Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 09/08/2020 at 10:15, Amputechture said:

10-15 million in this market? You've gotta be kidding.

Oh, you drive a hard bargain Ampie!! Alright this is my final offer. £4.70, a packet of crisps, and half an hour with your sister.

Bring your van round the back of Stamford Bridge tomorrow at 4.30 and you can take him away. If you drop him off at Arsenal it 's worth an extra £20. Drop him at Tottenham and I'll try and come up with the £10 million myself.

1 hour ago, just said:

Oh, you drive a hard bargain Ampie!! Alright this is my final offer. £4.70, a packet of crisps, and half an hour with your sister.

Bring your van round the back of Stamford Bridge tomorrow at 4.30 and you can take him away. If you drop him off at Arsenal it 's worth an extra £20. Drop him at Tottenham and I'll try and come up with the £10 million myself.

Come on now.. Regardless of what you think of his qualities as a player, surely we can at the very least get 25-30 million for him. Maybe not in the PL but abroad? Don't think driving a hard bargain would be necessary unless we were trying to recoup every penny spent on him, which let's face it, isn't gonna happen.

On 12/08/2020 at 04:46, Remodez said:

I wouldn't entertain selling him personally, at the very least he's a very good squad player. If he's willing to fight for his spot/accept a bench role I would keep him. 

He has been a key player for us ever since the first game he played. His role as the deep lying playmaker is very underrated, statistically he's better than Kante and Kovacic in many important aspects because he's a natural leader which is something that we lack in the first team overall and he's the only one part from Gilmour that is naturally fine with being at the base of the midfield alone.

Kante was better last season with Sarri so if he can avoid injuries he is really good for Lampard too, but at this point I would consider selling Kante instead of Jorginho. Maybe the way Lampard wants the team to play would suit a fully healthy Kante but at the same time it's strange to see first Sarri trying to make Kante play in one way and then Lampard trying to make Kante play in another way... After all the 4-3-3 that both Sarri and Lampard use the most isn't the formation where Kante is fully using his abilities. So just sell him while he's still capable of playing really well for 60-70m to PSG for example and buy a new CB for that money. 

In that scenario Jorginho gets to mentor Gilmour for at least one more season and we actually have more tactical options and we still have a natural leader in the squad that really needs it, we also use the Kante fee to improve the defense.

A lot of Jorginhos failures unfortunately seem worse cos of our lack of proper defenders+goalkeepers.  If we can make money selling him, then excellent but it does not make sense to sell him on the low. Also, I would like to have Chelsea have an iron clad defense and then judge Jorginhos impact. 

On 17/08/2020 at 18:28, brownindian said:

A lot of Jorginhos failures unfortunately seem worse cos of our lack of proper defenders+goalkeepers.  If we can make money selling him, then excellent but it does not make sense to sell him on the low. Also, I would like to have Chelsea have an iron clad defense and then judge Jorginhos impact. 

I know what you are saying and it might have some truth but I've never been one for that type of philosophy. A player needs to be good enough on his own merit. I hate all this - "the keeper isn't that bad it;s the defence" "the defence needs a stronger keeper behind them" "the striker needs better service" "the midfielder would look better but he doesn't have the strikers making the right runs....................................." 

If they all played their best game, we wouldn't need all these excuses. Didn't have to make such excuses for Cech, JT, Lamps, Essien, Drogba etc etc. Sometimes we just have to accept players aren't up to it and if they need better players around them to make them look better, perhaps they're not for us. 

Edited by Nibs

• 3 weeks later...

Does he lack physically? Yes. Can that get exposed in certain matches? For sure. But for me he is still a quality midfielder and I can see him flourishing playing alongside our new attacking talent. It seems like he's the odd one out at the moment in our squad and probably most likely to be replaced, but he's still an important player for me and I'd like him to stay. 

He had a great game yesterday as Italy controlled the midfield against Frenkie De Jong and his dutch colleagues.

21 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

Does he lack physically? Yes. Can that get exposed in certain matches? For sure. But for me he is still a quality midfielder and I can see him flourishing playing alongside our new attacking talent. It seems like he's the odd one out at the moment in our squad and probably most likely to be replaced, but he's still an important player for me and I'd like him to stay. 

He had a great game yesterday as Italy controlled the midfield against Frenkie De Jong and his dutch colleagues.

Italy looked better with Jorginho and that's while playing a much stronger opponent as well, in comparison to their first game.

Here are his stats from last season:

jorginho1920.thumb.jpg.ef11f0f5d75dc8d15ef329ef5713dc1e.jpg

36 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Italy looked better with Jorginho and that's while playing a much stronger opponent as well, in comparison to their first game.

Here are his stats from last season:

Have you got the same format for the stats for Kante, Mount and Kovacic ?

Would be interested to see how they all compare ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

40 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Have you got the same format for the stats for Kante, Mount and Kovacic ?

Would be interested to see how they all compare ...

I don't but I saw before the season ended that Kante had worse stats in the PL compared to Jorginho. I can try to find similar pics for them tonight.

On 17/08/2020 at 20:28, brownindian said:

We're not going to make money selling him, we bought him for £50m, potentially rising to £57m.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11436716/chelsea-sign-jorginho-from-napoli-on-five-year-deal

He's turning 29 in December and he hasn't exactly been a phenomenal signing for us in these two seasons. He's a Sarri signing and he's only effective in a possession type of a setup. apart from that he's quite limited. It's not as bad as Kepa situation, but if we were to try and move him I'm afraid it'll probably turn into one of those Serie A loan situations or at best a sale for a very reduced fee and he'll probably have to agree to a pay cut. We've been negotiating Bakayoko deal with Milan for months now and they're still haggling over his wages, and I'm sure Jorginho's making more.

Edited by abramovich

I think Jorginho will relish playing in our revamped squad personally. Having Mount and Havertz ahead of you in midfield, with the runs and movement of Timo, Pulisic and Ziyech, he will be spoilt for choice. 

Silva at the back with leadership will help control and assist the defensive line, Chillwell and James providing width. I genuinely cannot wait!

Played well, and i really felt for him and kante, because Havertz, RLC, and Mount, werent able to retain possession up the pitch, so it kept coming back for the first hour. 

I still think we should keep him, if we sell him, i think we will be in the market for a very similar player next summer, when we realize we miss his playmaking ability at times. 

Maybe not a guarenteed starter, but surely he is a useful player to have in the squad.

Strangely The Athletic journalists who report on Chelsea report that he isn't favoured by Lampard and will struggle for game time this season. They've said Billy Gilmore is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Not too sure personally and the fact he was given the captain's armband last night doesn't suggest a player out of favour with the manager.