We've got a new Kepa

I've had slight fears that time would pass and some would get the "bright" idea that Kepa might deserve one more chance, that's he wasn't that shocking and so on.

I'll just say that can't happen. He needs to go and i trust that the club are working hard on it as we speak.

No wonder we struggled so badly with corners/set-pieces and crosses in general. 

Edited by Sindre

2 hours ago, coco said:

I do feel sorry for him. Then i remember how much he earns. With that huge contract we made him a success, before he was a success. What i mean is he couldn't lose, only the club can lose.

Exactly. To put into perspective, Kepa's our second highest earner atm. 

1 hour ago, Kev56 said:

Cech who is now a technical and performance advisor at Stamford Bridge said: 'Kepa struggled last season, that is unquestionable.

'But the club invested in him and gave him a long-term contract because they believe he has the qualities and attributes to be successful.

'Additions will be made to the squad, perhaps even in goal, and this is what is being discussed now.

'But nobody is giving up on Kepa and we all hope he has a great future.'

Translation: Kepa played like crap last season, everybody knows that. But the club stupidly spent a fortune on him and gave him a ridiculously long contract so now in a post-Covid transfer market we're stuck with him because no club's willing even to cover his wages, let alone pay a loan fee. But don't worry, we're going to buy a new keeper.

Edited by abramovich
21 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

Well if we don't get a new keeper, Frank had better be cut some slack for all the goals kepa let's in by not moving or week limp wrists.

Why? 

If we don't get a new keeper that will be because the management team, including Frank, prioritised a new left back, a centre back, a striker, a winger and a midfielder over replacing the worst player to play for Chelsea in a generation. 

Frank will be a part of that decision. 

However I think we will get a new keeper and whoever they are, they will be our number 1.

At this point, I wouldn't even complain if we signed an average PL keeper on the cheap, just someone who can do a decent job but has all the basics covered. 

That's how bad the goalkeeper situation is here at the moment. Absolutely under no circumstances can we persist with playing Kepa for another season, if he stays at the club, he can play in the reserves. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

At this point, I wouldn't even complain if we signed an average PL keeper on the cheap, just someone who can do a decent job but has all the basics covered. 

That's how bad the goalkeeper situation is here at the moment. Absolutely under no circumstances can we persist with playing Kepa for another season, if he stays at the club, he can play in the reserves. 

The reserves are gonna hate you for that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/01/kepa-arrizabalaga-will-stay-fight-chelsea-place-even-sign-goalkeeper/

Definitly stuck with him. Probably for the next five years too actually because who in the world is going to take on his contract? Caballero is better and Lampard prefered him to close out last season so chances are that we'll have a world-record third choice goalkeeper if/when we sign a goalie.

Hopefully there are someone in the pipeline though. Season is less then two weeks away and our goalkeeper situation will cost us greatly if we can't get somthing done.

14 hours ago, Sindre said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/01/kepa-arrizabalaga-will-stay-fight-chelsea-place-even-sign-goalkeeper/

Definitly stuck with him. Probably for the next five years too actually because who in the world is going to take on his contract? Caballero is better and Lampard prefered him to close out last season so chances are that we'll have a world-record third choice goalkeeper if/when we sign a goalie.

Hopefully there are someone in the pipeline though. Season is less then two weeks away and our goalkeeper situation will cost us greatly if we can't get somthing done.

My guess was that Willy was picked to get Kepa out of the limelight, its clear his confidence is shot, and while he isnt the best (an understatement I know) he must have some level of talent to even be at this level and to represent his country, I hope that he can prove me wrong and actually be competent, 

His confidence was shot to pieces for the last few months of the season and it was painful to watch. He had a decent first season with us though, so willing to give him another season with a better defense/team in front of him. Although he was bad, the amount of clear cut chances we gave away last season was ridiculous. A new goalie would be good, but I don't think it's as essential as some on here.

Make or break season for him. After seeing him for 2 years at this club, I can say that he doesn't suit the EPL. De Gea could because he can pull out world class saves out the arse back when he was Kepa's age. 

Kepa has never shown that level of shot stopping.

its clear we cant shift him, and it isnt really a surprise considering the season he just had, the wages he is in, and the current climate financially. 

So it looks like we will go for a mendy, who presumably will be seen as competition for a season until we can shift kepa on, and then he may still be happy to stay as second choice behind a new number 1, if he doesnt do enough to convince lamps he should be 1st choice long term.

Personally i want Onana, but maybe his wages are an issue and we cant afford both onana and kepa on the books. 

Think thats it big blue.

Plus he cant be any worse this season than he was last season. Maybe his stock will rise and if hes improved someone will take a punt on him.

Ideally he'd get back to the sort of form he was capable of...

17 hours ago, big blue said:

So it looks like we will go for a mendy,

Looks like Rennes want too much money for him now. So doubt that's going to happen anymore.

At this point it looks like Kepa (or Willy) will start the season at the very least. That's a surprise to be honest.
That might cost us early on. And if we want to compete with City and Liverpool this season we can't afford that.

Just now, Droopy said:

There is no way in hell Kepa stays and the team and he is not playing. Frank doesn't want him? They will make him play him. Be sure about that. 

Why so sure? So he could potentially regain some value for a sale next summer?

Looks like Rennes want too much money for him now. So doubt that's going to happen anymore.
At this point it looks like Kepa (or Willy) will start the season at the very least. That's a surprise to be honest.
That might cost us early on. And if we want to compete with City and Liverpool this season we can't afford that.
The window is open for another month. We will secure one of our targets. I am 100% sure. Not a disaster if Kepa starts the season.
On 01/09/2020 at 19:00, Sindre said:

If he's number two then (the banter we'll get for having a £71m sub aside) that won't be particularly terrible aslong as our new GK stays healthy for the most part.

City couldn't get shot of Bravo after his horrorshow season so he just rode the bench for the rest of his time there.

However I don't think Kepa will stay for the five years unless he has literally zero ambition. Bravo was in his twilight years while Kepa is in prime age, 99.9% of player's won't want that for themselves.

For the future of Chelsea and the player, he needs to leave.

He is not suited to the league and there is zero confidence in him from the defence. There is absolutely no point improving our team and leaving our weakest player in the starting 11. I’m sorry but he needs to go if we want to challenge.