Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

He's confirmed to no longer be the 1st choice pen taker, I think there is a debate to have about how effective the hop is since both Jorginho and Bruno Fernandes have had them saved recently.
For me the timing of it can be more easily judged as I don't think you can really slow down or speed up your momentum much after skipping.

It's good to have your striker take them though, it keeps ther confidence up and makes it less likely for them to have a dry spell and put themselves in the spotlight of criticism.

12 hours ago, sonic90 said:

He's confirmed to no longer be the 1st choice pen taker, I think there is a debate to have about how effective the hop is since both Jorginho and Bruno Fernandes have had them saved recently.
For me the timing of it can be more easily judged as I don't think you can really slow down or speed up your momentum much after skipping.

It's good to have your striker take them though, it keeps ther confidence up and makes it less likely for them to have a dry spell and put themselves in the spotlight of criticism.

Werner did get that confidence and considering how hard he has been working in games he deserved it but I would personally put Kai Havertz on that duty, I saw somewhere he has 13/13 from the penalty spot. 

On 06/11/2020 at 05:08, Gol15 said:

Werner did get that confidence and considering how hard he has been working in games he deserved it but I would personally put Kai Havertz on that duty, I saw somewhere he has 13/13 from the penalty spot. 

We're talking about Germans mate. That is the average record

• 2 weeks later...

Jorginho seems to be a touchy subject, just always had the thought that he’s a bit of a cult player. Doesn’t offer enough from a defensive standpoint and didn’t today either imho, would be very worried if Kante got injured and we had to rely on Jorgi, can see now why keeping Amps wouldn’t of been a bad idea, but feel Billy will force his way in again at some point. I’m by no means saying I dislike Jorginho or anything, just have my concerns. 😬

Edited by Floyd25

32 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Jorginho seems to be a touchy subject, just always had the thought that he’s a bit of a cult player. Doesn’t offer enough from a defensive standpoint and didn’t today either imho, would be very worried if Kante got injured and we had to rely on Jorgi, can see now why keeping Amps wouldn’t of been a bad idea, but feel Billy will force his way in again at some point. I’m by no means saying I dislike Jorginho or anything, just have my concerns. 😬

Actually the only thing he did good today was his defensive work. He was passing below 90% and didn't point to anyone to make a run, we didn't create anything in the whole second half we were saved by the press that won us the ball and Ziyech created a great chance that Werner missed but Giroud was there.

In my book Ziyech is our best passer and best creator already.

Like I said, he did well defensively but he was poor with the ball, not typical for him to have such weak forward passes. Rennes tactically overwhelmed us in the second half and they targeted our left side knowing that Chilwell and Werner will be tired. Hopefully we make adjustments for Spurs.

21 hours ago, dkw said:

I thought he was terrible last night, his passing was off but also he picked the wrong pass far too often, it was basically left to Mount to create anything at all.

He just doesn't have it in him. The more I watch other players in his position, the more I see that Jorginho - while exceptional technically - just lacks a little of the same mentality as the top players in his position. 

Watched Modric have a quiet game in the first half vs a fired-up Inter. Wasn't at his best but everything about him - his touch, his mobility, is still class above any other deep-lying playmaker. The thing that strikes me about him is his mastery of tempo; in the first half he was adept at playing quick balls and combining at speed to support Real's quick counter-attacks, and then after Real's penalty he was able to slow down the game and focus on keeping the ball in Inter's half. 

Jorginho is capable of lifting his game, and he regularly does for Italy, but his inability to play any other role/position seems to hamper the other midfielders. I think we could justify that if he were a bigger attacking threat, but he plays the game so slowly - he rarely plays the ball to rushing wide players and instead prefers the shorter pass either backwards or to a static midfielder. He does all the right things, gets decent numbers but his plays always seem to be a few seconds behind the moment of maximum effectiveness.

He could be a good player for another club, but I'm becoming more and more certain that he is the odd one out at Chelsea.

He remains a very useful squad player in certain situations. I agree he doesn't do enough going forward, but he seems to be trying those long balls. While Gilmour continues to develop he will still have a purpose at Chelsea.

That said, his is impact has lessened with Silva in the team, as there is now finally a defender who can organise the defence and DMs... 

10 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

He just doesn't have it in him. The more I watch other players in his position, the more I see that Jorginho - while exceptional technically - just lacks a little of the same mentality as the top players in his position. 

Watched Modric have a quiet game in the first half vs a fired-up Inter. Wasn't at his best but everything about him - his touch, his mobility, is still class above any other deep-lying playmaker. The thing that strikes me about him is his mastery of tempo; in the first half he was adept at playing quick balls and combining at speed to support Real's quick counter-attacks, and then after Real's penalty he was able to slow down the game and focus on keeping the ball in Inter's half. 

Jorginho is capable of lifting his game, and he regularly does for Italy, but his inability to play any other role/position seems to hamper the other midfielders. I think we could justify that if he were a bigger attacking threat, but he plays the game so slowly - he rarely plays the ball to rushing wide players and instead prefers the shorter pass either backwards or to a static midfielder. He does all the right things, gets decent numbers but his plays always seem to be a few seconds behind the moment of maximum effectiveness.

He could be a good player for another club, but I'm becoming more and more certain that he is the odd one out at Chelsea.

Yes. Hard to overstate how good Modric is imo. So much to his game, and you’re absolutely right about tempo. I’m always blown away by the variety, selection and weighting of his passing. His performance against England (and others too) in the World Cup was a masterclass in those respects. Croatia wouldn’t have got anywhere near the final without Modric in the side. One of those talismanic players. Poor Jorginho though that you chose to compare the two :). He’s a decent player, as you say, and seems like a great lad too with a really good attitude, but I agree he’s better off plying his trade elsewhere.

On 24/11/2020 at 21:59, Floyd25 said:

Can't see Billy as a defensive midfielder don't think his reactions are fast enough defensively just like Jorginho. 

21 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Agree with all of this unfortunately, its a shame as he is obviously a good player in the system that suits him (Italy). I honestly think we would have sold him had Gilmour not got that bad injury and been fit at the start of the season

On 26/11/2020 at 22:00, Strider6003 said:

Can't see Billy as a defensive midfielder don't think his reactions are fast enough defensively just like Jorginho. 

Thought the defensive side of his game against Liverpool particularly last season was very good, still young and plenty of time to develop his defensive attributes as well. I can see him being much more involved once he’s fully match fit. 

Edited by Floyd25

• 3 weeks later...

We almost looked like a different team in the first 30 minutes, full control like a long time ago. Really happy with Jorginho's input considering that it has been a while since he had a start, if only Werner scored from that great ball from Pulisic we would have been 2:0 up at half time... But it is what it is, a win against Arsenal is a must.

To think that once Lampard buys Rice, that we can safely sell Jorginho is a good comfort, and hopefully Gilmour has learned something from him by now. 

14 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We almost looked like a different team in the first 30 minutes, full control like a long time ago. Really happy with Jorginho's input considering that it has been a while since he had a start, if only Werner scored from that great ball from Pulisic we would have been 2:0 up at half time... But it is what it is, a win against Arsenal is a must.

To think that once Lampard buys Rice, that we can safely sell Jorginho is a good comfort, and hopefully Gilmour has learned something from him by now. 

He was okay for the first half hour, but he was pretty poor after that. Hard to criticise players like him, emerson, and azpi, since they havent played much this season.

Tonight was the first game I've been impressed by Jorginho in a long time, which is probably a bit strange to say given he was somewhat wasteful with his passing. 

Mistakes aside, it was the first time in a long time I saw him turn with the ball in possession, play passes to wide players and form a back three with Zouma/Silva in possession. Three basic things, but crucial elements to a deep-lying playmaker's role that seemed to have deserted Jorginho over the last 12 months or so.

I still think he's a misfit in midfield and I don't think he has the quality to be a starter long-term, but hopefully this is a sign of improvement.

He's being played in the wrong matches in my opinion, he's clearly not someone you want in a physical midfield battle. The teams that are defending a draw and not coming out is where Jorginho will be handy to help try to unlock them I think. Without a prime world class partner like prime Matic or Kante, we can't get the best out of someone like him at all times.