We've got a new Kepa

Big Pete was at the Bridge yesterday - can´t we persuade him to do Kepas job? He will be better than Kepa when he will be in his fifties.

Kepa did not improve anywhere, since he is here. Our staff seems to be unable to improve anything of him. He is crap in every respect.

BTW - the price, we paid for him, is not important. We just can´t compete with other clubs with a 3rd choice keeper like him.

Edited by nominator

7 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

This is just dreadful decision-making and positioning for a goalkeeper. He's miles out of his goal and he's never going to get to the ball before Mane. I'm no fan of Christensen, but he probably realised that he had to do something to try and put Mane off, and he overdid it ...

image.thumb.png.38db9d1c070680f7fe58e5bdcdb4a671.png

And then for the second goal, after he's made the original error with the pass, he goes in foot first like a centre back to try and block the shot, He's not diving hands first, and spreading himself to make himself as big as possible.  Probably would have scored anyway, but it says to me that his natural reactions and instincts are all wrong. I only played goalkeeper for a year as a kid, but on day 1 I think I had a better grasp of the basics than that ....

image.png.79b937980335f65e2a46882a2efc179f.png

Mendy can't come soon enough ... should have been the FIRST bit of business of the transfer window !!!

Great captures and observations.  Easy to layer on top of this other moments within the match (missed cross, other rush out where spin of the ball took it away from him).  Completely agree Mendy can't come soon enough.  Also agree with Erdal1905 regarding questions should be asked of the GK coaches.

9 hours ago, General said:

Him earning a hundred and something thousand pounds a week means I have zero empathy !

Earning loads of money doesn't give Immunity to negative human emotions, have you forgotten about what happened to Caroline Flack a mere 7 months ago?

Edited by Argo

25 minutes ago, General said:

This is an interesting opinion on the pitiful lads predicament, and yes I do feel ever so slightly for him ok ! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/21/kepa-arrizabalaga-confidence-shot-way-chelsea-play-doesnt-help-him-frank-lampard-liverpool

I do feel for him.

Don't agree with this assessment though. He's done very poorly with shots from outside the box. We would concede less from corners if he commanded the box better and caught the ball on occasion.

As the author admitted, the sample size is small. And if he didn't want to over infer, then he should have at the very least divided Kepa's statistics into goals from set pieces and counter attacks and otherwise. All the xG stats indicate that Kepa conceded far more goals than he was expected dto given the chances we conceded. Although such analyses come with their own issues, they are still probably more nuanced than the analysis in this article!

36 minutes ago, General said:

This is an interesting opinion on the pitiful lads predicament, and yes I do feel ever so slightly for him ok ! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/21/kepa-arrizabalaga-confidence-shot-way-chelsea-play-doesnt-help-him-frank-lampard-liverpool

Jonathan wilson has publicly stated that he will be overly critical of frank lampard because he believes the rest of the media give him a free ride. 

I'd read everything he writes on the topic of football as he's a fantastic writer but nothing on chelsea until Frank leaves. 

10 hours ago, Erdal1905 said:

There is no question Kepa has to be benched, but what about our Goalkeeper coaches? I've often heard that there are many better coaches than Hilario? Of course he isn't responsible for Kepa's performances, but I would question him a bit too?!

This is a valid point. I'm hoping that Lollichon who was frozen out a bit by Courtois and then Kepa gets back into a coaching role now and will work with Mendy directly. 

22 hours ago, big blue said:

Decent compared to what he is usually like, he actually made a couple of saves and caught a cross! 

By Kepa's standards that was a master class mate.

Come on, give the guy some credit. He caught two crosses. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

This is a valid point. I'm hoping that Lollichon who was frozen out a bit by Courtois and then Kepa gets back into a coaching role now and will work with Mendy directly. 

Lollichon is the Head Goalkeeping Coach or some such, he could easily replace Hilario but I don’t think even divine intervention could help Kepa now. 

Seems like there isn’t much sympathy for the bloke, I think we should loan him out back in Spain. If it’s a confidence issue maybe it’ll help. Either way at the moment he shouldn’t be anywhere near our goal. As said whoever decided on this ridiculous deal should stand up and be counted.

I think that Kepa was speaking Spanish to the rest of the players before a corner or a free kick or a throw-in, during the last game against Liverpool.

I'm pretty sure that it was him that was yelling "izquierda, izquierda" and stuff like that, the other option of course would be Alonso but I'm 80% sure it was Kepa.

So not only is he bad to cover his own area, his communication is still done in Spanish even after 3 years of being here, unless he was specifically telling to Alonso to move to the left or to watch out to his left.

10 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Seems like there isn’t much sympathy for the bloke, I think we should loan him out back in Spain. If it’s a confidence issue maybe it’ll help. Either way at the moment he shouldn’t be anywhere near our goal. As said whoever decided on this ridiculous deal should stand up and be counted.

Word is he was a recomendation from Pepe Reina (to Sarri).

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I think that Kepa was speaking Spanish to the rest of the players before a corner or a free kick or a throw-in, during the last game against Liverpool.

I'm pretty sure that it was him that was yelling "izquierda, izquierda" and stuff like that, the other option of course would be Alonso but I'm 80% sure it was Kepa.

So not only is he bad to cover his own area, his communication is still done in Spanish even after 3 years of being here, unless he was specifically telling to Alonso to move to the left or to watch out to his left.

I'm sure a proper analyst can spot lots of problems with him but for me the main one is the amount of time it takes him to make a decision, it's like half a second too long before he moves and I swear no other GK does this.

I’m past being angry at Kepa, it’s more sympathy than anything else now. He really isn’t in a good place now and I think he could do with a loan, come back fresh with the mistakes behind him.

There’s literally nothing he can do, he knows all the eyes are on him waiting for a mistake, and to play with that pressure and mindset, impossible to get out of. It’s affecting De Gea too.

Yeah, he is not a professional. From that final and the incident with Sarri, to embarrassing quarrel with Rudiger, never seems to regret after mistakes and apparently he hadn't even been speaking the language. Terrible person. You should earn it before even start to behave like that. Diego Costa was  horrible in his bad moods but that guy contributed a lot for two titles. He's been as they said the team clown, lifting the spirit of the others, joking around. And we all know how passionate and dedicated he was on the pitch even with the situations outside of the pure sport. 😄  And yet most of the people did not forgive Diego about his moments. Kepa on the other hand is in a never ending loop of similar moments, without the resume and the proof that he is even close to the class of Diego. 

I partially  blame Azpilicueta as well. First of all he backed up a player instead of the coach. It all started there. Also I bet he never spoke to him about his behavior, mistakes, how to improve, to speak English, to communicate with the defenders. He is like a stranger to Rudiger, Zouma all the other guys outside of the Spanish colony. A captain should not create diversion within the team. Dave is a legend but he will probably be remembered as one of the worst captains in Chelsea's history. Not to mention his zero influence in the conversations with the referees.  

6 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

I'm sure a proper analyst can spot lots of problems with him but for me the main one is the amount of time it takes him to make a decision, it's like half a second too long before he moves and I swear no other GK does this.

giphy.gif

It's also a matter of a bad judgment as well, he clearly thought he had the ball and then he was lost and couldn't even throw his arm to block that simple pass from a dead angle.

giphy.gif

Here is a great example of what you said, he can make a 1 touch pass like any other player but he first stops the ball, takes an extra step and that extra second is basically a gift for Mane.