Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

26 minutes ago, big blue said:

I think it's important to remember Kovacic had no preseason, and is adapting to a new league. Despite that he's played well, and he is big reason why our press was so effective yesterday.

Barkley hasnt looked more of an attacking threat in his starts, Kovacic has better vision and movement, which allows Alonso more freedom aswell. 

RLC did well when he came on other than one incident in our area, but he isn't exactly a massive goal threat either, and he doesn't come close to kovacic tactically of defensively.

Fabregas would be more a threat, but we would be vulnerable down that left side, and he can't press anymore. 

Kovacic adds more to the team than any of the other options in my opinion.

I agree that Kovacic should be given a bit more time to get used to a more attacking role than the one he had at Madrid.

But I think right now against these smaller teams we have better options.

Barkley hasn't lit the world on fire so far, and defensively and technically he's definitely a step down from Kovacic, but attacking wise he's way more direct makes more runs and takes more risks than Kovacic. Also as he's shown at Everton he's got a decent shot on him which can come in handy when the opposition are camped around the box.

Loftus-cheek again offers far less defensively than Kovacic and he doesn't score many goals, but he too is more attack minded and goes on runs and tries to get into goal scoring positions or play the final ball more than Kovacic. He's got lots of potential but is unproven and I understand that Sarri plays the croatian instead of him, I just think his profile fits these kind of matches more than Kovacic's.

Cesc I think would be the best option against this kind of opponent. Great vision, great passing ability, willing to take risks, great link up play. Sure, he is painfully slow and not great defensively, but with two midfielders behind/beside him, his positives clearly outweigh his negatives in games where we have 70% possession or more.

So nothing against Kovacic, he's doing well considering he plays a new role in a new league with no pre season, but I just don't think we need 3 players who have all played the majority of their games as the deepest midfielder in their last few seasons against teams who have 9 players in and around their penalty box.

Edited by True Blue23

It’s still a no brainer to play this guy over Barkley, whether you think Barkley is more direct or not.  Kovacic’s work rate is much better, he links with Hazard outstandingly, and he even look more aggressive looking to shoot yesterday.  Granted, his shots were blocked every time but I think that as he acclimates to the PL, he will pop up with a handful of goals this season.

6 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Did okay yet unspectacular. If RLC had that performance people would use it against him saying he doesn't influence games and won't make it here...

If RLC had that perfomance yesterday I think people would have been praising him, especially his defensive work rate.

I'm surprised there are even a few negative opinions about Kovacic, I think he's done well so far and looks very talented. 

I'm hoping we can unlock some of his potential going forward, see if he can get more goals to his game and assists, if he's playing higher up the pitch. I think one of our prime targets this season should be getting Hazard a contract extension and keeping Kovacic here. 

6 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Did okay yet unspectacular. If RLC had that performance people would use it against him saying he doesn't influence games and won't make it here...

Nonsense lmao, if RLC had that performance he would be getting more praise and you know it. 

I think, as mentioned, we are seeing a player adapting to a league/team and gaining what I call "PL fitness" not just by getting to full fitness but adapting to the physical nature of the British leagues.

He hasn't stuck out really to me which means when he does stick out, itll likely be for good reasons as the bad reasons should already be plain to see.

I think he'll be like Rudiger and transform into a top player for us even if he doesn't come blazing out of the gates.

I think Sarri obviously has his tactics right with starting him and then brining on either Barkley or RLC later in the game as legs tire.

38 minutes ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

the good players go on loan to  Chelsea, Atletiko, Bayern, Juventus.. I can't rate Crystal Palace among them, if you know what I mean. 

Surely good players just don't go on loan and get game time at their club...?

So no, i don't know what you mean.

Didn't know much about him before he joined admittedly, can't actually remember seeing him stand out in the few RM games I've seen in recent years, but he's looked great so far.

Has all the aggressive tenacity we've been needing in the centre of midfield, his close control has been excellent, he's quick to move the ball on forward, and seems in really in sync with Hazard on the left.

Obviously he'll need time to settle in to the team and league before we see the best of him, and we have a very fired up Barkley waiting to rotate in / and push to displace him.

Didn't expect we'd have really good selection problems in central midfield this season, but glad for it.  

How does every thread eventually boil down to either RLC would have been better/should have been given a chance or Luiz/Willian/Cahill/|Morata/Moses/Scapegoat of the week might have cost us the game/a goal/world  peace/cure for cancer/end to famine, even when we win?

4 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

People would have massacred him for not scoring when he got through 1v1. 

I actually agree with you on this. Kovacic miss controlled a few touches against Bournemouth too, if that was Loftus-Cheek, he would have been heavily criticised. Even in the match day thread we had comments about him almost getting caught out in the penalty area. There is way too much focus on every touch from Loftus-Cheek and once he makes one wrong decision or one wrong pass, he get's criticised.

The most important thing is that he is contributing already.

Both him and Kante are getting used to their new roles, Jorginho is the only one that walked in the first 11 with the same football he had before joining.

I think it's not really a surprise that the 2 games he has been involved in we have completely dominated the midfield, even against Arsenal the moment he came into the midfield Arsenal struggled to get out of there half. He seems like a really good foil to Alonso verging forward as he seems to cut off a number of channels for forward passes into the left defensive side, I don't think Barkley and RLC have that element in their locker.

If anything he could probably improve in the final third however I think it'll come with time and experience & as long as he brings that control to midfield and allows Hazard & Co to flourish there is nothing to complain about.

5 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Nothing positive to say about the ones who are actually playing? Given that they just won 4 straight games? :)

I've said Rudiger, Dave, Hazard, Pedro, Jorginho and Kante have all been spectacular. I've even said that Alonso has been great at attacking.

I'm not going to come on and say Willian, Morata and to a lesser extent D.Luiz and Kovacic have been good when i just haven't seen it yet. 

Some people on this page are so childish at times and take personal offence when people don't claim that our players are the next Balon D'or player in every position we have.