We've got a new Kepa

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The Athletic article goes into a bit more depth with it:

Interestingly they also include:

Lampard wanted to bring Shay Given to Chelsea as goalkeeper coach having worked with him at Derby but he declined the offer and so Hilario remained in the role. Interestingly Christophe Lollichon, the goalkeeping coach who Petr Cech rated so highly, is still employed by Chelsea but is apparently in a scouting role now. I believe he moved away from coaching duties a couple of years back after a falling out with Courtois. 

Personally I would like to see him reinstated as goalkeeping coach as I'm not sure Hilario's lack of experience is necessarily helping Kepa based on the evidence. 

I think you are right I did not read the article but I did guess that is where they will go with it.. him losing precious time due to an exaggerated movement..akd I guess that is the trade off in his mind.. must say ederson was guilty of it yesterday not pushing the ball far away.

In fact before posting I also checked shay given’s height and pepe reina’s And iker’s too .. surprising fact joe hart is 6’5 I thought he was on the shorter side .. nick pope is 6’3 .. Reina is 6’2 the only man shorter than kepa is saint iker!

i don’t know at this stage of his carrier if you can actually change his technique.. 

On 17/08/2020 at 14:19, ForeverCarefree said:

The Athletic article goes into a bit more depth with it:

Interestingly they also include:

Lampard wanted to bring Shay Given to Chelsea as goalkeeper coach having worked with him at Derby but he declined the offer and so Hilario remained in the role. Interestingly Christophe Lollichon, the goalkeeping coach who Petr Cech rated so highly, is still employed by Chelsea but is apparently in a scouting role now. I believe he moved away from coaching duties a couple of years back after a falling out with Courtois. 

Personally I would like to see him reinstated as goalkeeping coach as I'm not sure Hilario's lack of experience is necessarily helping Kepa based on the evidence. 

This is bang on. Great post

32 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

Does anyone feel Kepa will get another season with us ?

Going to depend on if we can find a suitable replacement. 

If Kepa goes I could see it being a 2 year loan with an option/obligation to buy at the end of it. So funds for a new goalkeeper would need to be supplemented by player sales and I honestly can't see us generating much if anything from outgoings. There was a rumour we were looking to try and sign Dean Henderson on loan from United but I can't see them wanting to sanction that deal. 

PSG's Areola is another name we've been linked with again (was linked before we signed Kepa) and I could see someone like that coming in as a more modest transfer fee would be attached to him compared to the likes of Nick Pope. 

4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Going to depend on if we can find a suitable replacement. 

If Kepa goes I could see it being a 2 year loan with an option/obligation to buy at the end of it. So funds for a new goalkeeper would need to be supplemented by player sales and I honestly can't see us generating much if anything from outgoings. There was a rumour we were looking to try and sign Dean Henderson on loan from United but I can't see them wanting to sanction that deal. 

PSG's Areola is another name we've been linked with again (was linked before we signed Kepa) and I could see someone like that coming in as a more modest transfer fee would be attached to him compared to the likes of Nick Pope. 

Reports coming out about our interest in Sergio Romero, with Henderson coming back to United for next season cant see Romero willing to drop down to number 3. I personally think he is the best number 2 in the PL & he may be able to give us a couple of decent seasons before we have the budget to get in a decent long term replacement for Kepa.

Currently we are being linked with average keepers with teams demanding an absolute fortune, if the fee is reasonable I would be over the moon with Romero.

7 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

Reports coming out about our interest in Sergio Romero, with Henderson coming back to United for next season cant see Romero willing to drop down to number 3. I personally think he is the best number 2 in the PL & he may be able to give us a couple of decent seasons before we have the budget to get in a decent long term replacement for Kepa.

Currently we are being linked with average keepers with teams demanding an absolute fortune, if the fee is reasonable I would be over the moon with Romero.

I think Romero would be a starter for several premier league teams so I’d take him. 
People laugh about the likes of Ben foster being mentioned, but the truth is, there are very few keepers in prem or championship that would have been worse than kepa last year

On 17/08/2020 at 22:06, Spiller86 said:

There were still some leftover members of the Sarricult saying he was good this season. Not recently but right up until lockdown. 

Im supposedly a Sarri cultist and I wanted him gone a long time ago. I don't know why they would be linked. Kepa is the worst player to play for Chelsea for a decade. He only looked half okay last year because opposition teams hadn't adapted to his weaknesses and Sarri organised the team well enough to support him. 

I'm seriously worried Kepa is going to be here next season. I don't understand what's the problem, keepers are only expensive if you insist on trying to sign the best keeper in the world. There are tonnes of goalkeepers available for less than 20m who we could sign. 

Why didn't we look at Ramsdale of Bournemouth? 

14 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Im supposedly a Sarri cultist and I wanted him gone a long time ago. I don't know why they would be linked. Kepa is the worst player to play for Chelsea for a decade. He only looked half okay last year because opposition teams hadn't adapted to his weaknesses and Sarri organised the team well enough to support him. 

I'm seriously worried Kepa is going to be here next season. I don't understand what's the problem, keepers are only expensive if you insist on trying to sign the best keeper in the world. There are tonnes of goalkeepers available for less than 20m who we could sign. 

Why didn't we look at Ramsdale of Bournemouth? 

I think any keeper in all four divisions is an upgrade, obviously they will vary in ability, but at least they will look like and behave like a goalkeeper, nothing in Kepa’s game even makes him look like a keeper. Whether it was the scout who spotted him, the idiot who signed him or Kepa himself, someone has really been taking the piss out of us lot

15 minutes ago, chi blue said:

I think any keeper in all four divisions is an upgrade, obviously they will vary in ability, but at least they will look like and behave like a goalkeeper, nothing in Kepa’s game even makes him look like a keeper. Whether it was the scout who spotted him, the idiot who signed him or Kepa himself, someone has really been taking the piss out of us lot

Word is Pepe Reina recommended him to Sarri as his Napoli successor and tried (and failed) to get him then, got him second time round.

The ironic things is, Reina is the keeper who has the second worse save% after Kepa this season.

18 hours ago, Argo said:

Word is Pepe Reina recommended him to Sarri as his Napoli successor and tried (and failed) to get him then, got him second time round.

The ironic things is, Reina is the keeper who has the second worse save% after Kepa this season.

Your couldn’t make it up really

1 hour ago, JM7 said:

Yeah it’s difficult to see who will sign that isn’t over priced or an obvious upgrade. 

This was why I thought that Jack Butland for 8 mil might be an option, yes I know he is out of form and confidence but at 27 he could recover and 8 mil for an england international is a good deal,when he was in form he was a very good keeper

34 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

This was why I thought that Jack Butland for 8 mil might be an option, yes I know he is out of form and confidence but at 27 he could recover and 8 mil for an england international is a good deal,when he was in form he was a very good keeper

I'd rather hand Kepa a 10 year deal and bring back Turnbull as his back up.

I'm afraid he will use the players overpowered privileges especially at CFC and he will stay and continue to get his salary. Can we buyout him, is there such a thing in football? Just get rid of him for once and let him seek his next club by himself. I'd do that for sure if I get any indications he doesn't care about fate and starting position. 

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

I keep seeing posts saying cech has asked Frank to give kepa another chance,but the damage could be done by winter window that puts us out of any challenge. 

If this is true, I can only think that the board are putting pressure on for Kepa To play, so to protect there ridiculous investment, and as Cech is the one in middle between board and playing staff he has to relay it to Frank, utter madness if true

34 minutes ago, JM7 said:

I still think that if you put Kepa in front of a decent defence, he’ll do ok. He was ok under Sarri. I know he can improve in certain areas but our defence offers him no protection. 

The goalie is part of the defense. If you have Terry, Carvalho, Ivanovic and Ashley in front of any clumsy goalkeeper he'll be OK. Applies to all the 4(5) defensive positions. But for 80 millions he is not supposed to be covered by the defense, he is supposed to command the defense, to make actual saves and to help the defense grow. Not the other way around. Not for 80 millions, no. 

Edited by Droopy

Really don't think we should be hasty in replacing Kepa, as that's exactly the same way we got into this "mess" to begin with, by panicking after Courtois bailed.

If we complete other expected transfers (Havertz, Chilwell, Silva) then I'm content and feel cautiously optimistic to see how Kepa will perform with an upgraded team in front of him. If we can't get a proper GK target this window I would genuinely rather we wait and aim to get an Onana or Pope or similar in January. That also gives us time to sell off your Jorginhos and Emersons to recoup the necessary funds.

For me it's just a case of "better the devil you know"... Even an 8m Butland could just be 8m down the drain for no tangible improvement.

Sergio Romero is the only budget option that really intrigues me, but definitely cannot see Manure letting him come to us.