We've got a new Kepa

On 20/08/2018 at 10:09, coco said:
  • In competitive games since the start of the 2018 World Cup, David de Gea has conceded 10 goals from the past 14 shots on target he has faced.

De Gea was poor at both Euro 2016 and the World Cup, i think Kepa has a good chance of being Spain's number 1 for Euro 2020.

From his performance today against Newcastle there are areas in his game where as his so young there a few parts which I think he will need to improve to become a top class goal keeper and live up to his price tag. Filling courtios boots isn’t easy 

6 hours ago, Tom_cfc said:

From his performance today against Newcastle there are areas in his game where as his so young there a few parts which I think he will need to improve to become a top class goal keeper and live up to his price tag. Filling courtios boots isn’t easy 

Yeah, because of his big ass clown feet.

Early impressions of him so far is that he has very good distribution and possibly needs work on the strength of his wrists, he has let in a few goals that he got a full hand to. His reflexes seem on point, but he's being let down by his strength at the moment.  Hard to judge from set pieces yet, he is still to be properly tested in that area.

Once he get's used to the Premier League and adds a bit of muscle, I think he will be saving those types of shot more often than not. He reminds me of De Gea in some ways. De Gea was getting a full hand on shots when he first joined United, but he couldn't keep the shots out, once he added a bit of muscle though, he was finding it a lot easier.

10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Early impressions of him so far is that he has very good distribution and possibly needs work on the strength of his wrists, he has let in a few goals that he got a full hand to. His reflexes seem on point, but he's being let down by his strength at the moment.  Hard to judge from set pieces yet, he is still to be properly tested in that area.

Once he get's used to the Premier League and adds a bit of muscle, I think he will be saving those types of shot more often than not. He reminds me of De Gea in some ways. De Gea was getting a full hand on shots when he first joined United, but he couldn't keep the shots out, once he added a bit of muscle though, he was finding it a lot easier.

He should have done better for Mkhi's goal but he did well to even get a hand on Joselu's, had he kept that out it would have be an early frontrunner for save of the season.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

He should have done better for Mkhi's goal but he did well to even get a hand on Joselu's, had he kept that out it would have be an early frontrunner for save of the season.

That is what the very best goalkeepers do though, they keep those shots out. Like I said, his reflexes are on point, if he had a bit more strength in him, I think he would have saved that shot.

5 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

That is what the very best goalkeepers do though, they keep those shots out. Like I said, his reflexes are on point, if he had a bit more strength in him, I think he would have saved that shot.

Do they? Very rarely do i see shots/headers from that speed and closeness saved, a similar example (and even further out) would be Didiers famous header in Munich, where the world's best could only get a touch on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For mine the game versus West Ham was his best thus far.

His distribution was assured, his handling seems to have improved and the one save that he made was Courtois-like and shows that he is capable of concentrating even when nothing much is happening.

@Argo stated that one of Courtois' most valuable abilities was his ability to concentrate and pull out a spectacular save when nothing much was happening and I'm glad that Kepa seems to have that ability as well. 

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Another good display today and more good saves.

Dunno if he’s worth £70m but he’s adapted quickly and looks to be a good signing (so far).

He's not worth 70m. But we aren't accountants and we've got a keeper that's looking decent.

Easily the best ball playing keeper we've ever had, he doesn't look like he will make mistakes. 

28 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Another good display today and more good saves.

Dunno if he’s worth £70m but he’s adapted quickly and looks to be a good signing (so far).

To be fair we paid 70m... but he only cost us 39m vs keeping Courtois, and I'm not sure what other option we would have had.  The year of Courtois was offset by the year of Kovacic

On 05/10/2018 at 08:59, enigma said:

One thing I hope he learns is to come off his line faster. He's definitely behind allison and ederson in this regard. He needs to become a better sweeper keeper. 

I think he is a different keeper than that. It was the problem that De Gea had when he first came, he tried to conform to the english coming and claiming style, but he just didn't have the frame for it. For me, same with Kepa.

I think keeping has changed over the years. The marauding Peter Schmeichel school still works for some and if you are an Alisson, 6 foot 4 brick sh!thouse there is definitely a place for you. But agile, athletic, high reaction keepers are also sought after and these guys don't have to come and commit. They can stay on their line and pounce on the shots that come in. Ideally the defence should still be giving a 6 yard shield to allow for the reactions. Cudicini, De Gea, Fabianski, Kepa.

Personally i think Kepa could be as big as De Gea, but like him i think there will be times when we question how frail he looks, how dodgy he is on crosses, how he can get out muscled, all the stuff De Gea had in his first season or so here. Personally i'd take a Kepa over a Fraser Forster type any day.

He has built on his strong showing at West Ham quite nicely. 

Saved at least one goal yesterday with his shot-stopping. 

13 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Last 2 games he's been great, made match turning saves and always looked in control when passing from the back. Granted he's not the best shot blocker around, his passing/distribution skills definitely makes up for that.

He's not Courtois in that department, but on this evidence he isn't far off.