We've got a new Kepa

17 minutes ago, Slojo said:

And it's obvious Sarri was holding out on one last substitution, we could've had a pair of fresh legs on if we had known Kepa would be a prick.  

Yeah it seems Sarri wanted Caballero for the pens and as manager he can do whatever he likes. IMO Kepa should be fined and dropped and if he has a hissy fit about it then we sell him. The club need to stand up to the players and behaviour like this which has embarrased the club. If Kepa don't like it then f**k off!!

4 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Yeah it seems Sarri wanted Caballero for the pens and as manager he can do whatever he likes. IMO Kepa should be fined and dropped and if he has a hissy fit about it then we sell him. The club need to stand up to the players and behaviour like this which has embarrased the club. If Kepa don't like it then f**k off!!

Agree completely. 

What manager doesn't make 3 subs in a 120 minute game? I don't think I've ever seen one, it was part of the plan, I don't believe the injury story or any other story that Chelsea are trying to use to stay face, I think it's obvious what happened. 

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Agree completely. 

What manager doesn't make 3 subs in a 120 minute game? I don't think I've ever seen one, it was part of the plan, I don't believe the injury story or any other story that Chelsea are trying to use to stay face, I think it's obvious what happened. 

We made 3 subs, you get 4 when it goes to extra time. 

Just now, Slojo said:

Sorry all subs. 

Yeah just correcting the semantics, 

I'm in two minds whether Sarri planned at 90 minutes to sub in Caballero but im on the side that he made that decision after seeing Kepa pull up with cramp twice. I would have made that decision.

Not even because Cab is a better penalty saver. Just because a fresh keeper, injury free, is a better option than a keeper who has played for 120 minutes and clearly is feeling something physical. Do you really want your keeper thinking about an injury in a pen shoot out? 

Be interesting to see the reaction to Kepa on Wednesday by the crowd. The club won't bring this up again, it's done. But the crowd will be tough on him. 

2 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Yeah just correcting the semantics, 

I'm in two minds whether Sarri planned at 90 minutes to sub in Caballero but im on the side that he made that decision after seeing Kepa pull up with cramp twice. I would have made that decision.

Not even because Cab is a better penalty saver. Just because a fresh keeper, injury free, is a better option than a keeper who has played for 120 minutes and clearly is feeling something physical. Do you really want your keeper thinking about an injury in a pen shoot out? 

Be interesting to see the reaction to Kepa on Wednesday by the crowd. The club won't bring this up again, it's done. But the crowd will be tough on him. 

And don't forget Cab also played for City, he knows how most of their players take penalties. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

And don't forget Cab also played for City, he knows how most of their players take penalties. 

We can all watch videos of them taking pens. I doubt this had much affect at all. Willy is just a much bigger man who has a good pen record.

Edited by Stim
1 hour ago, Phillip said:

They both answered as well as could be expected AFTER THE FACT.  But everyone knows what really happened, that Sarri wanted a better shot stopper for the penalties, and Kepa took offense to that and would not leave the pitch, and Sarri did not have enough guts to pull him from the match and put Willy in for the pens.

I dont think it was a tactical change at all. Caballero only started to warm up after kepa was getting treatment. Also why did sarri not bring caballero on for kepa against spurs in the semi's? 

I think it was a sub because of the injury, and when your number comes up you have to go, kepa should've at least gone over to speak to sarri, because gesturing from 50 yards away just doesn't cut it. 

It was an unfortunate incident, kepa handled it badly, and I'm sure it will be dealt with internally. 

4 minutes ago, Stim said:

We can all watch videos of them taking pens. I doubt this had much affect at all. Willy is just a much bigger man who has a good pen record.

Yeah sure that's the bigger factor but also take into account training, I'm sure Callabero has trained with the City players on penalty taking many many times, he knows them more than anyone in our squad, that has to count for something. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Yeah sure that's the bigger factor but also take into account training, I'm sure Callabero has trained with the City players on penalty taking many many times, he knows them more than anyone in our squad, that has to count for something. 

Surely the fact a keeper has been brought on specifically for a shootout and a keeper who has trained with the opposition has a higher chance of getting in the minds of the City players. In a shootout you take any advantage, I just read Melchiot said it would have given us an advantage. Old news now but I reckon it would have.

7 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Surely the fact a keeper has been brought on specifically for a shootout and a keeper who has trained with the opposition has a higher chance of getting in the minds of the City players. In a shootout you take any advantage, I just read Melchiot said it would have given us an advantage. Old news now but I reckon it would have.

Agree yet had they discussed that with Kepa before the match?

City captain Vincent Kompany, meanwhile, said he had never seen anything like Kepa's refusal to go off, but was glad not to face Willy Caballero in the shootout.

'I know how good Willy is on penalties, when we won this competition against Liverpool he was tremendous, he won the penalties for us and it would be another mind game to be played,' he told Sky Sports.

'It didn't happen and the confidence was there to score the penalties. Of course I've never seen anything like it. I wish I could do it every now and then when I don't want to get subbed off!'

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Sarri names Caballero to start on Wednesday and Kepa decides he wants to play anyway. Just imagine the sight of two keepers standing in the goals arguing as to which one should play. Or maybe Kepa will start but midway through the first half he'll take his gloves off and run up the other end of the pitch saying he wants to play centre forward. He could easily steal Peta Borota's crown as out most eccentric goalkeeper.

18 minutes ago, evissy said:

I thought Kepa showed leadership skills. In a wrong way but it seems we have more than one player with fire in their belly. To be fair I didn't think it was a big deal. 

For me it was not leadership just pride, he sees himself as a top keeper and won't make way for anyone, as I have stated earlier (which thread?) had they spoken about this change or was it just spur of the moment.

I think in a week's time it will be non-story unless something flares up in the meantime.  

At least have the respect for your coach to walk over and talk to him, say you are fine and confident for he pens. Dont shout at him across the pitch making him look a fool.

Now can any of Kepas defenders on here say that would at least be the minimum he should have done?

If he had done that he would have gotten praise for his confidence and mature approach, regardless of what Sarri did next. Instead Sarri looks a fool.

9 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

At least have the respect for your coach to walk over and talk to him, say you are fine and confident for he pens. Dont shout at him across the pitch making him look a fool.

Now can any of Kepas defenders on here say that would at least be the minimum he should have done?

If he had done that he would have gotten praise for his confidence and mature approach, regardless of what Sarri did next. Instead Sarri looks a fool.

Agree with that, also a strong captain should have been there .

16 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I'm not sure JT would have dragged off big Pete, probably just a word in his ear.

Kepa and Luiz comments with hand over mouth and different native languages might have complicated it, for us it is hard to know - an embarrassing situation yet forgotten by the time we face Spurs I expect.

I don't think even for a second Pete would have ever needed such treatment..... thanks coco for addressing already something I thought we would all just assume (that Cech is the model pro GK in all ways).

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

I'd like to have seen people be as tolerant if we get to the EL-final and Willian refuse to come off in the second half because he believes he should be playing.

Completely different situations on many levels.

Willian has a rap sheet of previous run in with managers, Kepa does not.

Kepa was just signed for 70million and needs to either be our GK for many years to come or in a position where the club can recoup as much of that as possible if not make a profit.

There are players ready to slot in for Willian who can do his job and his possible replacements are already secured (CHO/Pusilic).... not really the case with Kepa, albiet we could maybe have Willy fill in till the end of season but then what

Lastly, fair or not, a lot of people just want Willian gone regardless and this would be but the perfect excuse to remove him.  I value Willian and think him in the squad makes us stronger, but if he had to go to make space for CHO/Pusilic to actually get minutes then I would be ok with that and I'm probably among those who support him the most (certainly more favorable to him than most from what I gauge).

Essentially I think many of us are "tolerant" because we don't want to cut off our nose just to spite our face, and not because we're trying to justify what Kepa.  If Hazard refused to come off he too would be treated differently, same with Kante etc etc.  Each will be treated differently because each mean different things to the club, and each have their own track record/personalitied which would also come into the consideration of how to handle it.

...... I mean, if we had a ready replacement for Kepa and wouldn't risk taking a massive hit on our biggest ever transfer fee, then he probably gets treated differently too..... but you can also see there are a lot of Chelsea fans who are showing him little to no leniency and want him gone, so it's not like Kepa is getting a free pass from all quarters.

It's a complex situation to manage for sure.

Edited by Barry Bridges

Since I am still in the "let's all dump on Kepa" mood today, can someone who speaks reasonable Basque please explain to Kepa that he is playing football, not murder ball.  For all of you who don't know, murder ball is a game where there are about 6 players a side, with about 6 balls in play, whereby when a player  grabs a ball, he throws it to try to hit an opposing player on the other side of the pitch, and it he hits the player, the player is out, but if the player catches the ball thrown at him, the thrower is out.  The team with the last player standing wins.  Kepa seemed to think that he needed to catch the shot by Arguero, and not just parry it away like any average to below average keeper would have done.  This really is inexcusable the stupid form that Kepa showed on that shot from Arguero.

OK, rant over.

Edited by Phillip