Mateo Kovačić

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Fair assessment. He made some bad mistakes too but I put that partially down to the team being in disarray. On the plus side, he’s adding variety to his game. Played some exquisite passes today that will be forgotten given what a disastrous match it was for us, but hopefully a sign of things to come. I actually think his shooting is improving, and his passing accuracy suggests it really should be a problem. I think both his assist and goal stats don’t do him justice. 

His passing was off today. Usually a lot sharper. Played a lot of minutes for Croatia in the internationals so probably a bit fatigued. I’m guessing international break had a lot to do with there poor play overall. Could be one of those bad games for everyone including the coach. It happens.

6 minutes ago, Kova17 said:

His passing was off today. Usually a lot sharper. Played a lot of minutes for Croatia in the internationals so probably a bit fatigued. I’m guessing international break had a lot to do with there poor play overall. Could be one of those bad games for everyone including the coach. It happens.

Yeah I’ve said similar things elsewhere on the forum about the game overall. And fatigue / disrupted momentum affected us more than WBA. Anyway, as you say one of those days. Jebi ga 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Deino said:

I'm ok with him sitting out the FA semi. I'd take a fully fit Kova rather than a rushed one. Rushing players recoveries have done us more harm than good

There going to need a fit kovacic to play really well if they want to beat Real Madrid. I’m sure there will be extra motivation there from Kovacic to his old club. 

36 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We have been managing without him though, as long as Kante and Jorginho are fit we can cope. The problems against the weaker teams we have had even with Kovacic so that's a harder problem to fix.

I disagree, I think we’ve missed Kovacic massively. Against Porto, it felt like there weren’t really anyone who can turn defence into attack which Kovacic is so good at.

Pleased to hear that he could potentially be back by next week. Looking like he’ll miss Madrid games though.

12 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I disagree, I think we’ve missed Kovacic massively. Against Porto, it felt like there weren’t really anyone who can turn defence into attack which Kovacic is so good at.

Pleased to hear that he could potentially be back by next week. Looking like he’ll miss Madrid games though.

The second Porto game was just slightly different from the first one and the 2 goal advantage played its part in it. I mean sure Kante failed to pass the ball correctly in a few occasions and we missed the energy that Kovacic brings when he's running with the ball but overall we did fine... Or maybe not fine but Porto was playing well in both games so it was a tough tie to go through only some details made us prevail.

I'm more afraid of Tuchel resting some key players vs West Ham right now because we simply must win that game first and foremost. 

Edited by Gol15
2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Nah we got a Brazilian born Italian left back for that task.

I thought he’d turn himself on to the dark art of the centre half between brief spells as a poacher up top? It was easier to keep up when he was a bench warming occasional left back. 

Edited by Munkworth
2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Actually he will only miss the first leg. He should be fit for the bench against Fulham and start against Madrid if we lose the first leg

For me our best midfielder.

Can't shoot to save his life yet has markedly improved in other areas.

Last season it was obvious he could dribble past two or three players yet then lose the ball, this season he dribbles past one or two then seems to pause and lay off a decent pass keeping the forward movement going. Nothing too flash just good m/f play.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

We can't rush him back for Real if he's half fit, we rushed Eto'o back the last time we played a CL semi final and look what happened.

If he's not starting against Real Madrid he's 100% on the bench coming in the second half anyway, that's how I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately looks set to miss tomorrow's game. Big shame because of all the players to want to play in this game it's him. Its games like this why he left Madrid to prove he could win UCL as one of the main starters. Hopefully we get past them so he can actually start a final.

As a romantic I think we football fans have been denied some really good reunions this season. Cr7 vs Mess I we only got 1 out of the 2 group games with both playing. Neymar missed both legs vs Barca. Jadon Sancho missed both legs vs City. These are passionate moments we as mutuals or fans of those teams love to see.

5 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Unfortunately looks set to miss tomorrow's game. Big shame because of all the players to want to play in this game it's him. Its games like this why he left Madrid to prove he could win UCL as one of the main starters. Hopefully we get past them so he can actually start a final.

As a romantic I think we football fans have been denied some really good reunions this season. Cr7 vs Mess I we only got 1 out of the 2 group games with both playing. Neymar missed both legs vs Barca. Jadon Sancho missed both legs vs City. These are passionate moments we as mutuals or fans of those teams love to see.

Yeah it’s a shame to be denied the dream script of a Kova worldy + match-winning goal.

A return to “normal” or at least a semblance of it, with the fans and the passion they bring, can’t come soon enough. So over this now, but am hardly the only one.