We've got a new Kepa

Zeta

No saying Kepa is poor or has even done that badly but I have to admit to being completely underwhelmed with him.

Let's not forget he IS the worlds most expensive keeper. Not his fault, I know, but it's an inescapable fact. He cost £70M+ and for that, I'm expecting a combination of Banks, Shilton, Bouffon and Cech all in one. When I first saw him I thought he didn't look particularly big or commanding for a keeper and so it has panned out. I just can't believe how much we have spent on him  - when you think what we are likely to get for Hazard. You spend that amount of money on a keeper then you are looking for a decent return - return as in points saved / games won over a season and I'm just not seeing it. What happened in the Final at Wembley hasn't helped his cause either - still got a LOT to prove.

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

We're going to be very disappointed if we compare every keeper to Cech or every CM to Lampard etc. 

Lets not forget that Cech had Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Ivanovic, Gallas etc. playing infront of him in a defensive block for most of his career.

All the more kepa should be helping out our dodgy defence with some saves, one save would be a start!!!

13 minutes ago, chi blue said:

All the more kepa should be helping out our dodgy defence with some saves, one save would be a start!!!

Made more saves and punches than the mighty Allisson and Ederson this season. Third highest amount of clean sheets too. Just seems like criticism for the sake of it at the moment.

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Thing is PloKoon, you could swap the names about and cut and paste this into the Jorginho thread where the argument is possibly even more valid. 

We've appointed Sarri who's mantra is essentially to dominate possession at all costs. 

Suddenly you throw in a manager who likes to counter attack now and then and you've huge investments square peg, round holing it. 

If that means we are essentially forced to carry on with building towards this style (with or without Sarri then) then that's fantastic. Counter attacking percentage football (as a default setting) is not atall suited to the modern game and if we revert back to it it will be a disaster.

Yeah Kepa isn’t that good is he?
I can recall Cech, Courtois producing match winning saves every few weeks, Kepa hasn’t done that apart from Prague away?
We really needed him to save us last night, nothing he could have done about the first goal but I felt he could have done better for the Barnes goal.
Sometimes I really wish he’s taller. If he was taller then perhaps he would have saved Salah’s goal, Sturridge, etc.
Hes still young though and hopefully he will get better with age.
Courtois? Producing match winning saves consistently? Haha

It's a shame Thibaut burned his bridges with us really considering he doesn't seem to be the most popular figure at Madrid (fans, dressing room, manager), and the De Gea to Real train appears to be back in motion.
I feel like we could do with a few more pricks in the dressing room as well.
I won't take Courtois back for free

He’s done alright for his first season, I don’t sh*t myself when he has the ball at his feet like I did with Snakey Jake. 

He’s young, keepers generally get better with age like a fine wine. We got lucky with Cech being as amazing as he was while he was here but look at Joe Hart; brilliant young then fell off a cliff. He’s not even first or second choice at Burnley now!

Kepa another matey that the club panicked bought and Sarri like him cus he apparently can play out of the back - you know the bit in every game where our players get pinned back by the opposition and sometimes resemble the keystone cops and our blood pressure goes through the roof. Plus  1.

Defending the 6 yard box against crosses & set pieces. Minus 1.

Shot stopping. Minus 1.

Distribution he’s an improvement just. Plus 1.

price tag (Not his fault that’s Marina’s). Minus 2.

overall minus 2 rating but the manager likes him regardless of costing the team goals etc. cus he apparently plays in the fashion he likes,  just like SSB who cannot defend in a back 4 but occasionally passes like Cesc who the manager didn’t fancy and Marina sold. 

Edited by General

42 minutes ago, General said:

overall minus 2 rating but the manager likes him regardless of costing the team goals etc. cus he apparently plays in the fashion he likes,  just like SSB who cannot defend in a back 4 but occasionally passes like Cesc who the manager didn’t fancy and Marina sold. 

Sarri wanted Cesc to stay, he played his way back in to the reckoning and was rotated in the cups with Jorginho. 

Cesc wanted to leave because he thought he was better than a bit part cup team player and now he’s looking at being relegated with his new team. 

Sarri wanted Cesc to stay, he played his way back in to the reckoning and was rotated in the cups with Jorginho. 
Cesc wanted to leave because he thought he was better than a bit part cup team player and now he’s looking at being relegated with his new team. 

Cesc left to help out Henry, who sacked month after his arrival

11 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Made more saves and punches than the mighty Allisson and Ederson this season. Third highest amount of clean sheets too. Just seems like criticism for the sake of it at the moment.

But you would expect that as Liverpool & City have been that good, their keepers don't tend to see a great deal of action.

11 minutes ago, wallosh said:
1 hour ago, Nibs said:
But you would expect that as Liverpool & City have been that good, their keepers don't tend to see a great deal of action.

I agree with you. But then Kepa is actually better than Ederson.

Well he doesn't have any ghastly neck tattoo's - I'll give him that much.

If we carry on the path we're going we don't actually need him to be a particularly great shot stopper, although you could argue why didn't we go for a cheaper option if that's the case.

If/when we become an adept possession based side for every 1 shot he's faces he will need to distribute under pressure 10 times, in those circumstances a Kepa/Ederson type keeper trumps a DDG/Courtois type.

• 2 weeks later...

On 04/05/2019 at 13:02, CFCholland said:

I must say I've been a bit underwhelmed by Kepa. But then again, it took De Gea a while to adjust to the premier league as well.

We definitely have bigger problems in our squad than Kepa.

I haven't been underwhelmed, but he hasn't been amazing either. I am happy with him overall, I don't think he has done much wrong and he's come from a league that treats physical contact as a crime, so it's going to take a season or two for him to get used to things over here. He's definitely put on a bit of muscle in the last few months, which was needed I think. He was very thin when he first joined.

37 minutes ago, Luca Vialli said:

I don't think he gets the credit for his passing, confidence and ability on the ball, For a forward thinking team he's a very underrated starting point. Think he's third in the list of clean sheets too.

He's got a good future with us.

I know the romantics will grumble at this but for possession/attacking based sides, keepers being good with their feet is more important than how many saves they make.Obviously they have to be competant at that aswell but if/when we perfect this style for 1 save Kepa has to make he will have to play out under pressure 10 times.