Gianfranco Zola - Welcome home you little magician!

nonotnowjim
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Hopefully he can teach our players how to do proper free kicks.  Willian had that run and Alonso is decent, but we've never really had an expert free kick taker since Zola himself.  Lampard would just smash them and Drogba had his moments but an out and out FK expert can be really useful.  I know if I was in the squad I'd be taking advantage of Zola's expertise.

giphy.gif

I could watch that all day!

17 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Absolutely delighted about this!! Glad to have someone so passionate about the club back in the door! 

Ballack as DoF would be the icing on the cake for me if there’s any truth to it! 

Really? I hadn't heard that rumour. Would be great if it were true, Ballack's tweets alone are evidence of his fondness for the club, and he's probably no fool and not to be trifled with.

1 minute ago, Valerie said:

Really? I hadn't heard that rumour. Would be great if it were true, Ballack's tweets alone are evidence of his fondness for the club, and he's probably no fool and not to be trifled with.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/michael-ballack-on-chelsea-shortlist-for-director-of-football-role-a3846556.html%3famp

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/964329/Chelsea-Michael-Ballack-director-of-football-Stamford-Bridge

Gone a bit quiet of late but that was towards the tail end of May!

Zola, Zola Zola, Zola Zola, Zola, Franco Zola !

Golo, Golo Golo, Golo Golo, Golo Kante !

7 minutes ago, coco said:

Hmmm, don't call us......................................................!!

I often wondered what players could possibly learn from a coach who couldn't make it to the elite level, now we got a coach who's that elite and instantly command respect from players. If Hazard couldn't learn from Zidane, think Zola is the next best choice to develop further.

Nice to see Franco back as he's a lovely fella and was a joy to watch in his day. I just hope he's more a Steve Clarke than a John Hollins. I just can't get as carried away by his appointment as many as I'll wait to see whether his own abilities in the 90's will lift our players to a whole new level this season. His own record in management hasn't exactly been stellar, so let's hope that he's more suited to being an assistant. Is he the only assistant or has Sarri brought his right hand man from Napoli with him?

20 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

I often wondered what players could possibly learn from a coach who couldn't make it to the elite level, now we got a coach who's that elite and instantly command respect from players. If Hazard couldn't learn from Zidane, think Zola is the next best choice to develop further.

Wasn't it Arrigo Sacchi that said "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

8 hours ago, Michael said:

Hopefully he can teach our players how to do proper free kicks.  Willian had that run and Alonso is decent, but we've never really had an expert free kick taker since Zola himself.  Lampard would just smash them and Drogba had his moments but an out and out FK expert can be really useful.  I know if I was in the squad I'd be taking advantage of Zola's expertise.

giphy.gif

I could watch that all day!

To be fair Alex was very scary lining up a freekick albeit for different reasons :laugh2:

So, the name of the video above - "all 80 goals for Chelsea". If you haven't watched the Maestro, you probably expect a lot of deflections, penalties, 6 yards goals... nothing like that.

I count 8 must score goals, 2 penalties and 70 freaking amazing, world classy goals that will find place in every single compilation of the contemporary football players' ''top 10 or top 20 goals'' in their careers. this semi-god Gianfranco has arguably scored the most sensational goals of any football player ever.

30 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Gianfranco Zola - all 80 goals for Chelsea FC  

Enjoy.

Thanks Ersk, got something to watch over the weekend. Bought us some great moments, players since have won more, but Franco was the one in my eyes more than any other  who turned us from nearly men into the winning machine we are today.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Gianfranco Zola - all 80 goals for Chelsea FC  

Enjoy.

He was on fire that 02/03 season. That's when I started following chelsea properly. I remember listening to the first game of the season on the radio, 0-2 down to CHarlton and he scored just ebfore half time i think, and we won 3-2 with late goals from Lampard and Carlton Cole.

Despite everything we've won since Roman came in, that first season of following them is still my favourite. Even though we won nothing.

Edited by Zeta