We've got a new Kepa

Zeta

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Open mutiny in a final.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for Sarri again.
Felt sorry for Sarri on this occasion, he must have felt all kinds of helpless.

Azpi should have dragged him off the field. That's what JT, Cole, Lamps or Drogba would have done.

Think Azpi knows who's side to take, and it's not Sarri's. Expect the sack now at any time. But you are correct a real captain would have hauled Kepa's ass off the pitch.

I don't understand how Sarri can't just come forward, ask the player is he's ok and if he can continue just 2 more minutes? Because Kepa was fine.

Sarri already made a decision and then saw that Kepa was fine and instead of saying sorry or simply forcing the change by saying to the linesmen that it's happening, he goes around and ruins the whole mood of the squad.

The most embarrassing on-field moment by our keeper in all my years of watching Chelsea.

I don't care if he couldn't stop the Aguero penalty, but whatever transpired before that was shambolic of the highest order.

Should be binned for 10 matches. 

The blame is not solely with Kepa, lot of people jumping to conclusions here that are a bit extreme.  I think a quite plausible scenario is that Kepa just thought he was coming out due to injury.  Perhaps Sarri was replacing him for other reasons, we may never know.  But the bottom line is, it was poor communication by all, from Sarri to Kepa, to the assistant coaches and the referee.  All hold some of the blame in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

The blame is not solely with Kepa, lot of people jumping to conclusions here that are a bit extreme.  I think a quite plausible scenario is that Kepa just thought he was coming out due to injury.  Perhaps Sarri was replacing him for other reasons, we may never know.  But the bottom line is, it was poor communication by all, from Sarri to Kepa, to the assistant coaches and the referee.  All hold some of the blame in my opinion.

Whatever Kepa thought about his injuries or whatever else is irrelevant. If the manager makes the call of substitution, at whatever point of the game, for whatever reason, whether you like it or not, you follow his lead. Simple.

That's elementary school football.

3 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Huh? He went down twice holding his hammy. It was obvious he was going to be taken off because he was showing signs of an injury. Sarri was likely concerned about him pulling his hammy or cramping up during the shootouts I imagine. I do think a bigger deal may be being made of this than necessary. The board didn't go up and it was heat of the moment, so a lot of emotions; Sarri is angry and Kepa wanting to stay on to play which is natural for a player. Still not a good look though after a great performance. 

5 minutes ago, Sindre said:

His number was up. The fourth official was holding up the sign with Willy standing beside him.

I think Sarri really, really needed to win this trophy. 

They never showed it go up on TV. It's not up to him whether he comes off or not. Or else we'd never have a player leave the field. If the 4th official showed it, he showed it for a micro second and then put the board down. 

He should stand there with the board up until the ref yellow cards and then red cards the player that refuses to come off for time wasting. 

The whole thing seems so odd to me. I want to applaud a player who fights to stay on the pitch, even if he's injured. I want him to be pissed off for having to come out. 

And I want my manager to yank his ass, put an arm around him and say "I know you're pissed, but this is for your own good" 

Instead it ends up looking like and argument. And there's no debate here. That number goes up, it stays up until one way or another that player comes off. 

1 minute ago, enigma said:

Huh? He went down twice holding his hammy. It was obvious he was going to be taken off because he was showing signs of an injury. Sarri was likely concerned about him pulling his hammy or cramping up during the shootouts I imagine. I do think a bigger deal may be being made of this than necessary. The board didn't go up and it was heat of the moment, so a lot of emotions; Sarri is angry and Kepa wanting to stay on to play which is natural for a player. Still not a good look though after a great performance. 

I don't think Sarri would have walked towards Wembley's exit if that was the case.
That was after Kepa had made it clear he was fine.

Willy is probably the best penalty-saver in the world. That's the reason he was coming on.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Whatever Kepa thought about his injuries or whatever else is irrelevant. If the manager makes the call of substitution, at whatever point of the game, for whatever reason, whether you like it or not, you follow his lead. Simple.

That's elementary school football.

Goalkeeper sub in a cup final at min 118 or so...player showing he's ok, bench making a sub, bench looking at the player, player again saying he's fine, manager cancels the sub, gets angry. If Sarri really wanted that sub he could have done it and forced Kepa to go out. But he didn't. None of this would happen in only Sarri comes to the touchline, asks Kepa if he's fine or not before making any decision.

2 minutes ago, big blue said:

It was a moment of passion and immaturity. He needs a dressing down, and he needs to apologise to his team mates, after that we need to move on from it. No point benching him. Hes on a 7 year contract and he cost £70m. Let's just work with him, so it doesn't happen again, rather than going over the top. 

You see here is the kind of moment where a kid has acted bang out of order. So the parents need to make a decision - spank him or let him apologize (both decisions have pros and cons). The problem is that the 'softer' route will work depending on the personality of the kid. The spanking should be effective regardless and at the very least re-establish the power dynamic. For me, it's a spanking all day!!!

12 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

You sir, are talking poo poo

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I don't think Sarri would have walked towards Wembley's exit if that was the case.
That was after Kepa had made it clear he was fine.

Willy is probably the best penalty-saver in the world. That's the reason he was coming on.

IF that's the reason why he wanted the sub, he should have put his foot down and told the linesmen to announce the sub. Period. Is he the boss or not? Wtf is he getting all angry like a little boy, he was in control of that sub regardless if Kepa wants to play or not.

1 minute ago, venom2011 said:

You see here is the kind of moment where a kid has acted bang out of order. So the parents need to make a decision - spank him or let him apologize (both decisions have pros and cons). The problem is that the 'softer' route will work depending on the personality of the kid. The spanking should be effective regardless and at the very least re-establish the power dynamic. For me, it's a spanking all day!!!

I agree he should be getting a spanking, but dropping him indefinitely would be counter productive.

Just now, Gol15 said:

IF that's the reason why he wanted the sub, he should have put his foot down and told the linesmen to announce the sub. Period. Is he the boss or not? Wtf is he getting all angry like a little boy, he was in control of that sub regardless if Kepa wants to play or not.

I agree with that. I've watched it now and the sign never goes up.
But i am sure the fourth official was told to do so and then Kepa started making a fuss so the fourth official got uncertain and waited but Sarri should have gone and told him to get that board up.

Just now, Sindre said:

I agree with that. I've watched it now and the sign never goes up.
But i am sure the fourth official was told to do so and then Kepa started making a fuss so the fourth official got uncertain and waited but Sarri should have gone and told him to get that board up.

That's how I feel about it too. This is a young player that can be stubborn or not liking to be subbed off but you're the boss and it's your decision if that is a sub or not, period. IDK why did he go soft if he wanted Caballero to save penalties, Kepa did his role and if he's unhappy with Sarri afterwards that's his problem and his own ego.

It's like I said in the match thread, there seemed to be a total breakdown in communication. Kepa said he was fine, Sarri thought he was injured. If Sarri really wanted him off, then he should have stuck to his guns and told that linesman to put the board up and leave it up until Kepa get's off the pitch. The rest of the players should have forced Kepa off too, it only seemed like Luiz was doing the talking between bench and player. Sarri having a meltdown on the bench didn't look good at all.

Kepa was mainly in the wrong, but at the same time, I can't be too angry at somebody that wanted to stay on and help the team win. I think blame should be shared all over. Kepa should have left the pitch, Sarri shouldn't have lost his mind and stuck to his guns and the players and bench should have done much better in communicating with each other.

I'm not going to start calling one of our players a twat, c**t and asking for him to be sold by the club like some of you on here, that is totally over the top.

1 minute ago, jack h said:

How anyone can blame Sarri for this is unbelievable. It was perfectly clear what his intentions were and how he felt about it.  Kepa should've come off and Azpilicueta should've pushed him off.

Because a young player like Kepa can be unhappy if he's getting subbed. But it's not supposed to be his decision, Sarri gave him that power right there for no real reason.