We've got a new Kepa

22 hours ago, Argo said:

He done some absolute basics you would expect from any keeper.

Absolutely agree, nothing more, nothing less.

I was furious last night when I saw that Kepa was selected ahead of Mendy and 24 hours later , although I sort of understand why TT did what he did, I’m no less impressed and definitely not keen on him ever repeating it .

My worry is that last nights exercise in building up Kepa’s confidence, ready for the day when Mendy is genuinely unavailable, is just papering over the cracks, because you can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear - no amount of playing time for Kepa will make him taller, make him bigger physically, nor I believe, will it make him a commanding presence in the 18 yard box or give his team mates confidence in his ability to be a PL winning teams goalie.

I’m honestly not convinced that Mendy is that goalkeeper , but Kepa will never be imo and I remain fearful that he will continue to sit as numero dos until that fateful day when the no.2 has to step up and be the no.1 and, inevitably, it all turns to rat sh*t again !!!!!

He needs replaced, simple as.

12 hours ago, Vagabond said:

After that game I didn't want to see him anywhere near the starting XI anymore. They even changed the rules because of Kepa. I still get angry about it, he completely embarassed Sarri there.

I still dislike Kepa from that game. There's nothing I like about him. 

I try to seperate his personality from him as a player, but even as a player I don't like him. I can't get onboard the new Kepa resurrgence, I think he's a liability and always will be, he's cost us more than he's gained. 

Overpriced panic buy. Huge gamble to pay so much for such an unproven keeper and it backfired massively. Not worth throwing any more money or "faith" at the situation, just loan him out for a season or two, hope he performs reasonably well, then sell to recoup as much as we can. Mendy will be an excellent Number Two but we should really be offloading Kepa to bring in a top quality keeper, or at least a proven keeper with potential to become even better, such as Henderson who is bench warming at United and would be easily our Number One.

16 hours ago, coco said:

The worst thing about Kepa, not the price, not the incompetence at crosses, not the weak wrists, but the 7 season contract. Purchased for 72m current value on TM 13.5m.

The even bigger issue is the huge wages he was offered for that 7 year contract ... the duration itself doesn't really matter, it is the fact that very few other clubs can afford to pay him what we are, even if they wanted him ... so why would he move ?  I think we are stuck with him. Only option to get rid is a loan with us paying most of his wages, or somehow he magicly improves ...

On 18/02/2021 at 13:36, Argo said:

What exactly has Henderson proven that Mendy hasn't?

Fair point and probably not much but I feel looking at Henderson that he has a higher ceiling. Mendy doesnt always convince me. He's been good and the stats show he's doing a good job, im just not convinced that he should be our long term number 1.

On 18/02/2021 at 19:16, coco said:

The worst thing about Kepa, not the price, not the incompetence at crosses, not the weak wrists, but the 7 season contract. Purchased for 72m current value on TM 13.5m.

I don’t think Kepa is having an especially poor run of form, I honestly believe that what we’ve seen is as good as he gets and (I know it’s easy to say in hindsight) but he’s too short, too light, too timid, too everything really to be top club keeper and if we all think that then every other club will surely think the same , I don’t think he is able to improve - this is as good as it gets.

Bearing in mind the length of his contract and his current salary , it adds up to squillions in earnings over the next 4 and bit seasons that he hasn’t a hope in hell of earning anywhere else so I don’t think he’s, voluntarily, going anywhere any time soon.

The worst part of all of this for me, is that he remains as the number 2 to Mendy and then comes the day when he has to step up - f**king disaster time !

It’s a real conundrum, a proper buggers muddle, who would give 13.5 for him ? I can’t see it - we wouldn’t so why would anyone else?

Its easy to play with someone else’s money, but rather than let him warm the bench, loan him out, pay his salary for the whole of his contract and get a genuine No 1. keeper in his stead.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Quick word of acknowledgement and praise for Kepa. 

Kept another clean sheet yesterday and made a couple of time interventions. 

He's never going to be the player we wanted/needed him to be but at least looks to have regained some confidence based on recent performances. 

Minimally, these decent showings he’s been having are keeping his value a little higher ahead of a likely loan or sale in the next year.

Still think that with the good defence, he’s not too bad a keeper. His reaction saves are great. It’s the longer shots that he struggles with. Tuchel is right to play him smaller games, rebuild confidence and his reputation. I’m sure the club are very keen for a resolution either way. 

9 hours ago, JM7 said:

Still think that with the good defence, he’s not too bad a keeper. His reaction saves are great. It’s the longer shots that he struggles with. Tuchel is right to play him smaller games, rebuild confidence and his reputation. I’m sure the club are very keen for a resolution either way. 

He is bad

• 5 weeks later...