Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

15 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

Maybe from a big game standpoint, but Ozil has a 19 assist season to his name.

Funny you mention Ozil. Because I was thinking he would be PERFECT in games like this. Our midfield has a ton of time, and rarely have to defend. 

Just have good possession and let Ozil pick out a pass. 

We need an Eriksen, Silva, De Bruyne type though. Creative and capable of getting a goal on his own. 

Both Eriksen and Ozil are attainable though will cost a lot. 

1 hour ago, brownindian said:

Both Eriksen and Ozil are attainable though will cost a lot. 

I don't want Ozil... I was thinking about his talent in a vaccum. While from a skill standpoint, he doesn't remind me of Kovacic, from an attitude standpoint, he'd fit right into this team. 

We don't need another 350k per week, I'll play when and how I feel like it, 30 year old on the team.

But man, I'd take Eriksen in a heartbeat. Have a feeling we'll be seeing him in Spain though. 

Edited by Skinnedy

8 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Mesut Ozil.....that is who he reminds me of. He goes missing in pretty much every game he plays for us. You see more of him running off to be subbed than anything else.

Very harsh on Ozil that is mate. He might not be a big game player but at least he brings something to the party the rest of the time.

He's not a bad players he just doesn't suited to role he's being asked to play in this team. 

Stick him at the base of the midfield in a 4-2-3-1 and he'd look fine because then he's got four players ahead of him who have to do the leg work in the final third. 

Kovacic is generally quite tidy in possession and can bring the ball forward with confidence but as soon as he gets anywhere near the 18 yard box he's almost useless. 

He's in a position where he needs to offer an attacking threat or have an eye for lethal pass to open up a chance but he just doesn't have that in his game. 

Unless we're going to change formation then I don't think we should be buying him because Loftus-Cheek and Barkley are better than him in the area it matters most. 

Struggling to see what this guy is offering. Tidy player but often wouldn't know he is playing. The one time he made the box yesterday he nearly scored. Plays backwards/way he is facing and safe far too often. Personally I wouldn't sign him in the summer and prioritise an attacking/goalscoring midfielder or put faith in RLC/MM

He should be back up to Kante and jorginio. Another midfielder (Isco/Saul/Coutinho type) who can rotate with Loftus Cheek. This is where the system is breaking down you've got a tidy link from goalkeeper to defence to midfield and no one is linking midfield to attack. So they slow it down and then get exposed on the counter. We need a more attack minded midfielder

13 hours ago, just said:

Jack, haven't heard anything further from you since this kicked it all off. I'm interested to know if you would still spend the money to buy him?

Yes absolutely, still really like him as a player. His form has dropped since the start of the season but then so has alot of players. If the fee is reasonable we should buy, not many players have his technique but also great workrate and defensive ability. I seen some stats in this thread, they did surprise me, but Barkley never dribbles, his shooting recently has been as bad as kovacic. Barkley isn't as agile, keeps falling over and isn't as good with back to goal and in tight spaces.

Kovacic is being asked to be the creative player in that midfield 3 which he isn't, so its harsh to have a go at him for it, we knew his goal record before we got him. I think it's easy to be harsh to players when results are poor, people tend to forget the good qualities of players and i dont like to be a knee jerker ( is that even a word?) because as i said before things in football can change quickly. Also if our front 3 were more live Liverpools in terms of goals, i dont think too many would be criticising Kovacic. Kovacic has been disappointing recently no denying that, he is only showing flashes of good stuff, rest of the game he is quiet. At this moment i'd put RLC ahead of him.

Edited by jack_super_class

We have Kante who does all of the running. Kovasic is ineffective in our team. I would let him go back to Madrid and buy someone with end product and creativity. All kovasic does is be a ball carrier and we have enough of those in the team. Running and dribbling to only lose the ball in the final 3rd and nothing come out of it, is not helping anyones case. 

8 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Every game is the same for Kovacic, do sod all then get subbed off, he can never finish a game.

He can finish a game, i don't think he gets tired. I think its more to do with that Sarri won't drop Jorginho and Kante is a machine in terms of energy, stamina and pace to get back. So Kovacic is the easiest one to replace.

3 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

He can finish a game, i don't think he gets tired. I think its more to do with that Sarri won't drop Jorginho and Kante is a machine in terms of energy, stamina and pace to get back. So Kovacic is the easiest one to replace.

I think it's more to do with that his ineffective when he is playing. With Pullisic signing for 58m I can see Real asking for the same money and that would be crazy.

5 hours ago, Semper Fi said:

We have Kante who does all of the running. Kovasic is ineffective in our team. I would let him go back to Madrid and buy someone with end product and creativity. All kovasic does is be a ball carrier and we have enough of those in the team. Running and dribbling to only lose the ball in the final 3rd and nothing come out of it, is not helping anyones case. 

If he signs a permanent deal you will have no excuse anymore when you don't write his name properly :big_boss:

4 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Thought he had one of his better games last night. Looks much better at RCM or at the base of the trio.

MOTM for me. He adds some Steel at the base that Jorginho lacks.

3 hours ago, just said:

Would give him a go in Jorginho's role. Just to see how he got on. But there is probably more chance of CHO starting a game than there is of that happening.

Agreed, he's quicker and better in the tackle than Jorginho is.

Only problem is that he likes to go on a few mazy runs and that'll leave us completely exposed even more so than usual :biggrin:

5 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

Agreed, he's quicker and better in the tackle than Jorginho is.

Only problem is that he likes to go on a few mazy runs and that'll leave us completely exposed even more so than usual :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong. I still wouldn't spend a penny to get him here permanently. There is still nowhere near enough consistency or end product. I just want to see Jorginho on the bench where he really deserves to be at the moment.

God  I miss the likes of Essien, Ballack, Makalele. We really have gone backwards haven't we?

14 hours ago, just said:

Don't get me wrong. I still wouldn't spend a penny to get him here permanently. There is still nowhere near enough consistency or end product. I just want to see Jorginho on the bench where he really deserves to be at the moment.

God  I miss the likes of Essien, Ballack, Makalele. We really have gone backwards haven't we?

Yes we have but so have many clubs. It's a lot harder to get top players now as it was in the past.

21 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

That bit of skill followed by that pass for Pedro in the first half was class.

I think he didn’t get enough credit for that and a few other similar would-be assists over the season. They’d have been noticed a lot more if the receiver had done more with them. Let’s also not forget he’s only 24, so probably a good few years off his peak. I find some of you on here don’t factor potential enough into your assessments of our players, unless it’s Hudson Odoi. Let’s not forget that Salah when he left us wasn’t quite big the player he is now, and nobody cared much when he left. There are other examples too.

He's a good player, we just aren't using him in the right role. He should be playing in the Jorginho role, or the bases of a 4231 if we ever going that way. He hasn't scored for 2 years even with Real, so our frustration with him not scoring is largely due to that's not where his best is, that position should go to RLC.

4 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I really like him in Jorginho role, better tackler, quicker around the pitch and his dribbling in tight spaces is good too.

He certainly made a couple of crucial tackles last night.