Sign in to follow this  
ForeverCarefree

Kepa Arrizabalaga

4 minutes ago, enigma said:

I am glad this has come up! 

Fee's are fee's - Richarlsons been bought at £50mil so it puts this into perspective!

I hope Kepa comes in and cements his self into CFC history and makes us foget Tibo instantly!!!

8 minutes ago, Snedger said:

Trolling or not, it's a fair point he made.

Sure, but it's a point actual established posters here have already made themselves in this very thread (Nibs on page 4). We don't need a WUM coming in and trawling through old posts as a form of point-scoring exercise. 'Football fans guilty of hypocrisy,' quelle surprise.

Not saying this out of any kind of biterness, but as good as Courtois is, he is by no means as good as hype would suggest.

I've never been confident, for example, that he would save a crucial penalty, or save a match deciding one on one. Yes, it has happened, but I'm never confident in those situations. He's also very susceptible at his near post for someone of his experience. By contrast, Big Pete for example, always made you feel like it was a guaranteed clean sheet every game, and that he was one of us, albeit I accept our defence as a whole was better during his time.

It's felt like Tibo has looked for a way out of Chelsea ever since he joined, which is a shame. I don't think I've ever fully taken to him, and it's disappointing that we haven't been able to get more money, if indeed it is £35m.

Yes, it's a lot of dosh, but this kid looks brilliant for his age. I really hope he delivers (his track record to date suggests he will) and more importantly, is willing to stick around for more than a few years.

Edited by Elliott

4 minutes ago, Stim said:

Only if the posters he quoted are actually changing their tune else he is refuting a strawman. He didn't provide the evidence, and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Quite true and I likewise can't be bothered finding out. But knowing the typical football fan there will be a few (not necessarily those quoted) who at the very least convince themselves that their club has made a good decision despite earlier having a go at another club for doing something very similar.

13 minutes ago, enigma said:

I mean many fans contradict themselves on forums and twitter etc, we see it all the time. I don't deny that I've likely contradicted myself and said stuff I wouldn't agree with now if I was to go back in my post history. He is right, but at the same time, we are selling our no.1 keeper in return for another no.1. It isn't like Liverpool who straight out bought Alisson without selling their no.1 keeper first. People can look at it how they want, but I look at it as we're selling Tibo for £35m or thereabouts and bringing in Kepa for £71m, which means if you look at it like that we're paying £35/36m for Kepa as opposed to £71m. Again, it depends how you want to look at it though. 

12 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

Where did I say that ?. Please show me.

I'm definitely not arguing on his behalf and you've all made good defence of your quotes being used. I didn't read it as a personal swipe, just a reflection of how another club spending a lot of money on something of an unknown quantity is crazy whilst when we do it it's possible to find justification. Which some people are already doing on here and other sites.

Ultimately I don't mind. People can change their minds, the circumstances aren't identical anyway and it isn't our money that the club are spending. I hope the lad does very well. I also hope he gets some help from those with the responsibility of sticking the ball in the net at the other end. And that would be an issue for Kepa or Courtois.

Edit: I missed your responses and I'm clearly repeating myself. Apologies.

Edited by Snedger

Good exciting signing by the club a step slightly backwards in terms of goalkeeping quality but in terms of our style of play under sarri he could be a much better fit. 

Of the available keepers this summer he is the most promising.

Just now, PedroMendez said:

Good exciting signing by the club a step slightly backwards in terms of goalkeeping quality but in terms of our style of play under sarri he could be a much better fit. 

Easily on par or better than Courtois in shot stopping. If he can improve his footwork he could be up there with Neuer and Ederson.

2 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I'm definitely not arguing on his behalf and you've all made good defence of your quotes being used. I didn't read it as a personal swipe, just a reflection of how another club spending a lot of money on something of an unknown quantity is crazy whilst when we do it it's possible to find justification. Which some people are already doing on here and other sites.

Ultimately I don't mind. People can change their minds, the circumstances aren't identical anyway and it isn't our money that the club are spending. I hope the lad does very well. I also hope he gets some help from those with the responsibility of sticking the ball in the net at the other end. And that would be an issue for Kepa or Courtois.

If you are not defending him, then why are you continuing with the subject, and then quote me without any evidence of me saying what I am accused of saying. I'll say it again, please show me where I said anything remotely like that.

48 minutes ago, zolazolazola said:

Remember when we were linked with Alisson?

But Kepas worth it right ?

If you're going to use my quote criticising Liverpool's move for Alisson and then say the bit i have highlighted in bold then you should also find the quote where i said Kepa would be worth it too........oh wait, there isn't one :rolleyes: I actually said i never wanted Alisson because i didn't see much to get excited by and that the most i remember about him last season was him pulling the ball out of the net. With Kepa.....well, i don't know, i haven't seen much of him play so i can't say if this is a good move or not. He's highly rated though so i'll just have to trust what others have said about him.

1 hour ago, PedroMendez said:

This is the thing. I am not sure it is a step back. Kepa will suit our style more than Courtois does, so in that sense it is a positive move for us. Courtois never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet and being a sweeper keeper. 

My first reaction was that 70 million is an insane amount of money for a keeper, but that's only because keepers tend to be undervalued relative to outfield players. If we were talking about 70 million for a young, top class striker then nobody would bat an eyelid, which is weird because a good goalkeeper is just as (if not more) important to the team as a good scorer.

So, assuming he's as good as everybody is saying, I'm all for it. Considering his age and the way transfer fees are going, getting him now might even be considered a good investment.

Surely the papers reporting that this will be the highest transfer fee paid for a gk is wrong. That must still be the fee liverscum paid to Roma for Allison?

In this instance, it appears that Kepa (or his agent/representative) has paid his own release clause to free himself from his contract with Bilbao, and has effectively made himself a free agent to sign with Chelsea?

In that case, and whilst a technicality, Kepa cannot hold the highest go transfer fee record.

Relax, the pressure is off. We just got a free transfer to replace tibo!

10 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

This thread seems remarkably unexcited for a World Record/Club Record deal 

Still waiting for it to be 100% confirmed with him holding up a Chelsea shirt, then the fireworks will begin!

Just thinking does the Guinness guy come round with a certificate when you break the world record transfer fee?  Or at least a certificate in the post?  Ha that made me think wouldn't it be funny if Liverpools Guinness world record certificate just turned up in the post today.

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

Still waiting for it to be 100% confirmed with him holding up a Chelsea shirt, then the fireworks will begin!

Yes, exactly this. They said he was on the bl00dy plane last night. Where the hell has he flown to. Here could have driven here himself by now.

2 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Yes, exactly this. They said he was on the bl00dy plane last night. Where the hell has he flown to. Here could have driven here himself by now.

He was flying to Madrid from Bilbao to pay his release clause today. It's been confirmed by Athletic that he is a free man, so I think is only a matter of time until he is presented (since Chelsea are the ones paying for it). We may be waiting for the Kovacic deal to present the two players.

18 minutes ago, RMH said:

He was flying to Madrid from Bilbao to pay his release clause today. It's been confirmed by Athletic that he is a free man, so I think is only a matter of time until he is presented (since Chelsea are the ones paying for it). We may be waiting for the Kovacic deal to present the two players.

If he is now a free agent does the transfer deadline still apply then?

Would be f**king jokes if Madrid bought him now he's a free agent just to see tibos face if nothing else! Then we can stick rat face in the reserves and give bulka the chance he deserves! Not that I'm against signing kepa or anything just really like the polish kid looks solid if a bit raw!

2 minutes ago, LengmanJedi said:

Would be f**king jokes if Madrid bought him now he's a free agent just to see tibos face if nothing else! Then we can stick rat face in the reserves and give bulka the chance he deserves! Not that I'm against signing kepa or anything just really like the polish kid looks solid if a bit raw!

Not sure it would be worth £71m though.

40 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

If he is now a free agent does the transfer deadline still apply then?

If we want to register him with the FA for the PL, my guess is that we will have to complete the contract before the transfer deadline closes.

3 minutes ago, RMH said:

If we want to register him with the FA for the PL, my guess is that we will have to complete the contract before the transfer deadline closes.

That sounds correct but i have seen players signed as free agents outside of the transfer window. I hope it is as you suggest because surely we can't go through this torment for much longer. Logically if the club has officially announced the Courtois move as final then surely this Kepa deal is in the bag. it is isn't it?