Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

10 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I'm amazed that some normally reasonable people are trying to make out this is not a big deal. If managers' don't have complete authority over the team on the pitch, which is what happened today, then what is the point in having them. 

I'm not calling for Kepa's head but he has to be reprimanded severely enough to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I definitely think he deserves punishment in some way. Maybe dropped for a game or two or fined and I definitely think he should publicly apologise. But I don't think he's a c**t, a twat and I don't think he should be sacked. He's made a mistake for sure, but when it comes to his punishment, I don't think it should the most extreme one.

The club needs to sort this problem out though, the players have too much power at the club. They should have reacted last season when Willian was disrespecting Conte during interviews and after the F.A cup final. He received zero punishment for that and I don't think he would be allowed to get away with that if he was playing for any other club.

Arizzabalaga ! Arizzabalaga !

Bakes bread in his Aga

Gets occasional cramp

He's such a cheeky scamp

Not listening to Sarri

Last seen on safari

Arizzabalaga ! Arizzabalaga !

Still pissed off with him, complete disrespect for his manager and teammates, that big kerfuffle really did put a dampener on what was generally a very good performance, for me he needs to have a long hard look at himself and apologise.

11 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I actually can’t believe people are defending Kepa, probably the same people who cry about player power within our club & how it’s not right.

His behaviour was inexcusable and was thoroughly unprofessional

I don't think anybody is defending Kepa, nobody has said he was right to do what he did, but I don't think it was him deliberately disrespecting the manager. I do genuinely believe the whole thing was a big misunderstanding though. Sarri thought he was injured, but Kepa was saying he was fine. I think Sarri reacted the way he did on the bench because he thought Kepa was refusing to be subbed even though he was injured. If Sarri understood straight away that Kepa wasn't actually injured, then I don't think there would have been an issue. The issue here appears to be a communication breakdown, that is what I am getting from the interviews that are coming out now. 

I do agree that Kepa should have just walked off though. To keep arguing with the manager like that isn't right.

29 minutes ago, charierre said:

Not really, the boss in any profession makes the decisions. You may discuss, disagree, strongly disagree but at the end of the day. He has the final say. Footballers are no different, in fact to a larger say are governed by their relationship with the manager. A normal worker can choose to leave whereas a footballer is under contract to stay.

On the flip side, that takes a lot of power away from a manager. In the real world, I'm going to get fired for gross insubordination. 

But in this case, the player has 6 more years of guaranteed income 

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think anybody is defending Kepa, nobody has said he was right to do what he did, but I don't think it was him deliberately disrespecting the manager.

Subconsciously he was disrespecting Sarri, we have seen players throwing hissy fits over being subbed before, whether injured or tactical, Costa and his bib throw was the last one i remember. But you never see a player just refuse, imagine that happening to Fergy or Jose, Kepa wouldn't of done it to them through fear. 

Just now, coco said:

Costa and his big was the last one i remember

Willian FA Cup was the last one I remember. And like I've said, i don't mind heat of the moment passion. 

It was Willian's reaction after that was even worse. 

1 minute ago, Skinnedy said:

Willian FA Cup was the last one I remember. And like I've said, i don't mind heat of the moment passion. 

It was Willian's reaction after that was even worse. 

He respected the decision on the pitch and foolishly had his tantrum afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think anybody is defending Kepa, nobody has said he was right to do what he did, but I don't think it was him deliberately disrespecting the manager. I do genuinely believe the whole thing was a big misunderstanding though. Sarri thought he was injured, but Kepa was saying he was fine. I think Sarri reacted the way he did on the bench because he thought Kepa was refusing to be subbed even though he was injured. If Sarri understood straight away that Kepa wasn't actually injured, then I don't think there would have been an issue. The issue here appears to be a communication breakdown, that is what I am getting from the interviews that are coming out now. 

I do agree that Kepa should have just walked off though. To keep arguing with the manager like that isn't right.

All totally irrelevant. His number was up, the manager had taken the decision to sub him. Whether it be due to fitness concerns or tactical. He should be getting off the park. If you’ve got a problem with it, bring it up with him after the game. Don’t stand shaking your finger screaming ‘no’ when the whole coaching staff is telling you to get off the park.

It’s totally out of order whether he was OK or not. It’s even worse that after all that he ended up chucking Agueros in. If Willy had came on, I reckon we could have won that shootout.

It has undermining and embarrassed Sarri. You could even see Zola saying “get off”. He should be fined  and disciplined. Also it would never happen under Jose or Fergie. Shows Sarri up a little as well  

But I would rather a player want to stay on for passion than give up. 

More annoyed at Willian’s reaction..

It does seem that it was a misunderstanding in that I thought Kepa was pretending to have cramp to wind the clock down. Sarri thought he injured and wanted to sub him. Hopefully Kepa told the doctors he wasn’t really injured. 

Of course he still should have come off and he bought his nasty incident right before the penalty shootout. 

He really needed to win the game for us to redeem himself. 

Just now, EdinburghBlue said:

All totally irrelevant. His number was up, the manager had taken the decision to sub him. Whether it be due to fitness concerns or tactical. He should be getting off the park. If you’ve got a problem with it, bring it up with him after the game. Don’t stand shaking your finger screaming ‘no’ when the whole coaching staff is telling you to get off the park.

It’s totally out of order whether he was OK or not. It’s even worse that after all that he ended up chucking Agueros in. If Willy had came on, I reckon we could have won that shootout.

The manager only wanted to sub him because he thought he was injured. Kepa was trying to get that point across to the manager, but in Sarri's head, he seen it as Kepa saying "no, I don't care if I'm injured, I'm not coming off", that is why Sarri went mad on the bench. If Sarri knew straight away that Kepa wasn't actually injured, then there wouldn't have been a problem. It's a communication breakdown, that is all. All it needed was one of our players to run over to Kepa, talk to him and then that player runs over to Sarri to fill him in. We didn't get that though, we just had keeper and coach shouting at each other from a distance. It's a fault of the team collectively, it wasn't just a simple case of a player ignoring the instructions of the manager. 

Sarri's and Kepa's comments after the match pretty much backs all of this up. 

26 minutes ago, coco said:

He respected the decision on the pitch and foolishly had his tantrum afterwards.

If by afterwards, you mean as soon as he stepped off the pitch. He had his tantrum going down the tunnel. 

I still consider that part of the substitution. 

1 minute ago, JM7 said:

When Sarri went to go down the tunnel, where do you think he was planning on going?

For a smoke. 

But what I read in my mind was 

"F&#$ this. WTF do I even nerd to be here for. F#@$&ing Sack me and pay me €10M"

26 minutes ago, JM7 said:

When Sarri went to go down the tunnel, where do you think he was planning on going?

I thought he was a gonner 

Edited by rtwelch