Zeta

Jorginho is a Blue

Robson is not and ranter and raver looking to say something controversial in order to grab a headline. He's actually one of the smarter ex pros on the media gravy train and watched Jorginho many times covering Italian football. 

I hope Jorginho goes on to prove Robson very wrong, but the jury is still very much out on him at the mo.  He does look slow and that is a crucial factor in his posistion and he did look terrible when up against the pace of City in the CS. Let's wait and see how things go with him before going Ott thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by Dixon
Spelling.

3 minutes ago, Dixon said:

Let's wait and see how things go with him before going Ott thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Agreed but for a pundit to say he doesn’t think he’s a good player, has no redeeming attributes, has no idea why a coach rates him and contributes little to teams except square passes is frankly ridiculous. 

We’ve seen enough of Jorginho already to see he’s a very intelligent player on the ball and that he has great distribution. 

That Pep and Manchester City wanted to sign him too tells you a lot about his qualities as well. 

He knows Sarriball so well, so I guess he’s taking the lead trying to help his team mates learn the style.

I liked the bit when he ran up field on his own to press the goalkeeper and he was telling everybody to run up too.

I think Sarri would really struggle without Jorginho, sometimes being practical really help.

You have to be blind to not see what a class player he can be for us.........a potential leader too. And who gives a f**k what some pundit says.......a huge majority of them are OP biased and not exactly fond of Chels.

The regal way he moves the ball when pressured, passes the ball backwards with confidence and self-assurance, the way he rarely gets forward and allows his teammates to shine in attack...I know it's early days but I can't stop seeing the resemblance in him.

It's like we've finally replaced Mikel.

Dennis Wise seems to like him:

Chelsea great Dennis Wise has branded his former club’s summer signing Jorginho an “absolutely outstanding” player...
“I like the boy [Sarri] has brought in, Jorginho, I think he has been absolutely outstanding,” Wise told Goal.
“I have watched him and how he covered holes, how he pressed and he dictates to his team-mates as he wants them to do certain things.
“I think by bringing in Jorginho, you bring in someone who knows Sarri very well and how he plays and what he wants to do.
“When you have someone right in the middle of that midfield who understands how the manager plays and dictates that to everyone, I think it is really helpful and he has so much quality as well.
“I think he has given the ball away once over the whole pre-season. I am actually looking forward to seeing him progress over the course of this season.”

Looks a really good player but I do have some immediate concerns, he has been caught on the ball a few times, certainly against City and at times against Huddersfield, I suspect that he  is still developing himself to adapt to the Premier League where rarely do the midfield players have time on the ball when being pressed; give him half a dozen games and he should be up to speed and my concerns will be unwarranted.  

I know Sarri wants him to play in the centre, but at this moment I feel that we are missing Kante in front of the back four, he is quicker than Jorginho and covers more ground across the line whereas Jorginho tends to stick in the centre and doesn't have Kante's knack of nicking the ball from the opponent.  Early days but I'm not sure I like Kante playing on the right side, and perhaps as we gain more confidence in this style of play it will become apparent the exact role Kante will play both defensively and going forward....personally though Kante for me should play in the centre as he is the best in the world at it.

The minor concern and perhaps unwarranted, is who will become the penalty taker?  Hazard or Jorginho?  who decides...the senior player? the manager?   clearly both players are confident penalty takers and similar relaxing styles, but will one become pissed that they are not the main man when it comes to penalties and cause a rift?  lets hope not.

2 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

Looks a really good player but I do have some immediate concerns, he has been caught on the ball a few times, certainly against City and at times against Huddersfield, I suspect that he  is still developing himself to adapt to the Premier League where rarely do the midfield players have time on the ball when being pressed; give him half a dozen games and he should be up to speed and my concerns will be unwarranted.  

I know Sarri wants him to play in the centre, but at this moment I feel that we are missing Kante in front of the back four, he is quicker than Jorginho and covers more ground across the line whereas Jorginho tends to stick in the centre and doesn't have Kante's knack of nicking the ball from the opponent.  Early days but I'm not sure I like Kante playing on the right side, and perhaps as we gain more confidence in this style of play it will become apparent the exact role Kante will play both defensively and going forward....personally though Kante for me should play in the centre as he is the best in the world at it.

The minor concern and perhaps unwarranted, is who will become the penalty taker?  Hazard or Jorginho?  who decides...the senior player? the manager?   clearly both players are confident penalty takers and similar relaxing styles, but will one become pissed that they are not the main man when it comes to penalties and cause a rift?  lets hope not.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently. They could almost do with swapping round but it does seem Jorginho is very set on dropping deep and being central. I hope it works out though because i'm still not sold on Kante in a more attacking role.

love watching this guy, just popping the ball off, one touch style, much much harder than it seems, you won't see many players anywhere that make it look so easy, and he also has good ball skills, going to be immense

On 17/08/2018 at 09:59, Kentonio said:

Stewart Robson thinks Jorginho is rubbish and can't see any qualities in him..

Absolute tool..

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1004407/Chelsea-news-Jorginho-Maurizio-Sarri

“He’s not going to be a creative passer, he’s a passer who just passes it square and sideways, he just keeps things moving"

:laugh2: I love it when players make pundits like him look like absolute clowns, especially when it happens only a few days after he made those comments and against his former side.

15 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if him and Kante eventually swap positions. 

The way Jorginho plays is almost entirely down to his starting position on the field, though. When he's the sitting midfield player, he can drop deep and recycle possession when needed, or turn (without a huge risk of losing the ball) and start play. When the ball is passed back to him, he sees the whole pitch and can ping those one-touch passes, which he's close to best in the world at. Kante is a good player with the ball, but he's not even close to having Jorginho's thought of mind and silkiness on the ball.

I think that our defensive woes today is more down to our lines getting too far apart, and everyone getting sucked in towards goal, rather than having Jorginho as our deepest midfield player. Sure, Kante is the best at sweeping in front of the defence, but you'll lose the heart beat and brain of the team if you put him there over Jorginho.

13 minutes ago, opinionsarelike said:

The way Jorginho plays is almost entirely down to his starting position on the field, though. When he's the sitting midfield player, he can drop deep and recycle possession when needed, or turn (without a huge risk of losing the ball) and start play. When the ball is passed back to him, he sees the whole pitch and can ping those one-touch passes, which he's close to best in the world at. Kante is a good player with the ball, but he's not even close to having Jorginho's thought of mind and silkiness on the ball.

I think that our defensive woes today is more down to our lines getting too far apart, and everyone getting sucked in towards goal, rather than having Jorginho as our deepest midfield player. Sure, Kante is the best at sweeping in front of the defence, but you'll lose the heart beat and brain of the team if you put him there over Jorginho.

I like things as they are, Kante's attacking movement is fantastic, if his finishing improves, he could get double figures this season.

11 minutes ago, opinionsarelike said:

I’ve seen it in the City, Huddersfield and Arsenal games that the gap between midfield and defence is sometimes huge. 

Don’t know if it’s a tactical thing or what but teams are isolating our defenders quite easily at times, often with one quick ball forward. The fullbacks are getting outnumbered and Kante doesn’t let that happen. 

I think Jorginho has tremendous qualities, his ability in possession isn’t in question at all but I’ve got my reservations that the role’s benefits will outweigh the defensive negatives. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

“He’s not going to be a creative passer, he’s a passer who just passes it square and sideways, he just keeps things moving"

:laugh2: I love it when players make pundits like him look like absolute clowns, especially when it happens only a few days after he made those comments and against his former side.

Be interesting to hear those views now. ESPN will be an interesting listen. I'm really not a fan of that show anyway. It's amazing that people get paid to blurt that sort of nonsense out their mouths. 

Sarri's Napoli was a good defensive team, with 32, 39 and 29 goals conceded in his three years there. And however good Kepa will be, I guess all of us at least expects him to be better than Pepe Grandpa Reina. 

Sarri knows how to organize a defence, he just needs to get everybody on board with the quick transition from pressing hard to the established defence. Right now we press well, but aren't quick enough to get back and track runners from oppositions midfield. That, and not have every single player getting sucked towards goal on crosses, of course.

I guess it's one thing at a time. At least we can attack without Hazard now, which we haven't been able to do consistently since forever.

Edited by opinionsarelike

4 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I’ve seen it in the City, Huddersfield and Arsenal games that the gap between midfield and defence is sometimes huge. 

Don’t know if it’s a tactical thing or what but teams are isolating our defenders quite easily at times, often with one quick ball forward. The fullbacks are getting outnumbered and Kante doesn’t let that happen. 

I think Jorginho has tremendous qualities, his ability in possession isn’t in question at all but I’ve got my reservations that the role’s benefits will outweigh the defensive negatives. 

There's no way kante and Jorginho can or will swap under sarri though. 

Sarri has picked up on the spacing between defence and midfield, so it will be something that will be worked on and improved in training.

Now we are turning into a possession side, I think we have to accept that we will be a lot less solid without the ball. Our best form of defence, is now keeping the ball, we aren't setup to soak up pressure. 

Just now, big blue said:

Now we are turning into a possession side, I think we have to accept that we will be a lot less solid without the ball. Our best form of defence, is now keeping the ball, we aren't setup to soak up pressure. 

I think once (if) you get it right, it's the best and most consistent way of defending. One of the reasons for that is that there is so much money in football these days, which means that even bottom table clubs can spend xx million pounds on attacking talent. They will create chances, and some times they will score. One corner, one freekick, one lapse of concentration is all that matters for someone to score.

Still adament that Spains national team between 2010 and 2012 was the best defensive side football has seen. They were unbelievably boring to watch, but you couldn't take the ball away from them. In order to play like that, you have to make mistakes along the way (like we did). At least Sarri sees that, and will work on it. He's not one to scuff away the defensive aspect of the game.

I saw some worries defensively but this guy is such a great player you can just see it, I thought he was absolutely superb today on the ball. I had no idea his distribution was this good before he came here, that ball to Alonso was beautiful. 

20 minutes ago, enigma said:

Be interesting to hear those views now. ESPN will be an interesting listen. I'm really not a fan of that show anyway. It's amazing that people get paid to blurt that sort of nonsense out their mouths. 

Personally I wouldn't waste your time - they will find a way to diminish the result - they are pulling for lolpool to win the league due to Stevie Nichol being on the panel - you should have heard those fools tear into Roma last season in the UCL - it was soo bad that Roma FO said something about them - check this out

Edited by robdog