We've got a new Kepa

Zeta
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 hours ago, abramovich said:

Imagine having the most expensive goalie have the worst save percentage. I think lets cut our losses and get somebody else.

Kepa had 2 seasons and he's being found out without an ounce of improvement. Even the great Alex Ferguson went through tons of GK until he got Van der Sar. Lets cut our losses early

Aren't we a bit quick to throw him out with the bath water?

In his debut season he kept sixteen clean sheets, Only Ederson and Alisson had more. It feels like Frank hasn't played the same back four in two consequtive games which doesn't help.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/clean_sheet?se=210

I can't find any decent info about save percentage in 2018/19 does anyone have it?

19 minutes ago, Luca Vialli said:

In his debut season he kept sixteen clean sheets, Only Ederson and Alisson had more. It feels like Frank hasn't played the same back four in two consequtive games which doesn't help.

I can't find any decent info about save percentage in 2018/19 does anyone have it?

I think that he needs to show some progress before the season ends.

7 hours ago, Luca Vialli said:

You could have JT, Beckenbaur, Bobby Moore, Maldini or VVD, in front of him, but when you can't save shots or come for crosses it's a list cause

It's fine lines .... 2018/19 he saved 4 out of every 6 shots, this year it's 3 ... that could easily be our opponents simply having more clear cut shooting opportunities, or a little less protection from the defence

But there is definitely a gap between him and the best performing keepers in the PL, last season as well as (more obviously) this season.

Interestingly, Courtois was only middle of the pack as well

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

It's fine lines .... 2018/19 he saved 4 out of every 6 shots, this year it's 3 ... that could easily be our opponents simply having more clear cut shooting opportunities, or a little less protection from the defence

But there is definitely a gap between him and the best performing keepers in the PL, last season as well as (more obviously) this season.

This is another indication that it's not all about Kepa. He's a part of the problem but he's really not the only problem, our defense is just bad and it has been bad in recent years. 

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Yes but teams work out how to beat teams like Chelsea by watching previous games. 

How do you beat Chelsea? Swing a ball into the box and jump higher than the defenders. The keeper will be rooted to the spot because he's too frightened to come out and challenge. 

They've created more clear cut opportunities because they've identified Kepa's glaring weakness. You only need to jump higher than the defender once and you have essentially an open goal from 5 yards out. That doesn't happen to other teams. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

Yes but teams work out how to beat teams like Chelsea by watching previous games. 

How do you beat Chelsea? Swing a ball into the box and jump higher than the defenders. The keeper will be rooted to the spot because he's too frightened to come out and challenge. 

They've created more clear cut opportunities because they've identified Kepa's glaring weakness. You only need to jump higher than the defender once and you have essentially an open goal from 5 yards out. That doesn't happen to other teams. 

Yes. Courtois had his issues towards the end although some of that seemed to be related to him eyeing an exit. One thing he had in his favour though, was how commanding he was in the penalty area with his height. Unfortunately I cannot see Kepa coming close in that department. It is not just his height but he doesn't command any authority when coming for crosses.

We hardly learn when it comes to young players and yes for A GK he's very young.

We are so easy to dumb players once the media gets in his back and the twitter managers.

Kepa has had some issues but when your defenders are hardly defending it breaths zero confidence in you and our three or One points is slowly dependent on you..that can't help your mentality because you can't make any mistakes.

If Kepa had the Liverpool defence or Leicester defence infront of him you would see completely different stats

16 hours ago, Luca Vialli said:

I kind of agree, even though I've been guilty of thinking we should sell him after his poor performances this season. However I think at the least we should bring in another young goalkeeper that can compete with him. We shouldn't make it seem like he's guaranteed to start every game. A bit of healthy competition might bring the best out of him. I think Frank dropping him for Willy was a good start.

Edited by Frankie8Lampard

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

We hardly learn when it comes to young players and yes for A GK he's very young.

You do know he is 25 right? How is that very young. He's the same school year as Ederson at City, he's two years younger than Allison. 

I genuinely can't think of a goalkeeper in history who became significantly better after the age of 25. Cech, Courtois, Buffon, Neuer, De Gea, all of them were stars at 25. None of them drastically improved. Cech was 24 when he got his head injury, he had played with us for 2 full seasons and was regarded as the best in the world.

Just because goalkeepers can play into their 30s doesn't mean they peak any later than other footballers. 

Edited by bisright1

55 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Cech was 24 when he got his head injury, he had played with us for 2 full seasons and was regarded as the best in the world.

It's quite interesting, but in that link to the GK stats I posted above, Cech was still #2 in the PL on shots saved % in the first two seasons he was at Arsenal (2015/16 and 2016/17) in his mid 30s ! They really didn't deserve him ... 🙂

Edited by Sexyfootball

Kepa was dropped for one game, but in terms of time, it will well over a week for him to reflect on being dropped.  I wonder if Frank planned to have him have this extra time to think as a test.....We will see how he reacts......that will tell us what we need to know in terms of his mental makeup.

I've seen a lot of goalies in between the sticks since I first laid eyes upon the feline Peter Bonetti. A lot in all fairness have been worse than Kepa, but the ones in goal for the periods of sucess have been head & shoulders above him

get rid, cant blame the manager or tactics or piss poor defending, we all know in our gut hes not good enough for a club of our standing & ambitions. But at least hes not on the Charlie !

I've seen a lot of goalies in between the sticks since I first laid eyes upon the feline Peter Bonetti. A lot in all fairness have been worse than Kepa, but the ones in goal for the periods of sucess have been head & shoulders above him

get rid, cant blame the manager or tactics or piss poor defending, we all know in our gut hes not good enough for a club of our standing & ambitions. But at least hes not on the Charlie !
I'm willing to accept he is better than Roger Freestone.

1 hour ago, loz said:
1 hour ago, General said:

I'm willing to accept he is better than Roger Freestone.

Yes, but we weren't a huge club back then spending £70 mill on a keeper who simply isn't good enough and seems to have a Billy big bollox attitude, when his performances seem to suggest more of the Sammy small bollox. 

19 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes, but we weren't a huge club back then spending £70 mill on a keeper who simply isn't good enough and seems to have a Billy big bollox attitude, when his performances seem to suggest more of the Sammy small bollox. 

I believe the proper phrase is Tiny Testicled Tim. 

On 06/02/2020 at 05:06, Sexyfootball said:

It's quite interesting, but in that link to the GK stats I posted above, Cech was still #2 in the PL on shots saved % in the first two seasons he was at Arsenal (2015/16 and 2016/17) in his mid 30s ! They really didn't deserve him ... 🙂

I hear he is keeping ice hockey now, maybe he'd like to make a comeback...

Kinsella (who I like as a journo) linking us to Onana from Ajax this morning saying we are actively looking for a new keeper

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/onana-chelsea-move-blues-replacing-kepa/1fa51bl9hgjb11m8nzx7myasen

Always funny that we seem to be linked with players who have done well against us, as if we don't look elsewhere.

Just on Onana his save percentage and expected goals against are pretty good. Especially how open Ajax play. Note his position compared to Kepa. In terms of save percentage Kepa isn't even on the page (32 keepers overall)

Screenshot_20200207-072023_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200207-071926_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Spiller86