Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

I think Kova's shortcomings when he gets to the pen box has to a mental thing. He's so technically sound allover the pitch, yet plays like a pub footballer with a hangover when he reaches the edge of the box.  Still, he was excellent for the team yesterday and that's what matters most.

Jorghy and Kova made a great 1-2 in the second half, with Kova pushing through the whole midfield and passing to Tammy, that didn't score a clear 1v1 chance. That should have been an assist for Kovacic there, very unlucky that Tammy had a bad game tonight.

29 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Jorghy and Kova made a great 1-2 in the second half, with Kova pushing through the whole midfield and passing to Tammy, that didn't score a clear 1v1 chance. That should have been an assist for Kovacic there, very unlucky that Tammy had a bad game tonight.

Wasn't that an offside?

Brilliant at carrying the ball forward, incredibly quick feet, fantastic close control, dovetails nicely with Jorginho in possession, but... complete liability defensively. He offers no protection to the defence.

Kanté is once again the first name on the teamsheet when he returns to full fitness.

Kovacic was f*cking terrible when De Beek scored. 

Apart from that he’s so so good. It’s like having a CM Hazard at times. If he continues to improve over the season I have no doubt he’ll establish himself as one of the best. The way he carries the ball forward is sublime.

The improvement from last season is vast. I know he played well in the EL Final but this season he has stepped up. I'd like to think this is down to Franks influence.

Confidence in a player can make a huge difference and Kovacic just seems to be growing every game. He now speeds past the opposition at close quarters with sublime ball control and acceleration. He also now has a good pass forward. These improvements are seen in just about every game he plays and it makes me wonder if Frank will take him aside and show him how to time a run into the box and hit the ball properly. He nearly did it last night and I thought for a moment that he could become something special if he could score. He's got into a couple of scoring positions recently but has fluffed his lines. Take this out of his game and he becomes a special player.

12 hours ago, Deino said:

Wasn't that an offside?

No the offside was in the first half where he actually scored.  There were two would-be assist (Kova for Tammy) instances. It looks like something that must happen all the time in training. Only a matter of time before they pull it off in a match.

13 hours ago, Deino said:

Wasn't that an offside?

I don't think it was, as I remember the goalkeeper saved the shot from Tammy and then it was a corner. But maybe I'm wrong!

Some of the passes by Kovacic in this video, it's really difficult to say he doesn't pass forward enough, he's actually made some exceptional long balls but our players have squandered them. 

Played a big part in both of the goals, excellent dribbling for the first, took the midfield out of the game and slipped a ball to Willian for Willian to assist Tammy. The 2nd goal was an excellent ball to Pulisic for him to run onto loads of space which then created the 2nd goal. 

And 0 assists? Funny isn't it, because his only assist this season was an assist that Tammy basically did all the work on against Norwich, that's how misleading that stat is. He's doing a superb job so far, easily one of our best performers atm, can we really say for sure Kante is going to kick him out of the side? 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Played a big part in both of the goals, excellent dribbling for the first, took the midfield out of the game and slipped a ball to Willian for Willian to assist Tammy. The 2nd goal was an excellent ball to Pulisic for him to run onto loads of space which then created the 2nd goal. 

And 0 assists? Funny isn't it, because his only assist this season was an assist that Tammy basically did all the work on against Norwich, that's how misleading that stat is. He's doing a superb job so far, easily one of our best performers atm, can we really say for sure Kante is going to kick him out of the side? 

At this moment, no. I think that is how it should be too. I love Kante as much as anybody, but he is going to have to perform at his best before he gets into back into the starting 11. Kovacic is a different player this season and there is no reason to drop him in his current form. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

At this moment, no. I think that is how it should be too. I love Kante as much as anybody, but he is going to have to perform at his best before he gets into back into the starting 11. Kovacic is a different player this season and there is no reason to drop him in his current form. 

I thought Kante was good today even though many will disagree, back from an injury and all that, he did well, he just didn't do anything substantial but he was winning the ball back comfortably and passing the ball well. 

20 minutes ago, Slojo said:

At the first goal yes, he passed to Willian which made the goal chance and got the assist. But second goal? All Pulisic. I'm sure Kante is still a starter, so Kovacic might replace Mount, we did play with all 3 Jorghy,Kante and Kovacic before.

53 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

At the first goal yes, he passed to Willian which made the goal chance and got the assist. But second goal? All Pulisic. I'm sure Kante is still a starter, so Kovacic might replace Mount, we did play with all 3 Jorghy,Kante and Kovacic before.

Completely missing my point but ok, I guess the ball just spawned at Pulisic's feet. 

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Completely missing my point but ok, I guess the ball just spawned at Pulisic's feet. 

Yea I mean, switching the ball to the opposite flank ok, good job. Nothing to do with the goal in my eyes. At some point, a player that is playing deep, should pass the ball forward somehow.

How is it nothing to do with the goal... It was literally the catalyst towards the attack... I'm not saying it's an assist, the pass was perfect and allowed Pulisic to run onto space. Pulisic obviously done most of the work. 

Edited by Slojo

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

How is it nothing to do with the goal... It was literally the catalyst the attack... I'm not saying it's an assist, the pass was perfect and allowed Pulisic to run onto space. Pulisic obviously done most of the work. 

If you see how Pulisic played that, the agressive moves and the great pass to Batman and then the great anticipation after the deflection...I just see it as he created 2 chances out of nothing, just because someone passed to him before that, well that alone doesn't mean much, by that logic we can go even further back and see who passed to Kovacic, now that player is the real reason why everything happen.
I feel that you see so much in that one ball towards Pulisic because it's Kovacic that passed it. That's how I see it I guess.