Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

Surprised no one has mentioned this until now but he has started both games for Spain in their Euro qualifiers this week. DDG was left on the bench. Massive achievement and deserved. Has had his errors but on the whole has been very good this season and impressed. Shows how underwhelming DDG has been. Massive for him  ::clap2::

13 hours ago, robdog said:

Kepa has now replaced David de Gea as Spain's #1

D8iGO2GXkAAeVlr.jpg

So f**king happy seeing this. 100% deserved, especially after the great season hes had and how terrible that fraud De Gea has been.

I hope to see him cement his place there, and I can only see him getting better and better from here. 

I was actually a bit skeptical when we paid 70m for a keeper who frankly I haven't heard of until we were linked with him, but it seems like it could end up being a bargain! 

1 minute ago, ENygma said:

So f**king happy seeing this. 100% deserved, especially after the great season hes had and how terrible that fraud De Gea has been.

I hope to see him cement his place there, and I can only see him getting better and better from here. 

I was actually a bit skeptical when we paid 70m for a keeper who frankly I haven't heard of until we were linked with him, but it seems like it could end up being a bargain! 

It was always going to happen eventually, DDG is the opposite of a modern keeper, he's an excellent shot stopper but too passive, playing for a rubbish United team (alas allowing his major strength to come to the fore as opposed to his weaknesses) has allowed him to inflate public opinion to the point people thought he was the world's best.

Kepa's more assured with his feet, is more proactive in sweeping (both vital components for a side like Spain)  and can actually save penalty's (very important trait for international football given many Champions of the Euro's/WC go through atleast one shootout, almost always atleast one finalist does).

1 hour ago, Argo said:

It was always going to happen eventually, DDG is the opposite of a modern keeper, he's an excellent shot stopper but too passive, playing for a rubbish United team (alas allowing his major strength to come to the fore as opposed to his weaknesses) has allowed him to inflate public opinion to the point people thought he was the world's best.

Kepa's more assured with his feet, is more proactive in sweeping (both vital components for a side like Spain)  and can actually save penalty's (very important trait for international football given many Champions of the Euro's/WC go through atleast one shootout, almost always atleast one finalist does).

Good on him. I still think he is too short for English football, but if he can progress further, particularly around controlling the area at corners. He could be a reliable number 1 for many years. 

17 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Good on him. I still think he is too short for English football, but if he can progress further, particularly around controlling the area at corners. He could be a reliable number 1 for many years. 

I think 10 years ago, his height wouldve been more of an issue, i was concerned about it too.

I think the premier league has gone alot more technical now. Its still more physical than the other top european leagues, but the likes of Cardiff are very much the minority these days. 

There is probably 14/15 sides that get the ball down and play,  rather than lump it forward as fast as possible. 

I like Kepa though, he makes some great saves, and his distribution is fantastic. 

41 minutes ago, big blue said:

I think 10 years ago, his height wouldve been more of an issue, i was concerned about it too.

I think the premier league has gone alot more technical now. Its still more physical than the other top european leagues, but the likes of Cardiff are very much the minority these days. 

There is probably 14/15 sides that get the ball down and play,  rather than lump it forward as fast as possible. 

I like Kepa though, he makes some great saves, and his distribution is fantastic. 

Agree on his distribution. It's the big plus in his game. It's more from corners and set pieces that I am concerned. Courtois and Cech both were comfortable claiming or punching from corners, Courtois in particular was imperious in that regard. It makes it easier as a defender knowing your keeper will claim anything too close. I worry we are actually too short in general from set pieces. Once we possessed four solid threats at attacking corners. Two CBs, Ivan and our striker. Now we are lucky to have one or two genuine threats.

19 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Doesn't matter how tall our attacking players are when the corner never clears the first man ?

I would say corners depend a lot more on who's in the box than the taker. I never thought we ever had a particularly good corner taker but they were causing trouble back in the day due to who we had in the box.

4 hours ago, ENygma said:

You must have missed the drama from Real Madrid in the Winter transfer window back in 2018. Perez wanted Kepa but Zidane didn't want him. And at the last minute, RM pulled out. Of course they blamed the fax machine :Troll_Face:

Still only 24 which is young for a GK, very good debut season in England, now Spains no1 and will only get better

Exciting times. He was expensive but we've potentially got a world class keeper for the next 10 years

I saw this pict the other day & people were saying it's normal for the DOF to rap with the gaffer

f6m4pcw7wq931.jpg

still I like seeing Cech rapping to Kepa & hopefully giving him knowledge from his years of experience

He really needs to work on the strength of his wrists. That’s a few penalty shootouts we’ve had where he’s got a full hand to the ball and failed to keep it out of the net. Personally felt he should have saved two of the Liverpool penalties tonight. 

Having said that he made a couple of brilliant saves tonight for us during open play.

Yeah he seems weak when he’s stretching to save shots. 

Quality keeper though. He will be right up there with the top keepers in the world.