We've got a new Kepa

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:44, DannyVblue said:

Kepa's passing is unbelievable for a keeper - he's brilliant with the ball at his feet. He can spray passes accurately with both left and right foot, and Rob Green said that he was so good with his feet that he could easily play in midfield.

Here's a little clip of Kepa's passing ability. 

He's far and away superior than De Gea with his feet.

Just watched the vid and to be honest, and maybe a bit harsh, some of those passes didn't make it to the receiver, went out or left the receiver in such a tight spot he couldn't lay off or complete the next pass. I think what it does show is that while Kepa does have decent ability to pass out from the back, passing out from the back isn't the answer on many occasions. If the opposition are serious about the high press its probably a good idea to go long sometimes.

6 hours ago, Argo said:

Apparently it's been on the cards since before he came here. Spain fans have wanted it for quite some time and apparently Hierro came close to picking him for the RO16 world cup game vs Russia.

Yesterday, Kepa made a save in the final moments of the Romania vs Spain match to ensure 3 points for Spain

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Andy North said:

Its easy to criticize goalies but on this occasion it may be warranted.

Too many slips lately. Big Pete needs to have a word with the goalkeeping coach.

Cech's had the odd dip like this himself, its if it carries on over a period of time it becomes a problem.

It's too early to write him off as yet another one of our terrible recent signings, not least because we'd take a massive hit if we put him up for sale. But if he's stilll  performing like this at  the end of the season then we should look for a new keeper, no matter how much it costs.                                                                    

10 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think it's that, I just think he's had a poor start to the season. I thought he was pretty decent overall last season.

I didn't. I thought he was nowhere to be seen on corners and didn't make enough saves from one on one positions. I figured that he would improve.  

He's obviously worse this season which is a big big concern for me. Worse than a starting point of "meh"

9 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Hopefully he will improve, but to me just looks like a pitch player stuck in goal, good with his feet which is important for the modern game, but just doesn't seem to have other goalkeeping attributes, presence, and coming for crosses, and also his shot stopping leaves a lot to be desired. 

And yet he's our first goalie as well as Spain's no. 1 choice, ahead of De Gea. Not bad for a pitch player stuck in goal.

Edited by Valerie

2 hours ago, chi blue said:

Hopefully he will improve, but to me just looks like a pitch player stuck in goal, good with his feet which is important for the modern game, but just doesn't seem to have other goalkeeping attributes, presence, and coming for crosses, and also his shot stopping leaves a lot to be desired. 

I think he does the basic stuff really well actually, shots he's actually expected to save he does it like food and drink, the only issue is so far we've rarely seen the impossible done with him (which separates him from the likes of Alison, prime DDG etc) which means we don't often stay in the game while getting battered or keep a clean sheet/only concede one while conceding lots of chances like we often did with Courtois. I don't worry about him being a spectacular liability like one of Arsenal's banter keepers of the late 00s/early 10's but equally not sure he can ever break out to a level he consistently saves our arse when an opponent is smashing us.

10 years ago I'd say we need an upgrade but in this era his weaknesses ain't that big a problem if we can grow into the side we hope. I'd say Ederson is a similar level to Kepa but his weaknesses at "actual goalkeeping" is rarely exposed due to how good and complete the side he's playing for is.

Edited by Argo
25 minutes ago, Argo said:

I think he does the basic stuff really well actually, shots he's actually expected to save he does it like food and drink, the only issue is so far we've rarely seen the impossible done with him (which separates him from the likes of Alison, prime DDG etc) which means we don't often stay in the game while getting battered or keep a clean sheet/only concede one while conceding lots of chances like we often did with Courtois. I don't worry about him being a spectacular liability like one of Arsenal's banter keepers of the late 00s/early 10's but equally not sure he can ever break out to a level he consistently saves our arse when an opponent is smashing us.

10 years ago I'd say we need an upgrade but in this era his weaknesses ain't that big a problem if we can grow into the side we hope. I'd say Ederson is a similar level to Kepa but his weaknesses at "actual goalkeeping" is rarely exposed due to how good and complete the side he's playing for is.

Good points, we haven't seen him have match winning performances yet, but not wanting to tempt fate especially with playing dippers tomorrow we haven't seen it go the other way either, playing in goal myself when younger don't like to criticize keepers, (goalkeeping union and all that), although loved taking the piss out of Scottish keepers back in the 70's and 80's, although I'm definately not convinced by Kepa he needs this season

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

I don't think his problem is stopping shots per se - his reflexes are very good if not excellent. It's parrying balls away from the danger area.

2 hours ago, DaRick said:

I don't think his problem is stopping shots per se - his reflexes are very good if not excellent. It's parrying balls away from the danger area.

Agreed, he seems to have weak forarms. He gets to most balls but is unable to redirect them enough to keep them out.