Zeta

Jorginho is a Blue

Jorginho's performances are largely influenced by the team around him, he struggled at the start of his tenure with us which was largely attributed to him still transitioning to a new league and team but it was also down to the lack of movement around him therefore at times he seemed a little hesitant on the ball. However as the team progressed with a more mobile and possession based style Jorginho has looked a lot better, I think Kova and Kante suit Jorginho a lot better than someone like Barkley.

In addition if you take into account this season where our average age has come down in comparison to last season naturally we see more energy which allows Jorginho to transition play a lot faster, currently he seems to be the most important player in the team allowing us to play out from the back. It is also great to see Billy coming through the ranks who seems to be cut from the same cloth and I am sure he will learn a great deal training with the likes of Jorginho. 

I think those stats are pretty impressing because this "dirty work" not really what people are looking to watch for.

But is Jorginho the real defensive midfielder we need?

I think he has improved a lot this season, he's much more dynamic defensively, he controls the possession by asking the ball every time. The question is what his real position in our team, as I see him is the heart of the team, Lampard wants him to keep the game and cover other players with his technically ability, he is also smart player so he knows when to move. With his ability, we've got Kante much more forward, which isn't that bad thing, Kante shows that he can actually score goals usually and bring some press in the final third.

I must admit, I thought at this time last year that Jorginho looked like another Zappacosta style signing . . . but he's been magnificent since the turn of the year, really a key player in our team and looks like a proper leader. 

Just now, Argo said:

He really didn't, his quality has always been obvious.

Personally I thought he looked like he was fading away with every match he played in the prem and that people were finding him out for his lack of pace and athleticism. Happy to have been proven wrong

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/09/29/chelseasavouring-full-scale-love-in-withjorginho/

Asked whether, having converted 12 out of 13 penalties, he was now Chelsea’s designated spot-kick man, Jorginho laughed: “You will have to ask Frank!”

Another of this season’s penalty takers, Ross Barkley, was on the pitch and Tammy Abraham also appeared interested but Jorginho revealed: “He came up and said, ‘You are taking the penalty?’ and I said, ‘yeah’, and so he said ‘OK’.”

8 hours ago, RMCM said:

Personally I thought he looked like he was fading away with every match he played in the prem and that people were finding him out for his lack of pace and athleticism. Happy to have been proven wrong

He never faded at all last season! If anything, he started slow then grew into the season, arguably being our best player towards the end of last season.

1 hour ago, Old Shaggy said:

He never faded at all last season! If anything, he started slow then grew into the season, arguably being our best player towards the end of last season.

He started pretty well, but a few games in he just became known his making lots of little pointless passes. In the middle of the season when he had our bad run, he truly was awful and became a scapegoat for the side performing so badly. But towards the end of the season, he was one of our best players and hes just carried on that good form into the current season.

EFtujvSXoAA_-lJ?format=jpg&name=large
He's had a full season to adapt and will hopefully only get better. His attitude is infectious.

But but but he doesn't bring anything to the team .............. Just remember Pep wanted this guy for a reason imagine him dictating the city midfield with KDB and B Silva that's scary....

On 01/10/2019 at 08:25, Old Shaggy said:

I'm not bothered looking back for posts, but i recall a lot of people on here and elsewhere berating him. Because he looked good for the first few games, then he lost form and looked very average when we went on our bad run, and made a huge resurgence in the latter half of the season. As I said, really like him as a player, and as a leader, first name on the team sheet these days

The general consensus on here is that he's a great player. He's not. He's the most overrated player I've ever seen. That doesn't make him a bad player. He's not a bad player. Overrated though, to a preposterous degree.

2 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

The general consensus on here is that he's a great player. He's not. He's the most overrated player I've ever seen. That doesn't make him a bad player. He's not a bad player. Overrated though, to a preposterous degree.

I haven't been convinced by him at all since he's been here. However I've seen signs this season which have encouraged me. He looks like he could be a very important player for us in this transition period and I get the impression that he's a good guy to have around the changing room. I'm optimistic that he could turn out to be a proper player. 

1 minute ago, Liam said:

I haven't been convinced by him at all since he's been here. However I've seen signs this season which have encouraged me. He looks like he could be a very important player for us in this transition period and I get the impression that he's a good guy to have around the changing room. I'm optimistic that he could turn out to be a proper player. 

I regard you as a knowledgeable and entertaining sage Liam, so your optimism cheers me up. However I can't recall an occasion I was wrong.

Mind you, I don't have the best memory.

7 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

Sort of agree with both here. I really don’t rate him and can’t understand why people here are so excited about him. He has improved this season though and as Liam says he is helping in transition.

1 minute ago, Davey Baby said:

I regard you as a knowledgeable and entertaining sage Liam, so your optimism cheers me up. However I can't recall an occasion I was wrong.

Mind you, I don't have the best memory.

If Jorginho was a 5/10 for you tonight, what was Kante just out of interest ?

1 minute ago, Davey Baby said:

IHowever I can't recall an occasion I was wrong.

No there was one occasion - I'm sure of it. It was a number of years ago but I took notes at the time. I'll check through my archives and revert.

11 minutes ago, Liam said:

Pretty much how I feel Liam. He has definitely grown on me this season. His absence of pace and physicality means he will always need a Kante type athletic player alongside him. I really like his attitude as well.

He seems to take time to grow into games, he was quite sloppy in the first half again then grew into it. 

But I also thought Kante was pretty poor, it was an isolated midfield.