Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

Whatever Kepa thought about his injuries or whatever else is irrelevant. If the manager makes the call of substitution, at whatever point of the game, for whatever reason, whether you like it or not, you follow his lead. Simple.

That's elementary school football.
I think Kepa probably forgot result of games like this usually decide the fate of managers. Am with Sarri in this, Sarri is the manager. Not Kepa!

I don't think Sarri would have walked towards Wembley's exit if that was the case.
That was after Kepa had made it clear he was fine.
Willy is probably the best penalty-saver in the world. That's the reason he was coming on.
Even most of the players on the bench were excited about Caballero coming on. That says a lot.

If Sarri stays in the job, then I fully expect him to drop Kepa indefinitely and I would back him 100%.
Having done what he did, Kepa had to go on and win us that penalty shoot-out to save face but he didn't. Can't help but think Willy WOULD have won us that shoot out and I don't think I would want to be Kepa in that dressing room now. He was an arsehole of Courtois proportions today.

I am a really big fan of Kepa, but that has changed today. I hope Caballero starts against Tottenham.

I feel for Sarri on this one, he was put in a difficult situation by his goalkeeper, overall I think he handled it pretty well. Kepa’s an embrassement. 

In my opinion, the situation is made even worse because of who was suppose to come in for him, a former goalkeeper of the opposing team who is known as one of the better penalty blocking keepers. Frankly, even if had Kepa not been cramping or whatever and Sarri decided to bring on Willy for pens, I wouldn’t bat an eye at that decision given Willy’s resume. 

I think there was a bit of confusion to be fair which didn't help things.
 Kepa maybe thought he was coming off due to injury and was trying to say he was ok to continue. But Sarri wanted to change keeper for the penalties but Kepa didn't know that...  
Obviously it's still not good that Kepa didn't leave the pitch but if he was aware that Sarri wanted to change keeper due to the penalties and not due to the injury I think he would of come straight off.
I thought Luiz was trying to explain to Kepa that it was a tactical substitution.

3 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

I got some clarification. If a player refuses to come out, play is to continue. 

WOW

I get it now. He CAN refuse. Well, he better hope Sarri is gone this week. Might be a while before he's back in the team. 

2 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

I posed the question to Twitter and got this response. 

As I said earlier, it was Moss who spoke to Sarri before he really blew up and I think it was communicating this that did it.

A few thoughts:

1) Kepa needs to be reprimanded in some fashion, but he also remains our future between the posts so those two things need balanced.  It is great to see such confidence in a young keeper, especially against a side that put 6 past him weeks ago, but he also needs to be grounded in the reality of his opinion is exactly that while the manager's opinion is the law when it comes to these decisions.

2) some people felt Sarri should have done more to force his authority,  but if anything I think he did too much (but I don't fault him because this was so unprecedented) because end of the day he still had a chance at winning a cup and ensuring our team was in the best position/mentality to do this was more important in the moment than forcing his authority....making an even bigger spectacle on the pitch/pitch side would have only made things worse.

3)  I think we now got a literal & visual example of what Sarri meant when he said this group is hard to motivate.  If I was on the pitch I'd have gone up to Kepa and either dragged him off by the scruff of his neck or fireman carry his arse off.... that nothing happened but Luiz having a few words goes to show the challenge Sarri has in having this team execute what he wants over what they want.  I'm hoping the board sees it this way too.  The players may think they know better and maybe they actually do, but it is not their place to do as they feel but as they are directed by the manager.  If Kepa felt he could do this on the pitch it speaks to me miles about the message in the dressing room, particularly from the senior players/leaders..

I'd say imagine this happening with our old spine, but if JT/Lamps/DD were in that squad then don't even think Kepa would have imagined doing it himself.... Sarri almost needs to bring in a player he can also trust to be a dressing room enforcer lol

Edited by Barry Bridges

29 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

As I said earlier, it was Moss who spoke to Sarri before he really blew up and I think it was communicating this that did it.

A few thoughts:

1) Kepa needs to be reprimanded in some fashion, but he also remains our future between the posts so those two things need balanced.  It is great to see such confidence in a young keeper, especially against a side that put 6 past him weeks ago, but he also needs to be grounded in the reality of his opinion is exactly that while the manager's opinion is the law when it comes to these decisions.

2) some people felt Sarri should have done more to force his authority,  but if anything I think he did too much (but I don't fault him because this was so unprecedented) because end of the day he still had a chance at winning a cup and ensuring our team was in the best position/mentality to do this was more important in the moment than forcing his authority....making an even bigger spectacle on the pitch/pitch side would have only made things worse.

3)  I think we now got a literal & visual example of what Sarri meant when he said this group is hard to motivate.  If I was on the pitch I'd have gone up to Kepa and either dragged him off by the scruff of his neck or fireman carry his arse off.... that nothing happened but Luiz having a few words goes to show the challenge Sarri has in having this team execute what he wants over what they want.  I'm hoping the board sees it this way too.  The players may think they know better and maybe they actually do, but it is not their place to do as they feel but as they are directed by the manager.  If Kepa felt he could do this on the pitch it speaks to me miles about the message in the dressing room, particularly from the senior players/leaders..

I'd say imagine this happening with our old spine, but if JT/Lamps/DD were in that squad then don't even think Kepa would have imagined doing it himself.... Sarri almost needs to bring in a player he can also trust to be a dressing room enforcer lol

I'm not sure JT would have dragged off big Pete, probably just a word in his ear.

Kepa and Luiz comments with hand over mouth and different native languages might have complicated it, for us it is hard to know - an embarrassing situation yet forgotten by the time we face Spurs I expect.

I feel for Sarri on this one, he was put in a difficult situation by his goalkeeper, overall I think he handled it pretty well. Kepa’s an embrassement. 

In my opinion, the situation is made even worse because of who was suppose to come in for him, a former goalkeeper of the opposing team who is known as one of the better penalty blocking keepers. Frankly, even if had Kepa not been cramping or whatever and Sarri decided to bring on Willy for pens, I wouldn’t bat an eye at that decision given Willy’s resume. 

1 hour ago, wallosh said:
4 hours ago, BlueDay said:
I think there was a bit of confusion to be fair which didn't help things.
 Kepa maybe thought he was coming off due to injury and was trying to say he was ok to continue. But Sarri wanted to change keeper for the penalties but Kepa didn't know that...  
Obviously it's still not good that Kepa didn't leave the pitch but if he was aware that Sarri wanted to change keeper due to the penalties and not due to the injury I think he would of come straight off.

I thought Luiz was trying to explain to Kepa that it was a tactical substitution.

It wasn't though. If you listen to the reaction after the game, it was because Sarri thought Kepa picked up an injury. He hadn't though, which is why this all blew up. 

What a cock...put himself before the coach and the team having done the basics at best for six months...Thibaut labelled a snake but he never pulled anything as shady as that...completely ruined all the positives from what had been a tremendous display (given what happened a fortnight before and utd too) 

59 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Didn't see the game, but in the clip of the incident, I never actually saw the sub board go up with kepa's number on it ? Is that right ?

Nope...the numbers went up...all this talk of a misunderstanding is just a cover up to try and save face for Kepa and Sarri...

1 hour ago, The Brit said:

Nope...the numbers went up...all this talk of a misunderstanding is just a cover up to try and save face for Kepa and Sarri...

I really want to believe what was said by Kepa and Sarri afterwards but I agree it really looks like a cover up. Under the circumstances I wonder if Sarri is going along with Kepa's "misunderstanding" because he fears getting the sack if it is confirmed that he had a big fallout with our most expensive signing. The truth will emerge eventually and I suspect Kepa will get a fair amount of abuse over this. The whole thing sums up our season really. What a mess

I'm not sure JT would have dragged off big Pete, probably just a word in his ear.
Kepa and Luiz comments with hand over mouth and different native languages might have complicated it, for us it is hard to know - an embarrassing situation yet forgotten by the time we face Spurs I expect.
Whatever Luiz was telling Kepa there, Kepa still disagree with Luiz.

Kepa... a complete f**king, selfish w**ker...

He completely impacted the ambiance of the ‘feel good factor’ during the closing minutes of the game.

**MUST** have affected the players... Luiz (who tried to remonstrate with Kepa) missed his penalty = unusual.

TEAM spirit destroyed in the final huddle, just B4 the penalties. Compare with City = chalk and cheese.

BIG WILLIE would have been the better option.

Kepa lets a very soft penalty in...

Dear oh dear...

Playing devil's advocate, would Willian be cut the same slack if he pulled the same trick on Wednesday?  

Hopefully Kepa and Sarri can put the incident behind them now.Kepa has to be disciplined in some way. The maximum I believe is two weeks wages, this is probably appropriate or slightly less. Should he start on Wednesday? The manager has to make a big decision,  his transfer value will probably take precedence. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see an injury hmm hmm emerge. Kepa is going and very naive, how he comes through this will define his career. He's lucky he didn't have SAF as his boss he might have left Wembley without his crown jewels though Sarri did show he has the nasty side needed to achieve.The questions though still remain about other senior team members, we used to have at least five captains on the field, what have we now.

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

The manager only wanted to sub him because he thought he was injured. Kepa was trying to get that point across to the manager, but in Sarri's head, he seen it as Kepa saying "no, I don't care if I'm injured, I'm not coming off", that is why Sarri went mad on the bench. If Sarri knew straight away that Kepa wasn't actually injured, then there wouldn't have been a problem. It's a communication breakdown, that is all. All it needed was one of our players to run over to Kepa, talk to him and then that player runs over to Sarri to fill him in. We didn't get that though, we just had keeper and coach shouting at each other from a distance. It's a fault of the team collectively, it wasn't just a simple case of a player ignoring the instructions of the manager. 

Sarri's and Kepa's comments after the match pretty much backs all of this up. 

You don’t actually buy that do you Scott? How does that explain that Sarri going for him before the penalties and Rudi having to hold him? Considering Kepa said ‘the docs that arrived at the bench to give the message’ (that he was ok), seems strange the manager would then still go to give him an earful?  And for Higuain to then have a pop as well by all accounts.

All that says to me is its an agreed story to try and save both parties face.

The kid thinks because he is the most expensive keeper in the world the rules are somehow different for him. And because of the transfer ban he knows the club can't get rid of him. What an entitled brat. I'm still in disbelief about what happened, absolute disrespect to Sarri, Willy and the team in general.

Anybody that ever played football and was part of a team knows that this episode diminished any authority he had with the squad. Shame on Kepa, everybody saw his belligerent poses towards the bench, this definitely wasn't just a misunderstanding.

Masterstroke to put on Willy! 

Sarri just forgot one important note! 

Should've informed Kepa after 90 min that we got an EX man city keeper on the bench with 11 saved pens out of 38 in his career! 

The most embarrassing thing out of the incident was none of the 'leaders' stepped up and told Kepa to get off, Luiz said a few things but failed, the Captain was no where to be seen, and we have the Belgian Captain on the field too who just looked the other way. Kepa may not have got the correct message, he might have mistook it as a sub due to injury rather than a tactical one, but surely players near the touch line should have relayed the message, and the guy wears the arm band should have told him to get off in Spanish and drag him off if required. If anyone has any doubt Sarri lost the support of the players, there it was. Every plan Sarri had just about worked out, his last move to sub the keeper could have won us the cup, if not, we'd still walk away knowing this could be the light at the end of the tunnel, instead we get this...

As much as I want to, I'm not buying the "misunderstanding" explanation either. The reactions surrounding the incident (Luiz having a word with Kepa, Rudi holding Sarri back etc.) really do seem to point towards gross insubordination on Kepa's part. 

Question is what to do now? 

Obviously a very difficult situation with Sarri almost in lame duck status and Kepa being the world's most expensive keeper on a long, long contract. 

I think any form of discipline at this point needs to come straight down from the top. For such a public display of petulance, I believe the board (or Marina) needs to come out with a joint statement with Sarri, condemning Kepa's behavior and saying that discipline would be dealt with in-house. Marina can still say it was a "misunderstanding" regarding the injury, but also say that the manager's decision is always final, and that once the board went up, Kepa should have acquiesced. This should draw a line under the incident with the press.

Behind the scenes, I would say about 2 weeks wages and a one month suspension. A one month suspension means that even IF Sarri is sacked after the Tottenham match, Kepa still needs to serve his suspension because his actions have not only disrespected Sarri, but also the club. Kepa would also need to, at the very least, apologize to Sarri, to Willy, to his teammates and the club. If he had any balls, he would apologize in public as well. 

I think if Kepa was genuinely apologetic, it might be a good chance for Sarri to play "good cop" and try to get Kepa's punishment reduced to 1 weeks wages and a 2 week suspension instead. 

I think the board needs to act in this instance, because it is a good opportunity to take a stand against the player power at the club. Regardless of whether or not Sarri still has the job in 2 weeks time, the board needs to draw a line in the sand. Enough is enough, and the board needs to make clear that this sort of behavior has no place anymore at Chelsea Football Club, no matter who the manager is. As long as there is a manager, then it is the players' job to listen to him. 

Sidenote: Azpi proved that he is not captain material today. It was the captain's job to do something and he flinched. Fantastic professional, but not a captain. 

Edited by dustbin719

I’m still fuming over this. We had played an awesome match and win or lose it gave us a superb platform to move forward on. Instead we look like a complete laughing stock, and we’ll go into Spurs with everyone questioning whether Sarri has any authority left. These f**king players..

7 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Given that Kepa has no previous history of being unprofessional, I am willing to believe and accept the explanation provided by both him and Sarri until proven otherwise. 

What do you mean, don't you believe in conspiracy theories? That's way too rational for a forum like this, ban him! :wink:

When the incident was happening my thoughts were that Sarri wanted to change Kepa due to the injury and that Kepa was telling him that he was OK. In fact, Willie only started warming up while Kepa was being treated, which suggests a quick decision to change due to injury. I'm happy with the explanations from the player and coach, and hope that whatever went on they just solve it without any fuss.

Now official statements have been made I don't expect any public punishments that might contradict those, interesting what conversations might happen within the club. I don't see Kepa leaving just because of this. Good keepers like strikers are hard to find and this apart he seems to be improving through the season as he becomes more comfortable with the league.