Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

I got some clarification. If a player refuses to come out, play is to continue. 

WOW

I get it now. He CAN refuse. Well, he better hope Sarri is gone this week. Might be a while before he's back in the team. 

30 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

On the plus side CHO can see this and go to Sarri and say "screw you I am way better than Pedro and I am starting no matter who you put on the team sheet" right?

I don't personally think he played that well today. Then again, the RW isn't his natural position. 

I do have an issue with Azpilicueta saying he didn't see the situation because he was on the other side of the pitch though. He's the captain, he should make it his duty to see to the situation. Maybe he didn't want to speak on the issue, but his comments just made it seem like he is shirking the issue despite being the man you would hope the players listen to. 

If Sarri stays in the job, then I fully expect him to drop Kepa indefinitely and I would back him 100%.

Having done what he did, Kepa had to go on and win us that penalty shoot-out to save face but he didn't. Can't help but think Willy WOULD have won us that shoot out and I don't think I would want to be Kepa in that dressing room now. He was an arsehole of Courtois proportions today.

Whn you think about it’ this accident probably bought Sarri more time.

There’s no guardian we would’ve won with Willy won but with how reactionary our board is, this could be good for the coach.

Whn you think about it, this accident probably bought Sarri more time.

There’s no guarantee we would’ve won with Willy on but with how reactionary our board is, this could be good for the coach.

The Kepa incident defines the club at this current moment. No leader OFF the pitch and No leaders ON the pitch.  No matter what his excuse is when the manager decides to make a substitution, the player even if he disagrees has to come off. What Kepa showed was disrespect for his boss. At this point we will now see how strong Sarri is and how much the board back him as to what punishment is admonished. There is though a second question, were was the captain whilst this was unfolding? Or even other leaders on the pitch...Luiz was weak and the rest as we know spineless.

28 minutes ago, enigma said:

I do have an issue with Azpilicueta saying he didn't see the situation because he was on the other side of the pitch though. He's the captain, he should make it his duty to see to the situation. Maybe he didn't want to speak on the issue, but his comments just made it seem like he is shirking the issue despite being the man you would hope the players listen to. 

Great servant and player, poor captain.

I'm amazed that some normally reasonable people are trying to make out this is not a big deal. If managers' don't have complete authority over the team on the pitch, which is what happened today, then what is the point in having them. 

I'm not calling for Kepa's head but he has to be reprimanded severely enough to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think there was a bit of confusion to be fair which didn't help things.

Kepa maybe thought he was coming off due to injury and was trying to say he was ok to continue. But Sarri wanted to change keeper for the penalties but Kepa didn't know that...  

Obviously it's still not good that Kepa didn't leave the pitch but if he was aware that Sarri wanted to change keeper due to the penalties and not due to the injury I think he would of come straight off.

People say Sarri is brutally honest. 

I disagree. I see plenty of coachspeak with him. He could have town Kepa a new one jn his presser, but he protected a young player. Typically that earns you respect from your players. 

We'll see  

3 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I'm amazed that some normally reasonable people are trying to make out this is not a big deal. If managers' don't have complete authority over the team on the pitch, which is what happened today, then what is the point in having them. 

I'm not calling for Kepa's head but he has to be reprimanded severely enough to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Totally agree, imagine if you went into work tomorrow and your boss asked you to do something and you as good as told him to f*ck off. He asked again and got the same reaction and so very sternly asked again and got the same reaction. Every manager no matter what the trade has to have some authority or he ceases to be a manager.

48 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

WOW

I get it now. He CAN refuse. Well, he better hope Sarri is gone this week. Might be a while before he's back in the team. 

Really so as soon as the player refuses the game needs to keep going? 

53 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

WOW

So if Sarri decides to drop him for Willy can he just tell him where to go again and insert himself in to the team.

6 minutes ago, charierre said:

Totally agree, imagine if you went into work tomorrow and your boss asked you to do something and you as good as told him to f*ck off. He asked again and got the same reaction and so very sternly asked again and got the same reaction. Every manager no matter what the trade has to have some authority or he ceases to be a manager.

It's a daft comparison to make considering that being a footballer has never been, and never will be, like a normal job. The same rules don't apply

1 minute ago, BlueDay said:

It's a daft comparison to make considering that being a footballer has never been, and never will be, like a normal job. The same rules don't apply

Not really, the boss in any profession makes the decisions. You may discuss, disagree, strongly disagree but at the end of the day. He has the final say. Footballers are no different, in fact to a larger say are governed by their relationship with the manager. A normal worker can choose to leave whereas a footballer is under contract to stay.