Sign in to follow this  
Osgoodwasgood

Our Full Backs

Im concerned with our Full Backs when we play 4-3-3.

Dave has been used to playing in a three at the back for the past 4 or 5 seasons, and whilst its still early days for him to readapt to a full back role, he's never been in my opinion a really attacking type of defender, which is what this formation really needs.

As for Alonso, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever as a Full Back. He's fine going forward but his defensive qualities are consistently exposed. He's more of a Left Midfielder than anything.

We've already seen this season (Arsenal) how easy we are to get behind, and im not sure what the Answer is. If you look at City and Liverpool in Comparison and what they have to offer in these areas, its very worrying.

2 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Dave has been used to playing in a three at the back for the past 4 or 5 seasons, and whilst its still early days for him to readapt to a full back role, he's never been in my opinion a really attacking type of defender, which is what this formation really needs.

As for Alonso, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever as a Full Back. He's fine going forward but his defensive qualities are consistently exposed. He's more of a Left Midfielder than anything.

We've already seen this season (Arsenal) how easy we are to get behind, and im not sure what the Answer is. If you look at City and Liverpool in Comparison and what they have to offer in these areas, its very worrying.

Be patient and wait to see how we are playing in a couple of months time as Sarri has on numerous times mentioned the defensive side of his ideas will take time to adapt too.

City and Liverpool have given there manager times to implement there styles which is why they look so cohesive.

I have the same concerns, but its early days and alonso has been great so far. Even yesterday Azpiliucueta could've scored if not for morata blocking his goal bound shot in the 1st half, and if he could've gotten an assist if morata's touch didn't fail him in the 2nd.

Kante vs Jorginho, Luiz vs Christiensen, and the arguments over full backs, will be the dominant topics on here for a few months, and the minute giroud scores, there will no doubt be a flood of morata vs giroud arguments. 

We are winning games, whilst making a massive change in team philosophy and tactics, let's see how we are looking after that Liverpool game at the end of October. 

Defending is not as important when you actually hold onto the ball, check Barca/City.

Getting the goals with so much possession is another thing, especially if you are persisting with an unproven striker at the top.

So i think it's fairer to worry about our strikers than our full backs.

8 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Dave has been used to playing in a three at the back for the past 4 or 5 seasons

We didn’t even use a back three at Chelsea for 2 seasons so where was Dave moonlighting for the other 2/3?

I think it’s Dave provides a good balance between attack and defence. Alonso provides a good attacking outlet but often gets hung out to dry defensively by his winger and the LCM who don’t give him much support. 

I concur with the previous posters, it’s early days and Sarri-Ball takes a “little” getting used to...it’s vastly different from the type of scheme that Conte employed when he was in charge. The fullbacks and every other player are literally changing the process and way of playing that they’ve been used to. I read a great article about this (will try to find the link)...Jorginho has been doing double duty at training, basically helping the rest of the team adapt to Sarri’s style of play. Give it some time, if there are fullback problems down the road, they’ll be addressed. 

Woeful again today, why don't they mark instead of giving the likes of sterling and De Bruyne acres of room. Alonso is one of the worst defenders ive seen, they seem obsessed with being close to the centre backs even though City only had Aguero in a central role. 

Technically not good enough to play this system. Azpi has been inconsistent this season. Alonso is poor almost every game. Zappacosta is a crap back up, and Emerson is maybe the only answer for the left side. We need new fullbacks. City's board supported Pep with new fullbacks. People laughed when City/Pep decided on spending £100m+ on new fullbacks, but guess what? IT BLOODY WORKED! 

Edited by enigma

Don't think we need to buy, Emerson should play ahead of Alonso. Emerson ok he isn't proven but we will ever know until we give him a run of games. Im tired of wasting money on fullbacks. Right back Azpi is still good enough,, we have Reece James who can play there and Ola Aina is doing terrific at Torino. Sell Zappacosta, never should off bought him in the first place.

I was watching Ben Chilwell against Spurs today as he won two headers from corners and thought ‘he’s a good full back and good in the air’. Would solve our Alonso is good for set pieces problem. 

I love Dave as much as the next Chelsea fan but he needs someone pushing him for his place and giving us a viable option for rotation. 

35 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Dave is the best of them, and at the mo he is poor. The rest shocking, like our whole team bar Kante.

I'm a huge fan of Kante, but today he was arguably our worst player IMO. I don't think he should escape criticism, even if the criticism I could aim most at him was that he was doing what the manager told him. We needed him in front of the defence, not forlornly chasing CBs and getting easily by-passed. 

In terms of this thread, the FBs were poor too, but again, they were completely exposed. Still, those who want Alonso dropped for Emerson are getting their wish. That sub was Sarri publicly dropping Alonso. There was no other reason for it.

I think we're reaching that point where there is going to be "palpable discord" again. 

On 27/08/2018 at 11:14, PedroMendez said:

Be patient and wait to see how we are playing in a couple of months time as Sarri has on numerous times mentioned the defensive side of his ideas will take time to adapt too.

City and Liverpool have given there manager times to implement there styles which is why they look so cohesive.

And they have changed their defenders to fit their style of play. Pep bombed off Zabaleta and Kolarov, Klopp likewise has moved on or dropped Clyne and Moreno.

Dave has looked decidely ordinary in Sarri's system and Alonso, well. Let's just say that the ex Sunderland and ex Bolton left back is displaying similar levels of ability now with us.

6 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I was watching Ben Chilwell against Spurs today as he won two headers from corners and thought ‘he’s a good full back and good in the air’. Would solve our Alonso is good for set pieces problem. 

I love Dave as much as the next Chelsea fan but he needs someone pushing him for his place and giving us a viable option for rotation. 

The thing is, we have Jay Da Silva and Reece James who are both very talented young players. If we actually gave the coach time and not put pressure on to win all the time, we could actually bring these prospects through. We don't need a Chilwell because we have technically proficient fullbacks on loan, from our own academy. They are constantly overlooked though.

City's board supported Pep with new fullbacks in Mendy, Danilo and Walker when, in the first season, Pep had Clichy, Sagna, Kolarov and Zabaleta. What did our board end up doing? They decided to give players like Alonso and Azpilicueta new contracts, so makes it harder to sell them now as Sarri is pressed into playing them both because he has no better options. It's infuriating and the thing is, fullbacks are so vital to this system but we never prepared. 

On 01/09/2018 at 18:43, big blue said:

I thought both full backs were great today.

Azpiliucueta was really good 1st half, and then Alonso was great second half, when we started attacking down the left more.

You joking, right? Azpilicueta could not handle Sterling whatsoever. I hate saying it, but Azpi isn't cut out for this system. It's fine, some players are suited to different systems, but Azpi isn't suited to this one. Neither is Alonso. We need fullbacks who can defend well, press efficiently, good technically, can overlap going forward. 

Edited by enigma

Also like to add the fact that Ola Aina who is homegrown is doing really well at Torino and they want to buy him. We bought Zappacosta from the same club for over £15M and Aina is much better than hm. That just sums our transfer business in the last few years.

4 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Also like to add the fact that Ola Aina who is homegrown is doing really well at Torino and they want to buy him. We bought Zappacosta from the same club for over £15M and Aina is much better than hm. That just sums our transfer business in the last few years.

Yeah looking back now, we could well have used Aina sparingly as a back up. Never mind.

Barkley is also sort of keeping RLC out, another player we’ve brought. God we’ve brought so much crap over the past few years.

27 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

It's infuriating. I just don't understand how at a top club, the board can make so many illogical moves season after season. 

7 hours ago, enigma said:

You joking, right? Azpilicueta could not handle Sterling whatsoever. I hate saying it, but Azpi isn't cut out for this system. It's fine, some players are suited to different systems, but Azpi isn't suited to this one. Neither is Alonso. We need fullbacks who can defend well, press efficiently, good technically, can overlap going forward. 

Maybe Look AT the date of the post. 

36 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

Maybe Look AT the date of the post. 

Oh shiieet! Apologies to big blue haha. Never even took notice of date, saw post under it and assumed it was posted post City eek. 

50 minutes ago, enigma said:

Oh shiieet! Apologies to big blue haha. Never even took notice of date, saw post under it and assumed it was posted post City eek. 

Haha yeah, those were good times. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, enigma said:

No worries mate. you had me questioning my own sanity for a second!