Mateo Kovačić

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, IliyaKrostin said:

I wouldn't really he is level above of them. I can accept that he might have more experience, played with top players and clubs. But when we talk about winning competitions, then we would need players to score goals and win games, Kovacic isn't exactly the right player for that. He can play an important role in possession, building attacks and help in the defence, but when we need goals he is not the answer for that. RLC is showing his scoring ability this season, Barkley known for his shooting ability and he also can finish. 

Maybe Kovacic can still improve and become an even better player for us. Until now he does his job. And I would like to keep him with us, a trio of RLC, Barkley and Kovacic is an amazing rotation, but I don't think we should pay a huge amount for him to keep him.

I would say in the bigger games especially in Europe control in midfield is more important than goal output, especially given that you would think our problems up top would be somewhat sorted by then. The level in CL is so high while Barks and Ruben have improved under Sarri i have my doubts wether they can truly compete vs elite midfields, while i firmly believe Kova can.

I am the opposite to Argo. Not at all convinced by Kova yet. Sure I can see he has potential but he really, really needs to add some end product IMO. The swirly twirly in the middle of the pitch is definitely going to get him on Soccer AM next Saturday but we want more than that. Physically Barkley and RLC are bigger, stronger and better in the air. Kova covers more ground but is that really enough?

My usual measure of player is would I be gutted if they went to Tottenham? If Kova went tomorrow I don't think I would be with what I have seen so far.

I'm with you just...he does everything pretty well but nothing that's outstanding...and when we already have Kante and Jorginho unlikely to add too many goals or assists, the third midfielder needs to be a threat in the final third. Barkley and Loftus-cheek have their faults, may not cover as much ground defensively, but have statistically produced a lot more in terms of goals and assists despite playing significantly less

Agreed with above, he feels like a Moarata signing atm, where you basically wait forever for them to come good on the premise of their RM branding. We can save a lot of money in May sending him back and promoting Ruben, and improve the team to boot. 

I think Kovacic gives us good balance on the left, its not a surprise Alonso does well whilst he has Kovacic as cover. He provides us something which I dont think Loftus Cheek or Barkley offer and that is someone who could see out games when we are leading. I see him as a perfect squad player, someone who can start against teams who press us and maybe come on late against the lesser teams to see out a 1 goal deficit.

We are 4th in the league in goals scored (only 1 less than Liverpool and 2 less than Arsenal), and we’ve done it with only 6 goals from our strikers (5 from Morata and 1 from Giroud).  I’d say we are doing just fine in that regard, so Kovacic’s lack of goals does not bother me.  His work rate and tidiness is very valuable.

If we keep Kovacic and buy a proper number 9, I think you’ll see us only trailing City in terms of goals scored.

8 hours ago, coco said:

Agreed with above, he feels like a Moarata signing atm, where you basically wait forever for them to come good on the premise of their RM branding. We can save a lot of money in May sending him back and promoting Ruben, and improve the team to boot. 

Kovacic just defends so much better;  and what if Kante gets knicked - who steps in?  If you had to play one mf at all 3 spots in Sarri's system you'd pick Kovacic first, he's the only one in my opinion with the technical ability, work rate, and defensive ability to play all 3 spots.  I'd rather see RLC take minutes from Willian.

1 hour ago, mwblue10 said:

We are 4th in the league in goals scored (only 1 less than Liverpool and 2 less than Arsenal), and we’ve done it with only 6 goals from our strikers (5 from Morata and 1 from Giroud).  I’d say we are doing just fine in that regard, so Kovacic’s lack of goals does not bother me.  His work rate and tidiness is very valuable.

If we keep Kovacic and buy a proper number 9, I think you’ll see us only trailing City in terms of goals scored.

agree, if we sign him in the summer we have done well in my opinion,  people forget that we in the last few years have been in the Danny Drinkwater, Zappacosta etc type market place due to money and poor transfer business (not including Kante, Rudiger and Barkley) and if we fail to make champions league again 3rd time in four years and the North London duo do with their shiny new big stadiums and champions league football, it will be even harder as they may have more appeal to the top players who want to play in London. 

Kovacic is technically impeccable and difficult to press because he can dribble out of trouble, so he is very good at helping to retain possession against the Top 6 sides, but Barkley/RLC provide more of a goal threat. 

RLC in particular has come on fairly nicely this season. He distinguished himself versus Fulham, was the best of a bad bunch versus Wolves and provided a useful cameo against City. 

Kovacic is still a much better passer though. 

32 minutes ago, big blue said:

I'm a big fan of kovacic, but I have to admit he has been underwhelming. RLC seems to have more in his locker, and if sarri can keep improving his tactical discipline, then he could make that spot his own.

RLC's last two matches he's subbed on for Pedro and Willian.  RLC brings an obvious goal scoring ability to the squad, and I think he'll continue to fit in amongst the front 3.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get a run as the false 9 in the Carabao Cup match. Kovacic brings so much more in terms of work rate, possession quality and defending.  RLC's strength's can play 5 positions in this system ... Kovacic can play 3... but Kovacic right now fits a position like a glove more than RLC.

26 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

RLC's last two matches he's subbed on for Pedro and Willian.  RLC brings an obvious goal scoring ability to the squad, and I think he'll continue to fit in amongst the front 3.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get a run as the false 9 in the Carabao Cup match. Kovacic brings so much more in terms of work rate, possession quality and defending.  RLC's strength's can play 5 positions in this system ... Kovacic can play 3... but Kovacic right now fits a position like a glove more than RLC.

RLC has only come on as a winger because all 3 wingers have started the game. I don't think long term sarri will use him there, most of his other appearances have came in centre midfield.

Like I said, i like Kovacic. He does fit the system better than RLC at the moment, but in 6 months time, it could be different if RLC keeps improving, and since we don't even own kovacic, I'm hoping RLC does take that spot eventually.

It's like I have been saying all along, I just don't think he's an attacking midfielder. His best position is Kante's position. 

It's similar to Barkley. Play him as an attacking midfielder, and he looks more comfortable, play him in Kante's position (which he has been asked to do a fair bit in recent games) and he looks lost.

1 minute ago, big blue said:

RLC has only come on as a winger because all 3 wingers have started the game. I don't think long term sarri will use him there, most of his other appearances have came in centre midfield.

Like I said, i like Kovacic. He does fit the system better than RLC at the moment, but in 6 months time, it could be different if RLC keeps improving, and since we don't even own kovacic, I'm hoping RLC does take that spot eventually.

Going into next year Willian will be 31, Pedro will be 32, and Hazard may be at Real, and RLC may have to contend with Mason Mount.  Sarri tends to overplay the technical players, a player must meet a minimum technically at a spot, it's why he favors Luiz and Alonso.  Kovacic is so much more technically and work rate suited for the midfield than RLC.... What RLC has though is he's very well technically suited for the wing.  I think the Wolves game showed the difference some rate RLC very high in that game but the fact is both goals against went through the midfield gap between Alonson and Christensen, Kovacic would have clamped down IMHO.  The last 2 starts at the LCM role for RLC, the team gave up 2 goals.  Since those games RLC has played in the front.   It may be coincindence or may be changing of the tea leaves, but RLC's recent role moving forward may signify that RLC doesn't do enough in the midfield, but his attacking contributions are too valuable to leave off the pitch.

20 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It's like I have been saying all along, I just don't think he's an attacking midfielder. His best position is Kante's position. 

It's similar to Barkley. Play him as an attacking midfielder, and he looks more comfortable, play him in Kante's position (which he has been asked to do a fair bit in recent games) and he looks lost.

I don't think Sarri plays a 10... he plays 2 8's.  If you're going to play Alonso at left back all season, you need a midfielder that can cover for him.  I think many fans keep clamoring for Sarri's system to be the more traditional roles but it's not. It seems to go back to be a counter attacking team... kante deep lying ball winning midfielder and RLC as a 10.

26 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

Going into next year Willian will be 31, Pedro will be 32, and Hazard may be at Real, and RLC may have to contend with Mason Mount.  Sarri tends to overplay the technical players, a player must meet a minimum technically at a spot, it's why he favors Luiz and Alonso.  Kovacic is so much more technically and work rate suited for the midfield than RLC.... What RLC has though is he's very well technically suited for the wing.  I think the Wolves game showed the difference some rate RLC very high in that game but the fact is both goals against went through the midfield gap between Alonson and Christensen, Kovacic would have clamped down IMHO.  The last 2 starts at the LCM role for RLC, the team gave up 2 goals.  Since those games RLC has played in the front.   It may be coincindence or may be changing of the tea leaves, but RLC's recent role moving forward may signify that RLC doesn't do enough in the midfield, but his attacking contributions are too valuable to leave off the pitch.

It's easy to say kovacic would've stopped both of those goals against wolves, but he has been playing games where we have still been opened up on the left, so it's just speculation on your part. 

RLC has played the majority of his games under sarri, in the left centre midfield role. If Sarri sees him taking over pedro or Willian next season, why hasn't he been deployed there more? 

It's extremely unlikely mount will be deemed ready to compete for a place at chelsea next season, it's a big jump from the championship to the top end of the premier league. 

At the end of the day, we have to decide whether kovacic is worth spending £50m odd. He's neat and tidy, he has good work rate, and he's good on the ball, but has he done enough to warrant a big transfer fee yet, especially with RLC improving week by week? 

Wouldn't it be better for the club if RLC nailed down that spot? 

27 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

I don't think Sarri plays a 10... he plays 2 8's.  If you're going to play Alonso at left back all season, you need a midfielder that can cover for him.  I think many fans keep clamoring for Sarri's system to be the more traditional roles but it's not. It seems to go back to be a counter attacking team... kante deep lying ball winning midfielder and RLC as a 10.

Might be best just replacing alonso.