Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

Posted (edited)

If I'm informed correctly getting Kovacic is impossible at this time, since he would have to sign a new contract. So at this point the only question is how much he can help the team until the end of the season.

This whole situation with having too many midfielders could really take a bad turn if RLCs back issues continue and Kova leaves. I think Ross is not as bad a player as some make him out to be, but I don't know if he can handle the pressure at a big club and people will use him as a scapegoat.

Edited by Vagabond

11 hours ago, just said:

I don't dislike him, but I don't think he is anything special. Same again today when he came on.

If it helps in any way I feel the same about Jorginho. Though, credit where it is due, he scored a very nice finish today. 

Just for the sake of balance Vaga I hope you are also picking up those posters who repeatedly point out the perceived short-comings of Willian, Alonso and Barkley? 

Alonso I can understand, since he had some really, really bad blackouts this season. Remember him laying down against United in the box while the ball was still in play and basically gifting them the equalizer? Or the absolute idiocy of not paying attention for the City first goal on that day we decided never to talk about again?

I actually like Barkley and hate when fans are putting him under a magnifying glass. Since the start of the season people are commenting on the balls he loses every game, I find it disgusting. I don't know which game, but I counted once and in a game were Hazard lost 3 more balls than Barkley, it was Ross who was singled out for "having a mare".

Both Willian and Pedro are miles ahead of CHO in my book and saved our asses this season as well, which is why I laugh at people whining about CHO not playing. Every damn game I read the same whining about RLC and CHO not playing, which turns into hatred for their alternatives Barkley and Willian most of the times, since Pedro and Kova are playing too smart to be criticized that easily.

Sometimes I'd like them to play like 10 games in a row just to prove a point. But I get the feeling then I'll hear something along the lines that at least we used homegrown players... meanwhile one of those homegrown players put in a transfer request at not even 19years of age. How some Chelsea fans are defending that little sh*t (I'm taller than him ? ) is beyond me, but that's just me I guess.

13 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Madrid will ask for alot more than 30m, Pulisic went for 57m and he is on the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid want 50m.

He's like the Willian of our midfield, which is fine for a midfielder so it's not a criticism. More a reference to how average he is. 

I think we could do something like £30m and the rest in bonuses and they would accept, don't think even Madrid would be deluded enough to think anyone would pay £50m outright for Kovacic. 

11 minutes ago, Remodez said:

He's like the Willian of our midfield, which is fine for a midfielder so it's not a criticism. More a reference to how average he is. 

I think we could do something like £30m and the rest in bonuses and they would accept, don't think even Madrid would be deluded enough to think anyone would pay £50m outright for Kovacic. 

I wouldn't even want to pay 30m for him, would rather have RLC and another youth player. Save the money to buy a world class striker.

15 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I wouldn't even want to pay 30m for him, would rather have RLC and another youth player. Save the money to buy a world class striker.

Whilst I think he is average and is pretty much there just to make up numbers, he would still make a very good squad player. £30m for a player like him isn't bad, we spent that much on Drinkwater! 

Also don't think we have the luxury of getting rid of him and promoting another youth player (which wouldn't happen anyway), we aren't really blessed with midfielders right now. 

If Kovacic had end product he'd be a top top midfielder, his technical ability is the best in our squad besides hazard and willian, and he loves a tackle which I like. If we could get him for 25-30 million I think it'd be a steal, hes a very good option to have in the team

8 hours ago, Vagabond said:

If I'm informed correctly getting Kovacic is impossible at this time, since he would have to sign a new contract. So at this point the only question is how much he can help the team until the end of the season.

This whole situation with having too many midfielders could really take a bad turn if RLCs back issues continue and Kova leaves. I think Ross is not as bad a player as some make him out to be, but I don't know if he can handle the pressure at a big club and people will use him as a scapegoat.

Huh, that is interesting.  Do you have a link to articles or explanations on how the transfer ban will work for loans and options?  From what I gather (i.e. internet chatter that may be totally wrong) if we have a loan, we hold the registration, so that's fine.  If Kova's registration is back to Madrid, I can see how that would work against us.  But Higuain with an option for a second year or to buy, is... okay for the option for a second year loan, but not for the purchase?  

If no Kovacic, I wonder if we'll be forced to move Kante back to the Jorginho backup role, as I don't see anyone else in our squad or on loan who can play that (Bakayoko in a crude way, maybe Pasalic, very optimistically, Ampadu if he's trusted, Reece James if pigs fly?)

49 minutes ago, VG said:

Huh, that is interesting.  Do you have a link to articles or explanations on how the transfer ban will work for loans and options?  From what I gather (i.e. internet chatter that may be totally wrong) if we have a loan, we hold the registration, so that's fine.  If Kova's registration is back to Madrid, I can see how that would work against us.  But Higuain with an option for a second year or to buy, is... okay for the option for a second year loan, but not for the purchase?  

If no Kovacic, I wonder if we'll be forced to move Kante back to the Jorginho backup role, as I don't see anyone else in our squad or on loan who can play that (Bakayoko in a crude way, maybe Pasalic, very optimistically, Ampadu if he's trusted, Reece James if pigs fly?)

Reece James actually plays CM quite often for Wigan

21 hours ago, VG said:

Damn, I wrote a reply that somehow got lost mid transmission or smth. It isnt here anymore.

Long story short, I found it in an article on marca.com. Madrid considers both the Kovacic and Hazard matter closed because of the ban.

Would be nice to get a clarification from the club or UEFA about players on loans though.

Another game drifts by where I don’t really see what Kovacic is bringing to our team. He’s played 37 games for us and hasn’t scored a goal or had an assist? Considering he’s mainly used in the attacking role within the three midfielders it’s really not good enough. 

I really hope we don’t try and get him on a permanent deal unless it’s to rotate with Jorginho in his role as that’s where his best performances for us have come in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, he’s a very tidy footballer with the ball at his feet but that’s about it, which isn’t enough when RLC offers a lot more going forward and we have Kante as our box to box midfielder and then we have very talented players like Mount & Gilmour coming through that play through the middle.

4 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Another game drifts by where I don’t really see what Kovacic is bringing to our team. He’s played 37 games for us and hasn’t scored a goal or had an assist? Considering he’s mainly used in the attacking role within the three midfielders it’s really not good enough. 

I really hope we don’t try and get him on a permanent deal unless it’s to rotate with Jorginho in his role as that’s where his best performances for us have come in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, he’s a very tidy footballer with the ball at his feet but that’s about it, which isn’t enough when RLC offers a lot more going forward and we have Kante as our box to box midfielder and then we have very talented players like Mount & Gilmour coming through that play through the middle.

Agree with you here, though he did have an assist to Hazard against Watford, but I'm fairly sure that was his only one.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Agree with you here, though he did have an assist to Hazard against Watford, but I'm fairly sure that was his only one.

Funnily enough I was going to put in brackets I thought he had one but couldn’t remember the game so thought I was losing my mind!

Edited by EdinburghBlue

9 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Liverpool aswell for hazard. 

I thought he played well first half. Put a nice ball through to Barkley, and moved the ball well. Second half I thought he was bad, especially when he dropped deeper, where he was very sloppy in possession, and he dribbles into trouble too much. 

He's a good squad player, but he isnt worth the hefty fee real will demand for him in my opinion.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

After three-quarters of the season, I'd have to agree. His technique on the ball suggests he can be so much more, but he just doesn't have enough output in the final third. Even if he popped up with the odd goal, I'd say have a little more patience. But I'm just not seeing it.

If we're looking at backups for Kante and Jorginho next season, would rather us give chances to our academy. Don't want us splashing another 40+ million on a squad player. Save the cash for a position that we really need help in (CF, LB, LCM if Ruben can't get fit)

Edited by dustbin719

An absolutely awful 45 minutes from Kovacic. Hopefully there are no plans to make this loan move permanent. I wouldn't put it past the club though.

The even bigger tragedy is he prevents Ruben from playing (who will seemingly never get a fair opportunity and would be well within his rights to hand in a transfer request at the end of the season).

Hopefully he improves in the second half but I'm sure the inevitable 60 minute substitution will arrive.

Subbed off again today, and it was yet another ineffective performance from him. What I noticed with him and Loftus-Cheek is how often Loftus-Cheek got into the box, I don't remember Kovacic getting into the box at all today. Kovacic just hovers outside of the penalty area and plays the ball side ways, he doesn't offer anything to the attack.

1 hour ago, Nickcook26 said:

An absolutely awful 45 minutes from Kovacic. Hopefully there are no plans to make this loan move permanent. I wouldn't put it past the club though.

The even bigger tragedy is he prevents Ruben from playing (who will seemingly never get a fair opportunity and would be well within his rights to hand in a transfer request at the end of the season).

Hopefully he improves in the second half but I'm sure the inevitable 60 minute substitution will arrive.

There's no option to buy and we have an upcoming transfer ban. I don't think he'll be an option for next season.

Kovacic is really average as a player and adds nothing beyond cycling the ball in midfield. RLC has got to take his place.

I said in the match thread today I cannot think of any circumstances whatsoever in which I would pick Kovacic to start a game based on form. He lost the ball on the edge of our box in the 1st half which Wolves should have capitalised on, and once again his terrible decision making and passing in attacking situations was apparent.

RLC and Barkley are both better options. And give us more physical presence and aerial strength.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Amputechture said:

Had high hopes for him and thought he started the season relatively well. Seems to be getting worse unfortunately and just doesn't offer enough going forward.

Have to agree. Doesn't help he plays out of position. 

Edited by Nevamind

19 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

His best position is Kante position that's the problem.

Yep, we would be better off rotating him with Kante and, against lower competition, Jorginho.  Then leave that LCM spot to Barkley (for now, I really don't think he's good enough) and RLC.

If he was to play the registra role all the time then he would worth the £40m that it would probably cost to sign him, he links the defence to the midfield 100x better than the midfield to the attack. Unfortunately I don’t think Sarri will ever give up on Jorginho in there so as I’ve said before, not worth the money for the LCM role!

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

If he was to play the registra role all the time then he would worth the £40m that it would probably cost to sign him, he links the defence to the midfield 100x better than the midfield to the attack. Unfortunately I don’t think Sarri will ever give up on Jorginho in there so as I’ve said before, not worth the money for the LCM role!

That's the sad state of affairs, we're getting the worst out of Kovacic unfortunately. 

He's not the creative player that he was outed to be, and he's being relied upon to do just that and the results aren't showing up. He would be much better in Kante's or Jorginho's position. And right now I would rather sack Jorginho off, but we know that's not going to happen.