Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I actually agree with you on this. Kovacic miss controlled a few touches against Bournemouth too, if that was Loftus-Cheek, he would have been heavily criticised. Even in the match day thread we had comments about him almost getting caught out in the penalty area. There is way too much focus on every touch from Loftus-Cheek and once he makes one wrong decision or one wrong pass, he get's criticised.

Im sorry, but the detractions towards RLC aren't due to the quality or not, of his touches,they just ain't. If RLC shown half the defensive/tactical awareness of Kovacic during his career we may have thought twice about signing the latter.

He had no pre-season with us, is playing in a new League and the whole team are still learning a new system. Kovacic has looked good so far but it will be a few months till we see his real quality. I like Barkley but he simply isn't on Kovacic's level

Said it before but him and Hazard are going to cause serious problems for the opposition with their dribbling ability

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I've said Rudiger, Dave, Hazard, Pedro, Jorginho and Kante have all been spectacular. I've even said that Alonso has been great at attacking.

I'm not going to come on and say Willian, Morata and to a lesser extent D.Luiz and Kovacic have been good when i just haven't seen it yet. 

Some people on this page are so childish at times and take personal offence when people don't claim that our players are the next Balon D'or player in every position we have. 

I'm not offended in the slightest, I was just ribbing you a bit. You seem to have taken it a bit personally. Deep breaths and have a pint. :drinks:

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Im sorry, but the detractions towards RLC aren't due to the quality or not, of his touches,they just ain't. If RLC shown half the defensive/tactical awareness of Kovacic during his career we may have thought twice about signing the latter.

That left CM spot is for a creative player though, not someone defensive. RLC averaged more assists, goals, take ons etc. per 90 than Kovacic last season.

At this point Kovacic seems to suit the Kante role more than that AM spot.

52 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

That left CM spot is for a creative player though, not someone defensive. RLC averaged more assists, goals, take ons etc. per 90 than Kovacic last season.

At this point Kovacic seems to suit the Kante role more than that AM spot.

Kovacic played deeper than rlc last season though, statistics don't tell the the full story. 

When Kovacic was RLC's age, and played regularly in a more advanced position in his last season at inter, he scored more than RLC has managed in his whole career.

Even when you look at RLC in the youth teams, he was never really a creative outlet. 

I think there is no evidence to support RLC would be more of an attacking threat than kovacic, and he would likely be worse defensively aswell. 

Barkley and Fabregas would be the more attacking options to use, but the former didn't really grab his chance, and the latter doesn't have the physical capabilities to press as effectively. 

All in all, I think with kovacic in the side we keep the ball better, we press better, there is less vulnerability to counter attacks down that left side, he links up better with hazard and alonso, he takes ressponsibility, and he sticks his foot in every now then.

He had 6 shots against Bournemouth, if keeps getting shots off, then goals will come. 

You can't just compare Loftus-Cheeks' stats for a poor team where he had a lot of space and freedom to operate in/with, versus Kovacic who played for a team that doesn't get much space, and played a deeper lying role than what he does for us now. 

I personally think Kovacic is an absolute gem, who's been unfortunate to play in the same team and position as two of the greatest midfield players in the modern era. Naby Keita, before he signed for Liverpool, was my dream midfield player. That was before we got the Croat, who I rate extremely highly. Kovacic fits the modern midfielder to a T - he's very strong through the hips, has sublime control, has good spacial awareness and can run all day long (when match fit). I hope our club is actively looking to secure his services on a permanent basis, reckon we will have the best midfield in the league by the end of the season, with Kova, Jorginho and Kante.

Note: this isn't to undermine Loftus-Cheeks' ability. He has by Sarri's accounts done very well in training, and has been rewarded twice already, in a season where we have played four times. He will get his chances this season.

8 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I actually agree with you on this. Kovacic miss controlled a few touches against Bournemouth too, if that was Loftus-Cheek, he would have been heavily criticised. Even in the match day thread we had comments about him almost getting caught out in the penalty area. There is way too much focus on every touch from Loftus-Cheek and once he makes one wrong decision or one wrong pass, he get's criticised.

7 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Someone else has finally said it ::clap2::

Thank you, Scott. 

You see one criticism about RLC and you think the whole world is against him, who is even against RLC? I've seen like 2 people on this forum who don't rate him. And why do you have to bring it in every thread with you? 

It will be interesting to see what the Europa or League cup midfields are. Potentially Fab in Jorginho role - but maybe even Kovacic, or as some have said trying out Kovacic in the Kante role. 

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

You see one criticism about RLC and you think the whole world is against him, who is even against RLC? I've seen like 2 people on this forum who don't rate him. And why do you have to bring it in every thread with you? 

Most people jump on his back for every little thing. Go read the match day thread and you'll see. 

Find me another thread i've mentioned him in unnecessarily recently. Its a Chelsea forum, i can speak about Chelsea players where i see fit. 

15 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Most people jump on his back for every little thing. Go read the match day thread and you'll see. 

Find me another thread i've mentioned him in unnecessarily recently. Its a Chelsea forum, i can speak about Chelsea players where i see fit. 

yep,  and others can take the piss where they see fit.

11 hours ago, big blue said:

Kovacic played deeper than rlc last season though, statistics don't tell the the full story. 

When Kovacic was RLC's age, and played regularly in a more advanced position in his last season at inter, he scored more than RLC has managed in his whole career.

Even when you look at RLC in the youth teams, he was never really a creative outlet. 

I think there is no evidence to support RLC would be more of an attacking threat than kovacic, and he would likely be worse defensively aswell. 

Barkley and Fabregas would be the more attacking options to use, but the former didn't really grab his chance, and the latter doesn't have the physical capabilities to press as effectively. 

All in all, I think with kovacic in the side we keep the ball better, we press better, there is less vulnerability to counter attacks down that left side, he links up better with hazard and alonso, he takes ressponsibility, and he sticks his foot in every now then.

He had 6 shots against Bournemouth, if keeps getting shots off, then goals will come. 

Even when he was playing the number 10 role at Inter RLC still managed more assists and take ons at Palace. Kovacic getting a goal every 0.18 games compared to RLC's 0.1 games. Not a cast difference. 

RLC also managed better defensive numbers too in the two seasons. 

Agreed that we press better with Kovacic but RLC should be given a fair chance without people jumping on his back in the match day thread for giving the ball away once whilst claiming Kovacic to be our lord and saviour. 

11 hours ago, opinionsarelike said:

You can't just compare Loftus-Cheeks' stats for a poor team where he had a lot of space and freedom to operate in/with, versus Kovacic who played for a team that doesn't get much space, and played a deeper lying role than what he does for us now. 

I personally think Kovacic is an absolute gem, who's been unfortunate to play in the same team and position as two of the greatest midfield players in the modern era. Naby Keita, before he signed for Liverpool, was my dream midfield player. That was before we got the Croat, who I rate extremely highly. Kovacic fits the modern midfielder to a T - he's very strong through the hips, has sublime control, has good spacial awareness and can run all day long (when match fit). I hope our club is actively looking to secure his services on a permanent basis, reckon we will have the best midfield in the league by the end of the season, with Kova, Jorginho and Kante.

Note: this isn't to undermine Loftus-Cheeks' ability. He has by Sarri's accounts done very well in training, and has been rewarded twice already, in a season where we have played four times. He will get his chances this season.

Could argue Palace get no ball possession in comparison to Madrid dominating it in a poor league, thus Kovacic should have much better numbers. 

All in all, if you compare the two (Palace season and Inter season) they're very similar. 

7 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

yep,  and others can take the piss where they see fit.

Yep, that's fine. 

11 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

All in all, if you compare the two (Palace season and Inter season) they're very similar. 

I didn't follow Kovacic closely enough during his time at Inter, but Wikipedia says this:

"He is considered to be a versatile midfielder, having played in different midfield positions. He started off as an attacking midfielder at Dinamo Zagreb, but he transformed his game at Inter where he was deployed out wide and also as a central midfielder, functioning as a deep-lying playmaker, while being coached by Andrea Stramaccioni. One of his trademarks is dropping deep to receive the ball and then driving forward, often performing his slalom runs. Former manager Giovanni Trapattoni once claimed that Kovačić knows how to really reach the ball from deep and drive up the pitch like a 'raging bull'."

Zvonimir Boban (quote from Wikipedia): "He has talents that could make him even better than me, he is an incredibly serious professional for someone his age. Kovačić is a complete player. He is not a born regista but he is playing there now. He is a complete talent that can still grow — he has incredible potential."

You could argue that being 19-20 years old, being played around in different position, isn't the best for absolute production in terms of goals and assists - especially if he was played in a deep lying position often (which Wikipedia seems to suggest).

Anyway, here's what Willian told the official website: "Everyone has been training well. But I would say Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic have been very good." This was posted to our website 22th of August, so you'd have to imagine that Kova has made quite an impression after only a couple of weeks at the club.

And here's what Hazard said after the Bournemouth game: "The big difference is we bring two players - Jorginho and Kovacic - and they are completely different".

Not everyone is out to get Loftus-Cheek, as a matter of fact I believe most would like to see a young English prospect come through the ranks. And now, finally, Sarri is the first Chelsea coach who seems willing to work with Loftus-Cheeks' tactical deficiencies. Let's just be happy at that, and hope he can improve further and position himself to challenge Kovacic for a spot in the first XI.

any news about the injury? 

edit: 

But there is some good news for the 24-year-old as Blues boss Maurizio Sarri does not believe the injury is too bad.

"No. No. I spoke to the doctor a minute again and he said it was nothing serious," Sarri said after the game.

Edited by mojo

Really wish he had finished that second chance, as I had posted a couple weeks ago that he would pop up with a few goals this year.  Should have clipped it over the keeper.

The first chance I think was well taken and Etheridge did well to stop it.

Cannot say enough good things about Kovacic, what a player.  Hazard will always be my favorite but this guy is getting right up there.

Flicking through the footy news clips and I think that bastion of reliability The Sun has Kovacic as saying he studies video clips of Paul Scholes to improve his game. 

Was never sure about Scholes yet he certainly was capable of a cracking shot, let's hope Kovacic picks this ability up

4 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Flicking through the footy news clips and I think that bastion of reliability The Sun has Kovacic as saying he studies video clips of Paul Scholes to improve his game. 

Was never sure about Scholes yet he certainly was capable of a cracking shot, let's hope Kovacic picks this ability up

Scholes was undoubtedly world class. Good player for kovacic to try and learn from. 

Still not sure if I rate him, thought he was quiet today few decent bursts forward. Very early days yet though it'll take a while to get used to the premiership. 

At the moment Barkley would start ahead of him for me. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gonzo said:

Still not sure if I rate him, thought he was quiet today few decent bursts forward. Very early days yet though it'll take a while to get used to the premiership. 

At the moment Barkley would start ahead of him for me. 

And me.

Ummmm the guy was very good today. He put in a shift defensively too as well as getting forward at a high rate. Showed great composure in our half carrying the ball forward. 

Solid player who I hope improves and stats here. 

He's a good player but out of one of him and Kante you need a goal threat goal or creative outlet to make chances for others. 

I'm not sure either of those players are that sort of player which could lead to an over reliance on the front three to create the goals. 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's a good player but out of one of him and Kante you need a goal threat goal or creative outlet to make chances for others. 

I'm not sure either of those players are that sort of player which could lead to an over reliance on the front three to create the goals. 

Might sound a bit ludicrous but Kante might have to sit out some games where teams offer very little going forward. I personally don’t feel Kante is the right fit for the position he is being asked to play.

5 hours ago, ducavis said:

Might sound a bit ludicrous but Kante might have to sit out some games where teams offer very little going forward. I personally don’t feel Kante is the right fit for the position he is being asked to play.

There's definitely a question mark hanging over Kante in the new role he's being asked to play. 

When we don't have the ball he's still the best in the league at helping to win it back and getting an attack started but does he have an eye for a killer pass in the final third? Is he capable of chipping in with 8-10 goals? 

The evidence in the first 7 games suggests maybe not but hopefully he can grow into the role and start contributing directly to more goals otherwise at the least I could see him starting to get subbed off for the final 25 minutes to be replaced with Barkley/Fabregas who have more proven attacking attributes. 

Watched your game vs Liverpool. Mateo is alright but still a bit timid, not adventures enough. Opts out for a safe pass more often than not. Maybe it was by design because Liverpool'a press is amazing yet didnt seem to faze him or Jorginho at all. Still I feel he's adjusting and could use some more time, feel he can play a lot better than that but even as it is now, still solid. Not bad.

Edited by ManUnitedFan

Thought he was brilliant against Liverpool personally.  97.5% pass completion, highest number of tackles by a Chelsea player.

Throw in his assist and that's about as good a performance you could ask for from a midfielder in such a high profile match.