Sign in to follow this  
Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

His first mistake? :D that's one pretty selective way to observe the games.

Number 1 - should have saved

Number 2 - could have saved, not so much to blame tho, but some world class goalies would have saved that. He apparently ain't one. 

Number 3 - could have saved - again, in his corner, a world class keeper wouldn't concede a goal.

Number 4 - should have saved - in his goal area, he should have cleared the ball or caught it.

Number 5 - should have saved 

Number 6 - no reaction...

Number 7 - saveable. If you are going to justify this mistake with the quality of the shot - why is he caught in the no man's land then? He had plenty of time to go out and make himself big, shorten the angle.. and again through his hands..

Number 8 and Number 9 - the two goals against Spuds - through his hands again and again no reaction, this time caught from way outside the penalty area..

Number 10 - yesterday.

So, in conclusion - we've conceded 13 goals and he could have done better in 10 out of these 13 cases. How is that? 

At the same time you can;t see any good saves or intereceptions with 2 or 3 exceptions from 35 yards shots or when the ref had already blown the whistle. 

It's not easy to play football when you know that the first shot the opponents commit will be an equalizer. 

7 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Been absolutely class and is a massive upgrade on Courtois. 

Is this Giordano bloke the one that has something against Azpi too? 

I think we'd all had enough of Courtois who never turned out to be as good as we'd hoped (or he thought he was).

But so far, although Kepa seems a really decent guy and he's made some good saves and distributes the ball a LOT better, I have to be honest and say I don't see a £70M keeper - not yet anyway. Just like your striker, a keeper can win you games and he really can't afford too many repeats of that howler last night.

2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I think we'd all had enough of Courtois who never turned out to be as good as we'd hoped (or he thought he was).

But so far, although Kepa seems a really decent guy and he's made some good saves and distributes the ball a LOT better, I have to be honest and say I don't see a £70M keeper - not yet anyway. Just like your striker, a keeper can win you games and he really can't afford too many repeats of that howler last night.

All the good saves get forgotten about with one mistake though don't they. If Hazard was in that position we'd expect him to score. My dad always used to say the shots close to your body are often harder to save as you have to get down quicker and tighter. 

The shot going through his leg was the only really bad moment I've seen from him so far. 

Even after watching those highlights provided above, I still think Kepa has been good so far. Not £70m good but you would be hard pressed to find a player that shows such value for money in a short period of time.

31 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

All the good saves get forgotten about with one mistake though don't they. 

Nope, they don't. the thing is, there are no good saves. He's got a couple against Soton(35-40 yards shots actually, would be a mistake to concede but ok, for his low standards let's count it as a good save), one against Mane and one when the whistle was blown for offside. Pretty much that's it for like 15 games. And those saves were like the goals he loves so much to concede - in his body, nothing special. 

Here some more statistics:

Saves - 14th in the League

Punches - 18th in the League

High claims - 10th in the League

Sweeper clearances - 11th in the League

throw outs - 12th in the League

And because I know you will undervalue that stats, you can make a comparison here(https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison) between him and Alison and Ederson(the same duties demanded from the three goalkeepers). He has slight advantage in the passe, which is impressive and I have to give him credit, but he loses in every other category. Go check it yourself. 

Apart from passing, he is bad. Really, really bad. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

24 minutes ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Nope, they don't. the thing is, there are no good saves. He's got a couple against Soton(35-40 yards shots actually, would be a mistake to concede but ok, for his low standards let's count it as a good save), one against Mane and one when the whistle was blown for offside. Pretty much that's it for like 15 games. And those saves were like the goals he loves so much to concede - in his body, nothing special. 

And because I know you will undervalue that stats, you can make a comparison here(https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison) between him and Alison and Ederson(the same duties demanded from the three goalkeepers). He has slight advantage in the passe, which is impressive and I have to give him credit, but he loses in every other category. Go check it yourself. 

Kepa v Ederson shall we?

Saves - Kepa 33 Ederson 25

Saves per match - Kepa 2.2 Ederson 1.67

Punches - Kepa 2 Ederson 2

High Claims - Kepa 6 Ederson 10

Sweeper clearances - Kepa 4 Ederson 8

Fouls - Kepa 0 Ederson 2

Save success - Kepa 72% Ederson 78%

I don't know how you managed to use these stats as some kind of justification that Kepa is sh*t and Ederson is amazing? There's hardly anything that separates the two. 

Obviously he's not going to be 1st in the league for saves made etc. as Chelsea don't face half as many shots as the lower teams do. Like this is really basic stuff to understand, how have you not got this yet? If you need help understanding anything else, drop me a message. I just want to help you. x

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

All the good saves get forgotten about with one mistake though don't they. If Hazard was in that position we'd expect him to score. My dad always used to say the shots close to your body are often harder to save as you have to get down quicker and tighter. 

I was directly behind the shot last night, by the corner flag and it was disappointing to see it go through him, I played in goal to county level for years and yes your dad is right close to your body always difficult and blocking with feet or legs always more practical. I really want kepa to make it and needs at least a season like De gea had, just at present though gives me the impression of a pitch player being stuck in goal at training!!! Time will tell, but let's be honest how many time did courtois win us a game? I can only remember league cup semi v Liverpool and that last minute save up at Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, chi blue said:

I was directly behind the shot last night, by the corner flag and it was disappointing to see it go through him, I played in goal to county level for years and yes your dad is right close to your body always difficult and blocking with feet or legs always more practical. I really want kepa to make it and needs at least a season like De gea had, just at present though gives me the impression of a pitch player being stuck in goal at training!!! Time will tell, but let's be honest how many time did courtois win us a game? I can only remember league cup semi v Liverpool and that last minute save up at Sunderland.

I was in the away end last night so didn't even realise it was a keeper error until i came on here when i got back and people were talking about it. I'm happy with Kepa, still only conceded the third least goals in the league with David Luiz and Alonso in front of him, must be doing something right!

1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I was in the away end last night so didn't even realise it was a keeper error until i came on here when i got back and people were talking about it. I'm happy with Kepa, still only conceded the third least goals in the league with David Luiz and Alonso in front of him, must be doing something right!

Very true, having those two in front of you is not ideal. Yes I'm happy with him, next season will be the telling one for his career here

1 hour ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Ah... the old myth about keeper stats being somehow relevant to the keeper's performance rather than the playing style of the team. Goalkeepers who play for teams that press high and dominate possession are naturally going to have to perform fewer 'defensive actions', and will concede fewer, higher-quality shots than a keeper playing for a side which spends two-thirds of the game camped out in the defensive third of the pitch and getting bombarded by frustrated long shots. 

I have some recollection of making the exact same argument a couple of years ago when Courtois was performing poorly in the stat rankings, and suggesting that if we were judging purely on those statistics, then we should be making a £30m bid for Eldin Jakupovic. 

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

No goalkeeper in the world would have saved that Sturridge shot - it was almost on a Papiss Cissé level. 

What, hit and hope with your eyes closed from an infeasible distance?

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Kepa v Ederson shall we?

Saves - Kepa 33 Ederson 25

Saves per match - Kepa 2.2 Ederson 1.67

Punches - Kepa 2 Ederson 2

High Claims - Kepa 6 Ederson 10

Sweeper clearances - Kepa 4 Ederson 8

Fouls - Kepa 0 Ederson 2

Save success - Kepa 72% Ederson 78%

I don't know how you managed to use these stats as some kind of justification that Kepa is sh*t and Ederson is amazing? There's hardly anything that separates the two. 

Obviously he's not going to be 1st in the league for saves made etc. as Chelsea don't face half as many shots as the lower teams do. Like this is really basic stuff to understand, how have you not got this yet? If you need help understanding anything else, drop me a message. I just want to help you. x

Its almost as if those stats prove that teams that have the ball in possession the most dont let as many shots at their keeper isnt it....

10 hours ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Number 3 - could have saved - again, in his corner, a world class keeper wouldn't concede a goal.

Absolute nonsense, shots from that speed or closeness are very rarely saved and when they are they are save of the season contenders!