Zeta

We've got a new Kepa

Just now, dansubrosa said:

You think he was in good form before he was dropped?

I think that nobody was in good form for the past 3 months at this club and that some of the reactions here when we conceded some goals were way over the top in blaming Kepa who was obviously a bit of a scapegoat during that period. Once people saw that we concede just as much with Caballero in goal, then the Kepa hate calmed a bit and now you guys want him back in starting eleven after one good game in which we probably played our best collective defence this season which ofc protected Kepa in goal lol

It actually is. Yoy expected the guy to save things that prime Oliver Kahn wouldn't save. 
I expected him to save things that Oliver Reed would save!

He was on a howling run of form. Ridiculous that you can't accept that. No denying he wasn't the only one but daft to claim he saved everything that it is realistic to expect him too. He was dropped and fully deserved it. But fair play to come back and play like he did tonight. Be interesting to see if he keeps his spot in the team and can get some consistency back. I have my doubts but hope I'm wrong.

Great performance by Kepa tonight! I think he has plenty to still improve on, and i think if the defence in front of him was any good then he would greatly benefit from it

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, loz said:

I expected him to save things that Oliver Reed would save!

He was on a howling run of form. Ridiculous that you can't accept that. No denying he wasn't the only one but daft to claim he saved everything that it is realistic to expect him too. He was dropped and fully deserved it. But fair play to come back and play like he did tonight. Be interesting to see if he keeps his spot in the team and can get some consistency back. I have my doubts but hope I'm wrong.

Ofc he didnt save everything. No keeper saves everything you throw at him and specially if the things you throw at them are clear cut chances lol 

As I said. He dipped in form just as everybody else except maybe Kovacic. He was dropped for it which is understandable,nobody is untouchable but some fans were over the top in calling for us to sell him in the summer and stuff. He is obviously a very good keeper stuck with (mostly) sh*te defence in front of him. 

Edited by mm24

8 minutes ago, loz said:

I pray he keeps his spot. As you say, fully deserved to be dropped, he's had an awful season, but he's a talent. Today he showed good character. We couldn't have asked for more. Our first clean sheet in about 60 years. This will give him confidence. He can still be a big player for us this season. He's fighting for his Chelsea career. Tonight he looked up for the fight. 

The ariel weakness is still there but otherwise what an excellent reaction to being dropped. Hopefully knowing the manager isn't afraid to drop him keeps him alert, signing a capable number 2 also won't do any harm (I love Willy's professionalism but he's like Hilario for me, ok for 1/2 games but after that weaknesses come to the fore big time).

One of his best games in a Chelsea shirt today. 

If we aren't willing to sign big on another keeper, or can't find any suitors for him in summer, i hope we sign a proper back up that can challenge him. 

Areola would be top of my list.

2 minutes ago, coco said:

Can someone make a video of Kepa in goal last night,  you'll need lightsaber graphics/sound affects for realism.

No sorry, i'm not that tech savvy. Also, why are we shouting. 

32 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

One of his best games in a Chelsea shirt today. 

If we aren't willing to sign big on another keeper, or can't find any suitors for him in summer, i hope we sign a proper back up that can challenge him. 

Areola would be top of my list.

Isn't he a bit of a tit, though?

Posted (edited)

Did well last night so fair play.

That's the sort of performance you expect when you splash out £70m on a keeper, so hopefully that will become the norm and if so he keeps his place and we'll all be happy.

Edited by Nibs

3 hours ago, Valerie said:

It's obvious he should wear the black goalkeepers kit from now on, and third spot (yes, third, let's not muck about) and the FA Cup are ours.

Blue socks, black gloves... you’re obsessed!

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Blue socks, black gloves... you’re obsessed!

I can't help being the only one knowing what will bring us good results! And I know my part in it: go to the kitchen for a snack now and then. Not for myself obviously, but for the team 😇

Posted (edited)

If we're looking for competition at a reasonable price this summer Pedrag Rajkovic from Reims is the guy. 

He is keeping clean sheets for fun. Just saved his fourth penalty of the year too.

24 and does everything well.

Edited by Spiller86

What I liked the most was how he claimed and caught crosses against a physical centre forward. More of the same please!

36 minutes ago, Shweaves said:

What I liked the most was how he claimed and caught crosses against a physical centre forward. More of the same please!

Tbh I still think that's been a problem even in his return, he tends to unconvincingly punch at any sign of ariel pressure.

However I can accept that part of his game if he's doing the things he's suppose to be good at well, ala saving shots and distributing the ball well as he has been since his return, the problem before was he wasn't even doing that.

37 minutes ago, Argo said:

Tbh I still think that's been a problem even in his return, he tends to unconvincingly punch at any sign of ariel pressure.

I disagree with that, after this game. If I had the time (or knew how) I would find the example in the second half of Kepa catching the ball in the six yard box whilst under aerial pressure from Calvert-Lewin. It was a bit of a nothing cross but he still needed to do his job efficiently. There seems to be a bit more confidence on his part in those situations, and if he continues to do those relatively simple things well, then he will only improve. 

Look at Pickford, of a relatively similar size, catching the ball a few times around the 6 yard box from corners. If Kepa can start doing that consistently it'll do the team a world of good. Hopefully, the signs are there!