Zeta

Jorginho is a Blue

Jorginho IS playing miles better than last season. And it's it down to Frank Lampard and the system, the players and the adventurous tactics he is playing.

There's a "fact" for you.

1 minute ago, just said:

Jorginho IS playing miles better than last season. And it's it down to Frank Lampard and the system, the players and the adventurous tactics he is playing.

There's a "fact" for you.

Also down to him aswell, he is a very good player. There just a good argument whether or not he was cut out for this league, I don't think it helped with Sarri's stubbornness and how unwilling he was to adapt or change things up. 

Leader on the pitch. Hot heart and cool head. Brilliant penalties.

If he can control the weight of his passes like Xavi or Iniesta, he'd be world class

I hate watching his penalties. I can't help but feel the goalie is going to save them because he really doesn't hit it hard at all. He places them. The question is, does he decide which side it goes before or after the goalie has moved. The fact he has scored so many leads me to believe he makes the decision after the goalie has moved. The little jump just before the kick seems to be the trigger for the goalie to move. They react every time and he puts it the other way.

I know he is incredibly successful but I still have no confidence when he runs up because he never changes his technique and one day the goalie will just stand still. If this happens, and it may never happen, but just for arguments sake, lets say the goalie stands still. Where does he go then? I suppose if the goalie stands still it doesn't matter which side he goes as long as the shot is near the side netting.

The trick is two fold. The little jump to trigger the goalie and the quick decision on which side. His success rate speaks for itself and he therefore has to remain as the main penalty taker.

My heart rate can rest easy against Palace because he is banned at least.

25 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Why are we suddenly going to learn to defend set pieces properly?

No its only a penalty thing.

We need a leader at the back to organise things. I think Rudiger is the best we can hope for at the moment. We're a work in progress but if we can continue to score more than we concede I'm OK.

7 hours ago, Andy North said:

I hate watching his penalties. I can't help but feel the goalie is going to save them because he really doesn't hit it hard at all. He places them. The question is, does he decide which side it goes before or after the goalie has moved. The fact he has scored so many leads me to believe he makes the decision after the goalie has moved. The little jump just before the kick seems to be the trigger for the goalie to move. They react every time and he puts it the other way.

I know he is incredibly successful but I still have no confidence when he runs up because he never changes his technique and one day the goalie will just stand still. If this happens, and it may never happen, but just for arguments sake, lets say the goalie stands still. Where does he go then? I suppose if the goalie stands still it doesn't matter which side he goes as long as the shot is near the side netting.

The trick is two fold. The little jump to trigger the goalie and the quick decision on which side. His success rate speaks for itself and he therefore has to remain as the main penalty taker.

I would agree with you if the keepers were getting close and Jorginho was getting a bit lucky but that doesn't seem to be the case, apart from the one he actually missed against Ederson keepers haven't even got close to his penalties.

There's clearly a method to it that makes it successful if it keeps fooling keepers who make no mistake would have done tons of research trying to work out how the hell he does it. Even ex pros don't have a clue how he manages it, I've watched his penalties atleast two dozen times and I can't work it out.

I thought Hazard was as good as it was going to get in terms of confidence from the spot but Jorginho seems just as assured as Eden, if not more so.

Edited by Argo

23 hours ago, Andy North said:

He has powered them before. I think at the skip stage he makes the decision, place left, place right, power right/left depending on what the keeper does. 

Every penalty he has taken this season will be against a keeper who I guarantee has studied his penalty more than we have. 

7 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

He has powered them before. I think at the skip stage he makes the decision, place left, place right, power right/left depending on what the keeper does. 

Every penalty he has taken this season will be against a keeper who I guarantee has studied his penalty more than we have. 

I'm sure you're right about the goalkeepers studying his technique but after Tuesdays game they could well be thinking it might be good idea to not move. They might as well because he's got them beat whichever way they move.

We'll see if he gets the next one.

3 hours ago, Andy North said:

I'm sure you're right about the goalkeepers studying his technique but after Tuesdays game they could well be thinking it might be good idea to not move. They might as well because he's got them beat whichever way they move.

We'll see if he gets the next one.

At 1.50, he powers one. I think that's when the keeper really doesn't look like moving. 

However what is clear is that the keeper just doesn't have a clue where he is placing it until it is too late and Jorginho seemingly only decides when he is about to kick the ball. Its incredible skill. 

He uses that little hop to gain time to see the slightest movement, then just puts it in the other corner. Unbelievable technique. 

I think the only chance keepers have of saving them is by going full grobbalaar amd moving around like a maniac, or by standing completely still until after the kicks taken. Both of those options are still reliant on Jorginho not putting the ball right in the corner, and reacting fast enough to get down. 

Its very nervy to watch, but he is so good at it, that he will score over 90%. 

36 minutes ago, DisposeOfDeadwood said:

Top 5 best signings in the past decade or so Id say

Mata, Azpilicueta, Kante, Fabregas, Costa, Hazard, Cahill, David Luiz ( polarising player, but he helped us win a lot )

For now, I think he is still below all of these. 

50 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Mata, Azpilicueta, Kante, Fabregas, Costa, Hazard, Cahill, David Luiz ( polarising player, but he helped us win a lot )

For now, I think he is still below all of these. 

Okay maybe not a decade, but top 5 in the past half-decade undoubtedly.

19 hours ago, DisposeOfDeadwood said:

Okay maybe not a decade, but top 5 in the past half-decade undoubtedly.

Top 5 i'd have Jorginho, Costa, Fabregas, Rudiger and Kante. No specific order.

44 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Top 5 i'd have Jorginho, Costa, Fabregas, Rudiger and Kante. No specific order.

I'd have the same. Tbh I dont think I can even think of many other good signings in that entire time frame (not taking into account the past year)

2 hours ago, DisposeOfDeadwood said:

I'd have the same. Tbh I dont think I can even think of many other good signings in that entire time frame (not taking into account the past year)

Pulisic looks like he has the potential, i'm struggling outside of that though. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Pulisic looks like he has the potential, i'm struggling outside of that though. 

Yeah I mean, the signings we made in the past year (Pulisic, Kovacic and Jorginho) have been excellent signings, but aside from those 3, the transfer windows we had before that were truly awful. I think the Conte era signings were probably the worst we've ever had as a club, and Jose before that (outside of Costa and Cesc) wasnt great either