We've got a new Kepa

Zeta
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

23 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Thought Kepa was ok today, made by my count three important saves that kept us in the game.

Noticed he tried to punch the ball from one corner and take a catch that normally he would have left to other defenders. I suspect this might be the coaching starting to take effect. If so it is still a work in progress.

Ok?  I am one of, if not the biggest Kepa critic, on here but I though he was bloody brilliant today. 

As you pointed out he was trying to come help the defense deal with balls in the air. That will be a work in progress and mistakes made but at least he is now trying and that will be a big help. He also made a couple of top saves.

Hats off to him today. Superb.

• 3 weeks later...

13 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

Bringing him back to the top.  Another game with a weak GK performance when we needed him.  

I don't think we'd miss him if he left - think there are 10-15 better goalies in Premier League playing weekly.  What does he actually bring?

Sorry but hes done for me.  Not a winner, and too weak.

Lets just sell everyone in January and play the youth shall we? Oh wa

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Lets just sell everyone in January and play the youth shall we? Oh wa

WTF did you even read haha.  You think Kepa inspires an ounce of confidence in this defence?

I'm fine keeping the rest, just think he should be dropped.  I'd rather Willy C play out the season.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Save percentage wise he's 127th out of 132 keepers in Europes top 7 leagues.

Thats shocking. 

Most of the goals we concede are from tap in positions, you gotta blame the whole defense for that. 

Just now, Gol15 said:

Most of the goals we concede are from tap in positions, you gotta blame the whole defense for that. 

He's supposed to catch it before someone can tap it in. He's just a bit useless unfortunately. 

Just now, Sindre said:

Thats shocking. 

That is an awful stat. I have stuck up for Kepa's performances in the past, but that is just terrible. He may not have to make as many save as most keepers, but he should be higher on the list.

He didn't have great wrist strength last season, but it was nowhere near as bad as this season. At least you could count on him pulling off good saves last season.

I think he should of done better with that shot, it was from close range but it was more or less straight at him.

Long term I don't think he's the answer.

He's starting to look like a keeper we paid over the odds for because we was in a situation where we had to buy someone.

11 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Thats shocking. 

I remember bringing up his save to shots earlier this season, at that time I found it interesting but now I think it's gone past that into the worrying department.

44 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Thats shocking. 

That really is shocking, knew had been poor too often this season, but didn't expect so bad.

Considering how much paid for him, it says something that if we tried to sell him it seems doubtful if any of the rest of the top six (or more) would express much interest, even at a price cut.

3 hours ago, turnyitb said:

Should have saved it end of.

but with 70 mill invested we are stuckwith him 

Curious, but what makes you think that?  If performances are that bad, then we have to consider our options, regardless of his price:

1. Bench him, play Willy C
  2. Keep playing him but change in summer.  Buy another keeper with presence, move Kepa on.  His age and market value outside of EPL must still be 30M+

Time to cut our losses.  The 70M is small change compared to continually missing out on the Champions League, as shown with recent revenue stats.