Kev56

Sarriball

43 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Literally this exact same thing was said 100's of times about Pep but his City team just passed its way to a record breaking title.

The difference is that he had half a billion pounds to get the players needed for the system he plays. Sarri won't get that, so he's very likely going to be left with players not suited for his system.  We couldn't play out from the back last season and i highly doubt Sarri is going to get the players needed to fix that problem in only 15 days.

42 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The difference is that he had half a billion pounds to get the players needed for the system he plays. Sarri won't get that, so he's very likely going to be left with players not suited for his system.  We couldn't play out from the back last season and i highly doubt Sarri is going to get the players needed to fix that problem in only 15 days.

Only Sane, Ederson, Stones & Walker were Pep buys for the core of the 100 point team. Delph, Otamendi, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero & Fernandinho were already at the club. He didn't exactly buy a completely new team, that's a myth.

Also, we couldn't play out from the back because our manager didn't want us to. Luiz, Christensen, Rudiger, Amapdu, Azpilicueta, Emerson, Alonso are all technical players for their position.  We only really lacked a passing DM & we now have that with Jorginho who's probably the best in his position. They'll have no problems using positional play.

The problem is in attack. Hazard is the most technical player in the League & is tailor made for this system but Morata/Willian are toothless & we will struggle if they aren't replaced by better players. Not enough goals in that front 3.

Edited by Gilvorak

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

Only Sane, Ederson, Stones & Walker were Pep buys for the core of the 100 point team. Delph, Otamendi, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero & Fernandinho were already at the club. He didn't exactly buy a completely new team, that's a myth.

Man City has been buying players for Pep since 2012, when they hired Txiki Begiristain as their Director of Football. It has been widely reported that Pep directed City to buy De Bruyne while he was still at Munich. 

We don't have the squad depth to compete with City yet and like others have said our attack is very poor since Morata has been a flop so we don't have a nasty player to bang in 20 goals in the league, like we used to with Diego Costa.

We will be fighting for the top 4, I don't expect us to fight for the title at all but a top 4 finish would be great, hopefully the team manage to get that and Sarri doesn't get sacked after 1 year.

9 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Sarri has managed to implement his style without billions to spend in the past, unlike Pep. 

Regardless, we spent £120m and £235m in the two years that Conte was here so Sarri will certainly get money spent on his team. Even with the 'one in, one out' policy we would be replacing unsuitable players with ones that fit Sarriball.

I imagine it'll probably take a year to perfect like with Pep at City but when we get there my god it is going to be gorgeous to watch. Exciting times ahead.

It will take time to implement his style, I hope when the bad results come ( sooner or later), people don't panic and calling him out. We can't have it both ways, got be patient and take some bad results along the way to achieve the long term goal.

14 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

We couldn't play out from the back because Conte's understanding of positional play was not developed enough. The few concepts he taught the team were easily countered in the second season and his tactics were too primitive to overcome the oppositions countermeasures. Sarri has much better understanding of positional play which will give us a much better structure when playing out from the back.

18 hours ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

I'm excited for a new chapter of Chelsea football. Hopefully Sarri is given the time he needs to implement his ideas (that I think is going to be the biggest hurdle).

Why would it? Conte had us playing joyless football and barely winning for the second half of the season yet it wasn't until he started fights with almost everyone in the club his job was in jeopardy, and even then he still would have kept it had the negotiations with Sarri gone wrong.

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

Why would it? Conte had us playing joyless football and barely winning for the second half of the season yet it wasn't until he started fights with almost everyone in the club his job was in jeopardy, and even then he still would have kept it had the negotiations with Sarri gone wrong.

I meant the board giving him the time he may need, not necessarily that his style of football may take a long time to implement (sorry for my lack of ability to clearly type out my thoughts in a complete manner :slap_face:). He might be able to implement his style faster than Conte did. The club could very well be changing their philosophy on how much rope they give managers from now on, if they do that then Sarri will probably have the time he needs to get the squad playing the right kind of football. Honestly, I really don't care how we win as long as we win. 

The unknown factor here is how our squad will look at the start of the season. We supposedly have a few players eyeing an exit this summer. But with the transfer window closing August 9th we have very little time to replace them. So we then have to decide whether to let them go without adequate replacements, pay over the odds for a last minute signing, or kepp a player who may want out and unsettle the dressing room. Hopefully Sarri is able to unite whatever squad he has at the start of the season.

4 hours ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

I meant the board giving him the time he may need, not necessarily that his style of football may take a long time to implement (sorry for my lack of ability to clearly type out my thoughts in a complete manner :slap_face:). He might be able to implement his style faster than Conte did. The club could very well be changing their philosophy on how much rope they give managers from now on, if they do that then Sarri will probably have the time he needs to get the squad playing the right kind of football. Honestly, I really don't care how we win as long as we win. 

Yes I want to win but i want to be entertained first and foremost

2 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

What got me thinking about the trophy thing is United are starting the season in the CL with a serial winner who has won every competition he has entered atleast once, while we are starting the season in the EL with a man who is still awaiting his first piece of silver. Yet United fans are dreading this season and we can't wait for it to start.

I do believe in general that trophy's are the important thing at big clubs but there has to be a line somewhere.

Edited by Argo

21 minutes ago, Argo said:

I do believe in general that trophy's are the important thing at big clubs but there has to be a line somewhere.

Big club's need trophies yet every now and again substance is more important than a pretty cup.

I am in the optimistic camp hoping also for a signing or two before the season KO's yet think we will play better than we have for some time. 

On 24/07/2018 at 09:09, RIP Mourinho said:

Regardless, we spent £120m and £235m in the two years that Conte was here

And in that time Guardiola spent £594 million.

26 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

And in that time Guardiola spent £594 million.

£477m.

£192m and then £285m in the corresponding seasons. 

Yes he spent more but we certainly spend enough to challenge. All i'm saying is its not like Sarri has no money to work with.

On 23/07/2018 at 23:33, Scott Harris said:

Sarri's greatest strength has been that he improved players at Napoli and coached them into top class players.

19 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

£477m.

Yes he spent more but we certainly spend enough to challenge. All i'm saying is its not like Sarri has no money to work with.

Not going to quibble too much, babe, but I did the adding up thing on the calculator thing and it's 594 (593.82 if we need to be precious about it)

But your basic point is valid :biggrin:

It's not just about spending though. I didn't do the maths but I'm sure during that period we've generated a lot more mone than City through selling players ourselves. Our net spend's probably way below theirs. We've sold Oscar, Matic and Costa for big money during that period.

Just now, True Blue23 said:

It's not just about spending though. I didn't do the maths but I'm sure during that period we've generated a lot more mone than City through selling players ourselves. Our net spend's probably way below theirs. We've sold Oscar, Matic and Costa for big money during that period.

No doubt, but are squad is large enough to do that. We can't really squeeze anyone else in unless we flog someone.

15 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

Half our transfer income during Conte's time was loan army players or guys Antonio didn't want like Nate or Ake. On paper our net spend was close to neutral but in terms of the first team squad spend that was very far from the case.

Edited by Argo

41 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

£477m.

CMCbZWpW8AIPteS.jpg:large

21 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

I understand that, definitely. I mean if I can have it any way, I want to play beautiful breath taking football whilst winning trophy after trophy (duh). But if we have to sit back sometimes in order to win, I'm okay with that. I also don't want to "suffer" as we did with Conte so many times. Of course, with Sarri that probably isn't going to be the case. This year is probably going to be fun and frustrating at the same time. I'm ready for this chapter to begin.