Sign in to follow this  
Ewell CFC

Favourite Ever Away Game

went to palace away over Christmas the other week, 12 o'clock ko, so left early, got to East croydon station about 9am and a few chelsea on platform, some guy who lives down our way, was looking like a w**ked out wood pigeon! he was holding a kit bag, I asked what was he doing with kit bag etc, he'd been to old firm at Ibrox day before, Rangers won 1-0, he was up till 1:30am drinking, then got 5am flight back down and was now going to Palace. He was queing up outside the pub like the rest of us in Thornton Heath at 9:30am, now that is either dedication or the behaviour of a madman.

40 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Always wanted to go to an Old Firm game.

Me mate made it for the New Years Day fixture last year I think. Reckoned half the crowd were still steaming drunk from the night before.

He went for a piss at half time; A Rangers fan was slagging off the ref, a fellow Gers fan said he was talking bollox, the team were sh*te. 

Next thing they’re rolling round in the urinals! Sounds pretty drink related...

Ah 'the joys' of Scottish football...

Sometimes watching the crowd is more entertaining/interesting than the actual game itself.:biggrin:

Given the affinity between Rangers and Chelsea fans, ( not a high risk fixture aggro wise as in Celtic), I’m surprised we haven’t played each other more in friendlies?

Fat chance now. Pre season is now about games in Asia and America ( emerging markets)

http://thechels.info/wiki/Matches_against_Rangers_F.C

Amazingly the first three games between Chelsea and Rangers took place in 1954.

Not at The Bridge or Ibrox, but in Canada and the USA !

'Chelsea have never faced Rangers in a competitive game, although the clubs have met eight times in friendlies. They met thrice within a month during a 1954 North American tour including, bizarrely, two matches in two days. Rangers also provided the opposition for Ron Harris' 1971 testimonial and a fundraiser for the Bradford City disaster in 1985. The clubs met again in 1986, 2007 and 2011.'

Sun 16 May 1954 Friendly Rangers Neutral* Lost 0-1 *Played at the Delorimier Stadium, Montreal
Sat 05 June 1954 Friendly Rangers Neutral* Won 4-1 *Played at the Varsity Stadium, Toronto
Sun 06 June 1954 Friendly Rangers Neutral* Drew 0-0

*Played at Randalls Island, New York

5 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Anyone go to the Celtic “ friendly” at the Bridge about 10 years ago.

Pretty lively on Fulham Broadway before the game.

5 hours ago, erskblue said:

I was down doing a Bridge Tour not long after this game, upon hearing my Scottish accent.

Someone near me came over and asked which of the Glasgow teams I preferred.

When I replied it was Rangers. I was told a few tales of what happened before the friendly with Celtic !

4 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Always wanted to go to an Old Firm game.

Me mate made it for the New Years Day fixture last year I think. Reckoned half the crowd were still steaming drunk from the night before.

He went for a piss at half time; A Rangers fan was slagging off the ref, a fellow Gers fan said he was talking bollox, the team were sh*te. 

Next thing they’re rolling round in the urinals! Sounds pretty drink related...

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Given the affinity between Rangers and Chelsea fans, ( not a high risk fixture aggro wise as in Celtic), I’m surprised we haven’t played each other more in friendlies?

Fat chance now. Pre season is now about games in Asia and America ( emerging markets)

I was at the Bridge when we played Celtic. Yes, a bit of trouble at the game.  I've been to a few Old Firm games over the years. An amazing atmosphere. I was at the 1989 Scottish Cup Final in 1989 when Celtic won 1-0. Was on a Rangers supporters bus and on the way to Hampden Park and we passed a Celtic supporters' pub. The bus was pelted with cans and bottles.

I was at the two friendlies between Rangers and Chelsea at Ibrox in 2007 and 2011. The atmosphere at both games, especially the one in 2007 was superb. Lampard was cheered by Rangers fans when he went to take a corner. Chelsea lost the first game 2-0 but I don't think anyone was too fussed about losing. It would be great if we played each other in a friendly but a Ewell CFC says with us playing overseas chances are slim. Would be a great atmosphere at the Bridge. I would get several requests for tickets from my Rangers supporting family and friends.

Was in the Main Stand sitting near Frank Lampard Snr for the 2011 game.

I really wanted to come down for the friendly game at The Bridge on Thursday, 16th May 1985.

However , I'd an exam at College that day and simply could not miss it !

Edited by erskblue

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Was in the Main Stand sitting near Frank Lampard Snr for the 2011 game.

I really wanted to come down for the friendly game at The Bridge on Thursday, 16th May 1985.

However , I'd an exam at College that day and simply could not miss it !

I was at the Bridge in 1985. If I remember correctly, the crowd was less than 10,000. Chelsea won 3-2. I wish I'd gone to the return game at Ibrox the following year. In November 1985 we played Liverpool at Anfield and drew 1-1. There was about a 1,000 Rangers fan at the game as there were no top flight games in Scotland that weekend. A great atmosphere.

35 minutes ago, Boyne said:

I was at the Bridge in 1985. If I remember correctly, the crowd was less than 10,000. Chelsea won 3-2. I wish I'd gone to the return game at Ibrox the following year. In November 1985 we played Liverpool at Anfield and drew 1-1. There was about a 1,000 Rangers fan at the game as there were no top flight games in Scotland that weekend. A great atmosphere.

Think that might have been because Scotland were away preparing to play Australia in the second leg of the Play Off match for the 1986 Mexico World Cup.

5 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Think that might have been because Scotland were away preparing to play Australia in the second leg of the Play Off match for the 1986 Mexico World Cup.

You're correct. The game between Liverpool and Chelsea was on 30 November. Scotland played in Australia on 4 December.

2 hours ago, Boyne said:

First time at Anfield for me. Not a lot of segregation in the Annie Road seats.

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

First time at Anfield for me. Not a lot of segregation in the Annie Road seats.

First time at Anfield for me as well. The game kicked-off at noon so an early train from London. I don't think the game was on TV so can't remember the reason for an early kick-off. The driver of the bus me and about 50 other fans were on got lost between Liverpool Lime Street Station and Anfield so we missed the first ten minutes or so of the game.