We've got a new Kepa

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Just gotta find a loan back to spain for him. We will have to pay most of his wages and still will do when we sell him. I doubt he walks away from that money. 

Like the Drinkwater money just has to be written off.

£200 million we invested in those two (fee+contract). To have a £200 million investment be perilously close to being worth £0 just a few years later is just unheard of.

Nothing we can do but move forward the best we can though.

Of course Lamps isn't going to throw him under the bus even if that helps to move him on it will kill his value in the process.

I do think that Kepa would be willing to take a pay cut and move next season but I also think that having been at Chelsea, he's going to want to go to a reasonably big club as well.

I don't think Cech being in the squad is a subtle nudge to make him move on, having Mendy ahead of him is already enough, no young goalkeeper wants to be a no.2

With every game that passes it becomes even more apparent just how weak he was.  We saw it every week, and was hard to watch.  But now we are seeing the upside with Mendy and results, or clean sheets.  Of course many other contributing factors, but this was issue no.1.

5 hours ago, Deino said:

Sell him quick and get a decent DM with the money and we are sorted.

Thing is, who is going to buy him and for how much. To get a good DM is going to cost a lot more than Keppas worth.

Also he won’t leave because no one is going to match the ridiculous contract he is on.

Edited by Kev56

8 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Not sure what DMs are available for 50 quid 

Oh no!

9 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Thing is, who is going to buy him and for how much. To get a good DM is going to cost a lot more than Keppas worth.

Also he won’t leave because no one is going to match the ridiculous contract he is on.

That's the thing as well. I'm sure he can hack it at Athletic Bilbao and they love Basques. Surely they can afford some of his fee and wages

Doubt Bilbao will spend more than £30m for him, especially when their new young goalkeeper is all the rage and Spain's third choice.  Also they definitely couldn't afford the wages he's on. I think our best best is to loan him to a top Spanish club, and pray he has a stormer and then offload him to a PSG or anyone with cash. 

I admit that I have not bothered to look this up, but one question that has come to mind is this:

Did Kepa cost more (in terms of pure transfer fee) than every single other goalkeeper that has ever played for Chelsea put together?

Edited by PloKoon13
9 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

I admit that I have not bothered to look this up, but one question that has come to mind is this:

Did Kepa cost more (in terms of pure transfer fee) than every single other goalkeeper that has ever played for Chelsea put together?

Not only do you bump the worst thread on the forum, you want maths as well.

Does it really matter anymore. I know it’s a lot of money, but bigger picture we’ll grow well beyond that and he would have end up costing us far more. 
Even if he has four years of loans and we pay a small amount of his wages and receive a nominal loan fee I’d take it. 

1 minute ago, PloKoon13 said:

I assumed you had nerds for this. People to take into account the exchange rate and what not...

Anyone with an IQ above 1 could work that one out, luckily i just make it so here goes, all CFC keepers pre-Kepa = £18 million and sixpence, which is a few shillings less than we paid for Kepa.

16 minutes ago, coco said:

Anyone with an IQ above 1 could work that one out, luckily i just make it so here goes, all CFC keepers pre-Kepa = £18 million and sixpence, which is a few shillings less than we paid for Kepa.

Coincidentally, Transfermarket had a valuation of £18M on Kepa when we paid £72M for him ... quite why we arrived at the negotiating table prepared to pay 4x what he was probably worth is beyond my simple comprehension ... I expect we more than sextupled his wages as well.

Transfermarkt have him at £16M now, so that's probably the ball park we might get should he suddenly develop the urge to play football and accept a hugely lower wage deal ... and some club is actually stupid enough to want him and to sign him ...

We are looking at the sort of scenario whereby the pigs are flying over a frozen hell for anything to actually happen here ... 🙂

11 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Coincidentally, Transfermarket had a valuation of £18M on Kepa when we paid £72M for him ... quite why we arrived at the negotiating table prepared to pay 4x what he was probably worth is beyond my simple comprehension ... I expect we more than sextupled his wages as well.

Transfermarkt have him at £16M now, so that's probably the ball park we might get should he suddenly develop the urge to play football and accept a hugely lower wage deal ... and some club is actually stupid enough to want him and to sign him ...

We are looking at the sort of scenario whereby the pigs are flying over a frozen hell for anything to actually happen here ... 🙂

With the whole Courtois episode prolonging well into the transfer window we simply met Kepa's release clause there was no negotiation.