Chelsea V Liverpool (PL) Sat 29th Sep 17:30 UK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It will be interesting how they press us on Saturday and how we handle their press. We struggled against City in Community Shield but that was a month and a half ago so I don't expect them to struggle like that. But Liverpool's press is up there with City's. Should be another great game and hopefully another Chelsea victory.

Depending on Rudiger's health, I would imagine we have the usual suspects starting this one. If Rudi is still out then I would think AC would step in.

2 minutes ago, DaRick said:

Only a League Cup but still it's nice to get something over Liverpool, no matter how minor. 

Hopefully this will spur us on to performing at Stamford Bridge. On this evidence, Hazard stands between Liverpool and victory. 

I believe The Mighty Eden said it the best after the match. It was his first win at Anfield. Did he not play in the match in 2014 when Slippy G performed his greatest act?

Not much to say really - just hope everyone selected is fully fit and up for it and we beat the dippers again. There are few things that give me more pleasure.

Hazard will obviously be a marked man so also hope we have a strong ref and a red card or two would help the cause and possibly makes Klopps head explode.

COME ON THE CHELS!!!

I thought cahill did ok and I think he makes less mistakes and uses the ball better than Christenson. So if Rudiger is out, and he will be, then for me its definitely cahill in the back four. As a matter of fact I would question whether Ampadu might not do better than Christenson.

Also I think Dave has looked off the boil recently, despite his assist for Hazards goal during the week and I'd actually consider going with Zappa who has a lot of speed.

If Pedro is injured then its either willian or moses and sarri will go with willian. Willian needs to go outside his fullback more often but that just won't happen against robertson. Willian also needs to reduce his misplaced passes.

Morata or Giroud? Its a toss up for me. I like it better when Morata starts and Giroud comes off the bench. Neither scores very often that's for sure.

Barkely has been playing great this season adding a lot of good running in the midfield and if he doesn't start he will be a good sub. Fab another option from the bench if its the creative pass that's needed rather than the direct running.

Liverpool will improve their team more than we will compared to the cup match so it will be tough, but we do have home ground advantage. 

This will be a very tough game and I'd take a draw if offered right now. At the same time I'm looking forward to it and if we play our best we will be competitive a a minimum.

As teams work out our patterns through the centre we will have to move to using the wings more to open up the space.

17 minutes ago, ozboy said:

I thought cahill did ok and I think he makes less mistakes and uses the ball better than Christenson. So if Rudiger is out, and he will be, then for me its definitely cahill in the back four. As a matter of fact I would question whether Ampadu might not do better than Christenson.

Also I think Dave has looked off the boil recently, despite his assist for Hazards goal during the week and I'd actually consider going with Zappa who has a lot of speed.

If Pedro is injured then its either willian or moses and sarri will go with willian. Willian needs to go outside his fullback more often but that just won't happen against robertson. Willian also needs to reduce his misplaced passes.

Morata or Giroud? Its a toss up for me. I like it better when Morata starts and Giroud comes off the bench. Neither scores very often that's for sure.

Barkely has been playing great this season adding a lot of good running in the midfield and if he doesn't start he will be a good sub. Fab another option from the bench if its the creative pass that's needed rather than the direct running.

Liverpool will improve their team more than we will compared to the cup match so it will be tough, but we do have home ground advantage. 

This will be a very tough game and I'd take a draw if offered right now. At the same time I'm looking forward to it and if we play our best we will be competitive a a minimum.

As teams work out our patterns through the centre we will have to move to using the wings more to open up the space.

How we see things so differently!!

Cahill did well the other night but I do worry about him doing as well against Liverpools preferred front three which will play tomorrow. As for him using the ball better than Christensen all I can say is EH? Love Cahill and what he has done for us but he is one of the most uncomfortable defenders with the ball at his feet I can recall for Chelsea in recent seasons. Christensen makes errors but he is way better using the ball.

Dave was shocking the other night but he is usually Mr 7 out of 10. Would never dream of playing Zapper in a massive game like this one.

And to be saying Barkley has been playing great this season, I can only imagine your expectations of him were very low to begin with. He's been okay, but no more than that.

Like you though, not sure what we do about striker for this one - pretty much Hobson's choice.

Klopp has said in his press conference that Van Dijk hasn't trained since his rib injury, so might be ruled out which would be a boost for us. 

Rudiger will be a big miss for us if he's not fit. Christensen isn't playing well and if he was ill in midweek you've got to wonder if he's match fit. 

I worry about a general lack of pace in our back four if we start with Dave, Cahill, Luiz and Alonso... given we've been playing with a high line coming up against a forward three of Mane, Salah and Firminho would really put us to the test. One false move and a quick ball over the top and they could find themselves with a lot of space.  

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Klopp has said in his press conference that Van Dijk hasn't trained since his rib injury, so might be ruled out which would be a boost for us. 

Rudiger will be a big miss for us if he's not fit. Christensen isn't playing well and if he was ill in midweek you've got to wonder if he's match fit. 

I worry about a general lack of pace in our back four if we start with Dave, Cahill, Luiz and Alonso... given we've been playing with a high line coming up against a forward three of Mane, Salah and Firminho would really put us to the test. One false move and a quick ball over the top and they could find themselves with a lot of space.  

Agreed, lack of pace is a concern with that back four, but there is a lot of experience with those defenders, who will know about Liverpool and the way they play.

But overall I'd rather have Rudiger in that back line instead of Gazza, of course!

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

How we see things so differently!!

Cahill did well the other night but I do worry about him doing as well against Liverpools preferred front three which will play tomorrow. As for him using the ball better than Christensen all I can say is EH? Love Cahill and what he has done for us but he is one of the most uncomfortable defenders with the ball at his feet I can recall for Chelsea in recent seasons. Christensen makes errors but he is way better using the ball.

Dave was shocking the other night but he is usually Mr 7 out of 10. Would never dream of playing Zapper in a massive game like this one.

And to be saying Barkley has been playing great this season, I can only imagine your expectations of him were very low to begin with. He's been okay, but no more than that.

Like you though, not sure what we do about striker for this one - pretty much Hobson's choice.

I dont mean Cahill’s dribbling but his passing. He trys to find a penetrating pass in a way that Chrtensen doesn’t, at least that’s the way I see it. As for Barkley time will tell more I do see that Pat Nevin nearly had him mom v PAOK. 

I just cannot see our slow defence containing a fast,  full strength, Liverpool and I expect them to score at least 2 or 3. Regardless of the score, I just hope we go out and give it real go. No more days of us sitting back hoping for a lucky break and letting attacking teams trample all over us. Meet fire with fire and if we lose to the better side on the day then so be it.

11 minutes ago, Dixon said:

I just cannot see our slow defence containing a fast,  full strength, Liverpool and I expect them to score at least 2 or 3. 

Just like they did the other night, when the only times they looked like scoring were as a result of mistakes by our players.  They ended up at full strength and didn't score, so why would it be different at the Bridge?

13 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Just like they did the other night, when the only times they looked like scoring were as a result of mistakes by our players.  They ended up at full strength and didn't score, so why would it be different at the Bridge?

Oh come on! They hit the bar and Sturridge missed an open goal. Of course, every team had its off days but if they're on it on Saturday we will find it very difficult. They simply have far more pace, creativity and firepower. 

2 minutes ago, Dixon said:

Oh come on! They hit the bar and Sturridge missed an open goal. Of course, every team had its off days but if they're on it on Saturday we will find it very difficult. They simply have far more pace, creativity and firepower. 

Liverpool is a team that depends entirely on the mistakes by the opponents. their passing accuracy is one of the lowest, so is the possession, they can't create a lot because the focking Henderson and Milner are starters, so basically it's the same team of the last seasons + Van Djik. Stop giving them so much credit, damn it. they haven't earned it yet. 

15 minutes ago, Dixon said:

Sturridge missed an open goal after we let him in, not through any great skills on his part.   Again, other than by our mistakes, they didn't create anything.  You need to grow  a pair and stop fawning over the dippers.  The aren't all that.

5 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Sturridge missed an open goal after we let him in, not through any great skills on his part.   Again, other than by our mistakes, they didn't create anything.  You need to grow  a pair and stop fawning over the dippers.  The aren't all that.

I am being realistic! Even the Champions were to pieces by them last season. 

7 minutes ago, Dixon said:

I am being realistic! Even the Champions were to pieces by them last season. 

And last season they lost to West Brom.  Neither result tells you anything about this weekend's match, but Wednesday's result does.  It tells you that they aren't all-conquering football magicians