unlock teams in the final third, that's the job of the five players ahead of him.

The reason Palace got next to zero counters on us today was the control he excused in the center of the pitch, anytime a players under pressure they pass it to Jorginho, he's always in the right place to receive it and that five yard pass keeps us ticking in possession. Got a little shaky in the last 10 minutes but the first 80 he was almost flawless. 

His role in the team is very misunderstood. People expect him to be KDB or something when that's not his game, he's too deep in the field. It's not his responsibility to unlock teams in the final third, that's the job of the five players ahead of him.

The people who want to find a fault with him will continue to do so no matter what they just don't get his role.
3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Completed 100 odd passes yesterday but it reminded me of the games at the start of the season against West Ham and Newcastle where despite us having plenty of possession we struggled to breakdown the opposition and create any meaningful chances.

Doesn't seem like Jorginho is being man marked anymore but we’ve got to start making more of the amount of possession we’re getting,

Well he did create Hazard penalty agains't Watford with a ball over the top of their defence.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

And that’s the point I’m making, Jorginho has made over 100 passes. That’s a lot of movement to shift us around the pitch and to potentially create openings against the opposition.

When we’re having 70% plus possession we’ve got to start creating better openings in open play. The ball is too often getting into the final third, played across the opposition 18 yard line and then played backwards.

We’re dominating possession but heading into the final ten minutes with a slender leader. Connor Wickham had a good chance that he lofted over the bar towards the end of the game yesterday... that goes in and all the domenance of possession counts for nothing.

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

And that’s the point I’m making, Jorginho has made over 100 passes. That’s a lot of movement to shift us around the pitch and to potentially create openings against the opposition.

When we’re having 70% plus possession we’ve got to start creating better openings in open play. The ball is too often getting into the final third, played across the opposition 18 yard line and then played backwards.

We’re dominating possession but heading into the final ten minutes with a slender leader. Connor Wickham had a good chance that he lofted over the bar towards the end of the game yesterday... that goes in and all the domenance of possession counts for nothing.

I agree with the point you're making but I wouldn't say we're failing to create openings because of Jorginho, as you say the ball is too often getting into the final third... that to me suggests Jorginho is doing what he's in the team to do. When Jorginho is on his game like he was yesterday it's up to the likes of Barkley, Willian, Kante, Alonso, Giroud to create more chances, I don't think they did yesterday.

17 minutes ago, the special one said:

I agree with the point you're making but I wouldn't say we're failing to create openings because of Jorginho, as you say the ball is too often getting into the final third... that to me suggests Jorginho is doing what he's in the team to do. When Jorginho is on his game like he was yesterday it's up to the likes of Barkley, Willian, Kante, Alonso, Giroud to create more chances, I don't think they did yesterday.

I’m not saying it’s because of Jorginho.

Jorginho had over 100 passes yesterday which indicates we had the ball a lot and we at least had it in the middle of the park.

But much like when we played West Ham and Newcastle at the start of the season when Jorginho also had over 100 passes we struggled to break down the opposition.

Something between midfield and attack just isn’t quite clicking at moment.

So if Jorginho is doing his job, where is it falling apart ahead of him? 

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

So if Jorginho is doing his job, where is it falling apart ahead of him? 

For me, and I appreciate it won't be a well liked opinion, but I don't think Kante and Barkley were particularly good in possession (though it has to be said Kante was his usual phenomenal self without the ball). Tactically we don't play too differently from Man City, the difference is City have the likes of Bernardo, KDB and David Silva in centre mid to create openings for Sane, Sterling, Aguero etc - I love Kante to bits but him and Barkley are nowhere near their level creatively.

Edited by the special one