Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

No? OK lets see how we do next game then, I will wait how long it will take for you to see it, my honest guess if this continues it won't be long at all, as the main guy in midfield he isn't actually controling the game, even Grealish made our midfield look like sh*t in the first half...Frank played now the same lineup two games, lets see if anything changes in the next one.

So you've actually come on this thread (when you said you wouldn't last time) to complain about the player who performed best on the pitch today, yeah definitely no agenda there. 

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Frank chose to highlight 1 player for the sake of the wellbeing of the whole team. Kovacic scored in two games after not scoring for 3-4 years, that's great but in both those games the team didn't win. Kovacic doesn't win us games, even when he plays the very best he can. I prefer to see the team winning instead of Kovacic scoring goals.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

No? OK lets see how we do next game then, I will wait how long it will take for you to see it, my honest guess if this continues it won't be long at all, as the main guy in midfield he isn't actually controling the game, even Grealish made our midfield look like sh*t in the first half...Frank played now the same lineup two games, lets see if anything changes in the next one.

So in that fantasy of yours Jorgi would've scored two goals against Valencia and four against Everton? I like it. Can you please also make Kepa better than he actually is and stop our backline being absurd in that fantasy? You don't have to since we would've won anyways, but it's really bugging me.

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Frank chose to highlight 1 player for the sake of the wellbeing of the whole team. Kovacic scored in two games after not scoring for 3-4 years, that's great but in both those games the team didn't win. Kovacic doesn't win us games, even when he plays the very best he can. I prefer to see the team winning instead of Kovacic scoring goals.

You are genuinely a f**king idiot. 

3 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Well yes, Frank has clearly come round to my way of thinking, but as I said in my post, there's an argument for playing all three, though personally I think our best midfield was on show today, and we completely won the midfield battle, though Mount faded badly second-half.

We conceded three terrible goals, the second two from terrible individual errors, that's not something you can pin on the midfield. First-half, we may not have created much but we were completely dominant and weren't half as open as we normally are. Second half starts calamitously and we're chasing the game with the clock ticking, so obviously we're going to be more open, but we still only conceded the third due to a farcical error.

By the way, I never blamed Jorginho solely for us being open, that's just a narrative that you spun for reasons best known to yourself. I just said we looked less open without him. That doesn't mean it's solely down to him. In fact I've praised him this season. I've said he's a good player, he just doesn't get into my best XI. 

That's my opinion. You're going to have to get over it. Maybe start obsessing about somebody else's posts.

I honestly believe our open play defending issues are a lot down to Zouma and Christensen as a partnership. Of course we're not peak Jose mark one with Fik partnering the other but we don't see the mamoth holes we do with these two. The games you named the other day where we were very open were all games we started with them two, the midfield had different variations including Jorginho, Kante and Kova all together which usually makes us more solid.

They should never play on the pitch together again, we should play Azpi at CB before that, infact I'll go as far as saying Kante should do a Fernandinho before we see those two pairing up again.

The worst CB partnership I've ever seen at the club, makes the Luiz and Cahill dynamic look like JT and Ricky/Gallas.

Edited by Argo

Just now, dkw said:

You are genuinely a f**king idiot. 

Last season people were actually saying that they are tired of average rejects that end up here and start having a big role, Kovacic was by all means that type of player that never stepped up anywhere in his career before coming here, like Morata that never had a leading role. People were saying that we needed leaders on the pitch. Now we are to believe that he's this God given midfielder just because he looks good while the rest of the team is getting burned left and right?

When you lose to a team that just got a new manager which put up a simple 4-4-2, that's not due to tactics, it's due to the players and our leading players are not good enough, 3 losses in the last 5 games and 2 of those against teams that were struggling in every possible way...When Kovacic shows he is made for great things I will be the first one to point it out, be sure of it.

25 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Last season people were actually saying that they are tired of average rejects that end up here and start having a big role, Kovacic was by all means that type of player that never stepped up anywhere in his career before coming here, like Morata that never had a leading role. People were saying that we needed leaders on the pitch. Now we are to believe that he's this God given midfielder just because he looks good while the rest of the team is getting burned left and right?

When you lose to a team that just got a new manager which put up a simple 4-4-2, that's not due to tactics, it's due to the players and our leading players are not good enough, 3 losses in the last 5 games and 2 of those against teams that were struggling in every possible way...When Kovacic shows he is made for great things I will be the first one to point it out, be sure of it.

He was a starter for Inter Milan at 19... You know absolutely f**k all when it comes to football, you just make it up as you go. 

Someone is still digging, I see. 

Gol15, do you have any idea what it takes for footballers from small countries  like Croatia or Uruguay to make it the top of European football? So many more hurdles to overcome, decisions to make (which country, which offer, which path...?) vs players in more developed countries with strong leagues, a strong academy on their doorstep... It’s a fight. It requires strength of character and is character-building, which may explain in part why the teams of these smaller countries punch above their weight so much at world cups etc.

To take that all for granted and describe Kovacic as a ‘reject’ or ‘average’ for not breaking into the Real midfield aged 22-23 is one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve read from you Gol15 in a v competitive field. Who was he supposed to replace exactly : Modric - one of the best midfielders of all time!?

Kovacic was always a great prospect, or else he never would have made it to Inter and a starter there at 19, as Slojo says. And Real wouldn’t have bought him in the first place. That proved to be a poor career choice by Kovacic, and one incidentally made by several players from former Yugoslavia over the years - aiming too high too early on in their career. Jovic has likely just made the same mistake. I listened recently to an interview with the legendary Serbian (Yugoslav back in his playing days) midfielder Vladimir Jugovic (some similarities to Kova by the way) reflecting on his career. He left Red Star Belgrade (a phenomenal side that won the European cup (CL equivalent) in 91) and opted for Sampdoria in 92-93 rather than one of the giants. He said his time at Samp was the most enjoyable of his career and the most important for his development. why:  because of the playing time. Said it would have been a mistake to move to a Juve (where he went on to become one of the greats of the 90s) or Milan too early, as he would have sat on the bench (3 foreigner limit back then made it even harder) and would never have got as good.

My hope/vision for Kova is that his move to Chelsea proves to be transformative, the one that corrected that earlier mistake, rescued his career and propelled him to the greatness he may be destined for... and that Real Madrid will regret it forever.  Yeah and ask Real Madrid fans if they’re glad they ‘rejected’  Kovacic. Ask Modric if he thinks he’s ‘average’. Ask Marcelo, Klopp, Guardiola....

Yo don’t have to share my hopes/vision, which may be far-fetched. You don’t have to rate him. That’s your prerogative. But as a fan of the club, why not show him a bit of respect and gratitude, if nothing else? After all, he’s giving Chelsea everything he’s got.

Finally, to the powers that be: if I ever write a longer post than this, please kick me out. 

Edited by Dean

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Gol15, do you have any idea what it takes for footballers from small countries  like Croatia or Uruguay to make it the top of European football? So many more hurdles to overcome, decisions to make (which country, which offer, which path...?) vs players in more developed countries with strong leagues, a strong academy on their doorstep... It’s a fight. It requires strength of character and is character-building, which may explain in part why the teams of these smaller countries punch above their weight so much at world cups etc.

To take that all for granted and describe Kovacic as a ‘reject’ or ‘average’ for not breaking into the Real midfield aged 22-23 is one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve read from you Gol15 in a v competitive field. Who was he supposed to replace exactly : Modric - one of the best midfielders of all time!?

Kovacic was always a great prospect, or else he never would have made it to Inter and a starter there at 19, as Slojo says. And Real wouldn’t have bought him in the first place. That proved to be a poor career choice by Kovacic, and one incidentally made by several players from former Yugoslavia over the years - aiming too high too early on in their career. Jovic has likely just made the same mistake. I listened recently to an interview with the legendary Serbian (Yugoslav back in his playing days) midfielder Vladimir Jugovic (some similarities to Kova by the way) reflecting on his career. He left Red Star Belgrade (a phenomenal side that won the European cup (CL equivalent) in 91) and opted for Sampdoria in 92-93 rather than one of the giants. He said his time at Samp was the most enjoyable of his career and the most important for his development. why:  because of the playing time. Said it would have been a mistake to move to a Juve (where he went on to become one of the greats of the 90s) or Milan too early, as he would have sat on the bench (3 foreigner limit back then made it even harder) and would never have got as good.

My hope/vision for Kova is that his move to Chelsea proves to be transformative, the one that corrected that earlier mistake, rescued his career and propelled him to the greatness he may be destined for... and that Real Madrid will regret it forever.  Yeah and ask Real Madrid fans if they’re glad they ‘rejected’  Kovacic. Ask Modric if he thinks he’s ‘average’. Ask Marcelo, Klopp, Guardiola....

Yo don’t have to share my hopes/vision, which may be far-fetched. You don’t have to rate him. That’s your prerogative. But as a fan of the club, why not show him a bit of respect and gratitude, if nothing else? After all, he’s giving Chelsea everything he’s got.

Finally, to the powers that be: if I ever write a longer post than this, please kick me out. 

Meanwhile Jorginho was at Verona at 19, but guess what? It means f**k all anyway. 

Kovacic actually had a reasonable amount of game time at Madrid, but it's Madrid, they're not known for giving youngsters time or letting players settle, they buy and play the best and expect the best every match, not breaking into a team with their midfield is hardly being a reject is it. 

Also great post, you should write long ones like this in the future, said it better than I ever could. 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

::clap2:: Keep writing the long posts mate.

I've just seen Gol15 post in another thread that Kovacic playing so well is the reason we are losing now..... I mean, that's just about the stupidest logic I've ever seen. How a fan can have such a hatred of a player in his team is beyond me... 

I don’t understand why there is a huge war about Kovacic, Jorgi and Kante. 

IMO all 3 are genuinely world class. Kovacic is absoutely awesome but he’s human he lost the ball a few times dribbling in our own half and once in our box so he’s not perfect. Jorginho sometimes misplaces a pass or gets tackled and Kante sometimes misses a simple 10 yard pass. We are so lucky to have all 3 why can’t we rejoice in that without having to have a favourite and a least favourite and agenda’s. 

3 minutes ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

IMO all 3 are genuinely world class. Kovacic is absoutely awesome but he’s human he lost the ball a few times dribbling in our own half and once in our box so he’s not perfect. Jorginho sometimes misplaces a pass or gets tackled and Kante sometimes misses a simple 10 yard pass. We are so lucky to have all 3 why can’t we rejoice in that without having to have a favourite and a least favourite and agenda’s. 

I think we could play all three if we had better forward players yet we don't. So more likely we will continue to play with just tow of them,

21 minutes ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

It's not a huge war. It's one guy that thinks Jorginho is the best player in our squad by far (he actually wrote that).

I've said from the start of the season that our midfield is not the reason for the goals we concede, it wasn't when Jorgi was playing and it isn't now. Kepa, Zouma, Tomori, Christensen, Alonso, Emerson and Azpi all looked comical at times and it doesn't help that our bright spot James sometimes can't be bothered defending. Frank said we gave them 3 goals yesterday and I completely agree. Something has to change but it's not our midfield that's bothering me, no matter what the exact lineup is.

17 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Your strawman keeps getting bigger. Nobody said he was Modric 2.0. Kovacic played well, gets praises. He gets equally thrashed when he played crap.

How the feck can you complain about how sh*te the best player on the field of the day is?? Shouldn't the argument turned to why the other players underperformed??

Your posts gives me headaches.

Yeah, and I really believe that if we had a top defence we’d be right up there with Liverpool. Our midfield is probably the best in league, and our attack is awesome too.
Defending is an team effort. Pulisic needs to do his work for Christensen. It is not only one v one. If Pulisic runs at opposing keeper to make him shoot the ball in the stands it is good defending by Pulisic.

However there are glaring problems with our defenders in basics. Someone like Van Dijk is just so effortless with his defending against a player. He is prefectly positioned in headers and he can move his opponent with his big frame. He is also excellent with his feet. Someone like Christensen is miles behind him and will be his entire career. That is something we can't fix with better teamplay.

Liverpool basically went from 5-6th in the Prem to best team in Europe by buying Van Dijk and Alisson. There is no debate in that. That is what happened.

2 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/10/mateo-kovacic-reveals-the-heartwarming-message-behind-his--silly

This story about the meaning behind Kova's goal celebration is awesome. What a fella and what a goddamn player 

For those that don't want to read the article here is your TL;DR quote ‘It’s actually for my nieces. I have two nieces, one of which has Down’s Syndrome, and they do that [hand action] with me a lot. I love her a lot and the celebration was for them.'

Had a decent game last night but switched off for the goal, think at times our team is so focussed on getting in position for the counter attack that they tend to forget the defensive responsibilities. For the goal it seemed like Kova was side on expecting us to win the ball back so he could break through midfield, by the time he realized the cut back to Remy it was too late.

Even after they pulled 1 back we were pushing for the third which seemed strange as we got caught out on a couple of occasions especially with the Remy effort late on, game management needs to be better however I think with experience Lampard and the team will improve in this aspect.

3 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

Had a decent game last night but switched off for the goal, think at times our team is so focussed on getting in position for the counter attack that they tend to forget the defensive responsibilities. For the goal it seemed like Kova was side on expecting us to win the ball back so he could break through midfield, by the time he realized the cut back to Remy it was too late.

Even after they pulled 1 back we were pushing for the third which seemed strange as we got caught out on a couple of occasions especially with the Remy effort late on, game management needs to be better however I think with experience Lampard and the team will improve in this aspect.

I see it slightly differently, I think Rudiger was marking him and was the spare man Rudiger lost him - first error.

Second error was Kovacic didn't spot this and react fast enough.

It would be interesting to know the time from when Remy gets into space and the delivery hitting his head, perhaps a second or two.