We've got a new Kepa

Just now, Remodez said:

I think he had a pretty good game, by his standards, apart from that error. 

Played well despite the error but truth is he's now prone to make a match determining mistake every time he plays now. 

Sealed his fate today, as soon as Mendy is available he's going to be first choice. Just a question of whether Frank looks to the equally questionable Willy in the interim. 

8 minutes ago, Remodez said:

That is the problem though. In games like this he just cannot be trusted to last 90 minutes without making an error that changes the game. He just isn't an option for a team that has ambitions beyond mid table.

12 minutes ago, forbzy said:

That is the problem though. In games like this he just cannot be trusted to last 90 minutes without making an error that changes the game. He just isn't an option for a team that has ambitions beyond mid table.

Exactly.

It's one thing when a top class keeper makes one error leading to a goal but people don't overreact because he had ten world class performances for weeks prior to that one mistake. Kepa makes costly mistakes literally every match, it's like watching a neverending nightmare.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Heard it said by Carragher on monday we rarely get fleeced on deals but we did on Kepa big time.

I would argue that. Drinkwater,  Baka, Batman, Jorginho all elite levels of appalling business. Just to name four more.

To be fair DW and Bakayoko were title winning midfielders, Jorginho was highly rated and wanted by City as well, we signed him for Sarri. Kepa is in a league of his own as he had no prior achievements and was not rated at all yet we paid a fee that suggested he was already world class.

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Actually decent apart from that horrible error. 

At least he cant moan at being dropped, he started the season as number 1, 2 mistakes in 2 games, and he will rightfully lose his place. 

Decent? When you are not being terrible and making mistakes you are... decent? 

It’s so tragic that the only player I can remember ever getting a 7 year contract at the club is absolutely brutal. And on massive wages for a goalkeeper as well.

And thats without mentioning the fee.

I think there is no chance we ever get a penny back for him.

It's probably not a popular opinion around here but I was never convinced by Caballero, either. He is just as poor with crosses, decent, but not great shot stopper and fairly often makes mistakes. Granted, at least his mistakes can be explained by lack of playing time, but why couldn't we get a more challenging backup for Kepa to compete with?

2 minutes ago, abramovich said:

It's probably not a popular opinion around here but I was never convinced by Caballero, either. He is just as poor with crosses, decent, but not great shot stopper and fairly often makes mistakes. Granted, at least his mistakes can be explained by lack of playing time, but why couldn't we get a more challenging backup for Kepa to compete with?

I would agree. Willy is a great pro but not an improvement on Kepa imo. 

If he was still here I would prefer Jamie Cumming go in goal rather than Willy.

2 hours ago, Remodez said:

Agree with this, particularly the "by his standards" part.

All the same, surely we are finally at the point where we can say that he must never, ever wear a Chelsea shirt again.

Saying that, I did enjoy his little first half homage to Caballero, i.e. charging out to meet a ball he was never getting and finding himself lost at the edge of the box. The shot was ultimately blocked by Christensen of all people!

10 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

3 mistakes today. One flap at a cross any decent keeper would have caught, one charge out when the ball wasn't there to be won and of course, the goal.

Hopefully for him and us it's his last meaningful contribution in a Chelsea shirt. 

This is hilarious. The good keepers' mistakes highlights per year, and I mean the good not the greatest, usually have such and this amount of plays. This is Kepa for Chelsea on his good day. 😄 

Edited by Droopy

I cant see how anyone can defend him. He did'nt play well today, the saves he made were routine for any keeper.

Had Christensen not fouled Mane he would have been embarrassed by Mane going round him, or possibly have brought Mane down himself and got sent off, either way the ball was never there to be his, so again Poor Judgement.

I cant remember a Keeper that has made so many errors that have led directly to goals, his price tag is irrelevant, he's just a poor keeper. Goodbye

This is just dreadful decision-making and positioning for a goalkeeper. He's miles out of his goal and he's never going to get to the ball before Mane. I'm no fan of Christensen, but he probably realised that he had to do something to try and put Mane off, and he overdid it ...

image.thumb.png.38db9d1c070680f7fe58e5bdcdb4a671.png

And then for the second goal, after he's made the original error with the pass, he goes in foot first like a centre back to try and block the shot, He's not diving hands first, and spreading himself to make himself as big as possible.  Probably would have scored anyway, but it says to me that his natural reactions and instincts are all wrong. I only played goalkeeper for a year as a kid, but on day 1 I think I had a better grasp of the basics than that ....

image.png.79b937980335f65e2a46882a2efc179f.png

Mendy can't come soon enough ... should have been the FIRST bit of business of the transfer window !!!

Edited by Sexyfootball
52 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

This is just dreadful decision-making and positioning for a goalkeeper. He's miles out of his goal and he's never going to get to the ball before Mane. I'm no fan of Christensen, but he probably realised that he had to do something to try and put Mane off, and he overdid it ...

image.thumb.png.38db9d1c070680f7fe58e5bdcdb4a671.png

And then for the second goal, after he's made the original error with the pass, he goes in foot first like a centre back to try and block the shot, He's not diving hands first, and spreading himself to make himself as big as possible.  Probably would have scored anyway, but it says to me that his natural reactions and instincts are all wrong. I only played goalkeeper for a year as a kid, but on day 1 I think I had a better grasp of the basics than that ....

image.png.79b937980335f65e2a46882a2efc179f.png

Mendy can't come soon enough ... should have been the FIRST bit of business of the transfer window !!!

Will Mendy have to self isolate for two weeks like Thiago Silva who played in the same country?