Now on a migrated server, any problems CLICK HERE

Kev56

Chelsea v Man utd (PL) Sat 20th Oct 12:30 UK

We battered them for much of the game, so it's telling when we all feel relieved at getting a point at home against a misfiring Man U side. Still a disappointing result for mine.

Having a look at the stats, we had 21 shots but a mere 6 on target. Man U on the other hand had a mere 7 shots but 4 of them were on target. Obviously then, they were far more clinical. 

I would therefore say that Jose mostly achieved his objectives. He came to play defensively, let Chelsea monopolise possession, then hit Chelsea on the counter. He got something out of the game and indeed he nearly succeeded in gaining all 3 points, only being thwarted at the last.

That is what can happen when:
1) you lack a consistent goal-scoring threat from your forwards (though Giroud contributes in other ways)
2) you neglect to start your best finishers against a side that was always going to play defensively and hit on the counter (Pedro vs Willian)
3) you start a striker who is really a super-sub rather than your best target man against a deep defence
4) your left back is not particularly great defensively
5) your ball-playing CB is prone to lapses of concentration
6) some of your key players are used heavily over the international break, whereas the opposition's players benefited from a bit more rest - that we were the first fixture of the weekend wouldn't have helped in this respect, either.

Nonetheless, we are still unbeaten in the league and additionally top of the league for now, so it's not all doom and gloom. However, we need to perform better against Burnley, otherwise we may well drop out of the CL places. 

12 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

I’m embarrassed by my club today. The taunting in front of Mourinho by that employee after our second goal, the fans chanting “f**k off Mourinho”, booing him at the end...so much lack of class. 

If you have heard what Jose himself said about Chelsea you would know that he was the first one that had no class at all. It should be a two way street, which Jose first broke out from so yes, F'k him!

Great to pinch a point at the end! So happy for Ross.

However, three key weaknesses we all knew of before the season nearly bit us on the bum today:

1. Luiz, who despite his header at the end, came charging out on a number of occasions and missed. Crucially for their second goal.

2. Morata, who becomes more Torresian everyday, was abysmal. Amazing how we started to play again when Giroud came on to actually hold the ball up the field. 

3. Lack of physicality in midfield. When Pogba turned up in the second half he cruised past Jorginho a few times and we were unable to get the ball back from Lukaku in similar areas. We need an option to address that.

That said of course we pinched a point and remain undefeated. Onwards with the blue flag flying high.

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The football club I’d imagine. 

That Chelsea staffer clearly attempted to goad a reaction from JM. 

My views on him have soured due to some of the things he’s said since he left but that was definitely on us.

I can understand the boy getting excited but it wasn’t the best thing to do.

I agree but you're assuming, I haven't seen any replays yet, for all we know he didn't say much and just stared at Mou, that's enough for Mourinho to get triggered we should all know that. 

Wait until the facts come out first, however, it does look likely one of our staff members said something to him. 

Didn’t deserve to lose that so big big kudos to Ross a player whose proving me wrong 

- their 1st goal Lukaku steps on Alonso’s foot Dean myopic as ever when it comes to a united goal. Marcus should of got up though to help out 

- 2nd United one was Luiz getting mugged by Mata

As for Marco , Sarris 2nd assistant coach ffs it’s football a last second equalizer, celebrations will ensue  Mourinho was just as out of order by his reaction imo, besides which we all love the drama 

respect to JM for a boat load of cups but that’s done, he got some stick today rightly so as he couldn’t keep his cool cus Ross grabbed a point for us  

carefree & still unbeaten ! 

1 minute ago, DaRick said:

We battered them for much of the game, so it's telling when we all feel relieved at getting a point at home against a misfiring Man U side. Still a disappointing result for mine.

Having a look at the stats, we had 21 shots but a mere 6 on target. Man U on the other hand had a mere 7 shots but 4 of them were on target. Obviously then, they were far more clinical. 

I would therefore say that Jose mostly achieved his objectives. He came to play defensively, let Chelsea monopolise possession, then hit Chelsea on the counter. He got something out of the game and indeed he nearly succeeded in gaining all 3 points, only being thwarted at the last.

That is what can happen when:
1) you lack a consistent goal-scoring threat from your forwards (though Giroud contributes in other ways)
2) you neglect to start your best finishers against a side that was always going to play defensively and hit on the counter (Pedro vs Willian)
3) you start a striker who is really a super-sub rather than your best target man against a deep defence
4) your left back is not particularly great defensively
5) your ball-playing CB is prone to lapses of concentration
6) some of your key players are used heavily over the international break, whereas the opposition's players benefited from a bit more rest - that we were the first fixture of the weekend wouldn't have helped in this respect, either.

Nonetheless, we are still unbeaten in the league and additionally top of the league for now, so it's not all doom and gloom. However, we need to perform better against Burnley, otherwise we may well drop out of the CL places. 

Excellent analysis. We're desperate for a decent striker...

1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

However, three key weaknesses we all knew of before the season nearly bit us on the bum today:

1. Luiz, who despite his header at the end, came charging out on a number of occasions and missed. Crucially for their second goal.

2. Morata, who becomes more Torresian everyday, was abysmal. Amazing how we started to play again when Giroud came on to actually hold the ball up the field. 

3. Lack of physicality in midfield. When Pogba turned up in the second half he cruised past Jorginho a few times and we were unable to get the ball back from Lukaku in similar areas. We need an option to address that.

That said of course we pinched a point and remain undefeated. Onwards with the blue flag flying high.

I very rarely ever agree with you, but you made some very good points here. 

We need to me more ruthless, they were atrocious in the first half and we need to be taking advantage of situations like that in the future where we may not get a lucky goal to bail us out if we fall behind. 

Two major disappointments for me to take from today; firstly, Alvaro Morata just simply isn't good enough to be starting for this club. It worries me just how poor he is at absolutely everything associated with being a centre forward. His finishing is abysmal, movement non-existent and seems to have no idea what position he needs to be in, and the less said about his laughable link-up play the better. He just does everything wrong and it's clear he's never going to be a success here, ship him out somewhere like Milan and try to forget this nightmare never occurred. 

And secondly, I love this club and am very proud to be a supporter, but it's hard to be proud on a day like this when you have such a disgraceful atmosphere. I am embarrassed by the fact 40,000 fans could not even muster a sound despite the fact we're second in the league, playing great football and up against one of our biggest domestic rivals. Maybe I just think differently than the fans who go regularly, but I could not fathom going to watch a game like this and not making a noise or trying to show your support. We have to be better, because sometimes we're pathetic 

3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Torresian is a great phrase, well played sir!

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I agree but you're assuming, I haven't seen any replays yet, for all we know he didn't say much and just stared at Mou, that's enough for Mourinho to get triggered we should all know that. 

Wait until the facts come out first, however, it does look likely one of our staff members said something to him. 

Sky Sports showed it twice. 

He gestured when he ran past him the first time and then again when we ran back past him. What are you watching the game on I assume not sky? But he 100% gestured at him, not once but twice. Jose either ignored or didn’t see the first one but he literally jumped in front of him the second time.

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Sky Sports showed it twice. 

He gestured when he ran past him the first time and then again when we ran back past him. What are you watching the game on I assume not sky? But he 100% gestured at him, not once but twice. Jose either ignored or didn’t see the first one but he literally jumped in front of him the second time.

I was watching it on a Sky stream but it was very clunky and I only saw one replay and it was very fast, I never saw anything said to him, but that person needs to get the sack. 

13 minutes ago, King Didier said:

Jose is still the face of Modern Chelsea! Don’t forget that

If there is a club that should understand Jose’s antics, it’s chelsea. We should know the best way to handle Jose is to ignore him completely. 

Edited by chiefBlueCFC

I thought we lost (closed the TV at 90+5) :). Quite a suprise to read here that se got a point.

I hope Sarri realises not to put Willian and Morata on the starting squad. And I really hope the board understands the need to buy a striker at almost what so ever price.

We started the game very well, the first half has been great for us. We had the control and lead was with us.

Second half we had too many players losing their positions, especially Alonso. Both of the goals came from his side, he had a poor game today.

Luiz has been excellent until his rush on that ball which led to a goal. 

What we have to take from his game is the way we played our last minutes, we didn't give up and showed strong character. When they scored their 2nd I was so disappointed but our boys didn't give up and reached that goal!

Let's hope for better days in future! COME ON CHELS!!!

Poor performance,even in the first half our passing lacked crispness, throughout not enough of a goal threat. Morata was very poor, Hazard looked fatigued as the game wore on and the subs up until the last minute had little effect. Luiz had a brainfart but special mention has to go to Alonso, personally I have a hatred of players who feign injury, to do so in the area whilst the ball is live is a cardinal sin. Let it be a lesson Marcus, your a defender you can't defend whilst lying down cheating. Ultimately the goal at the end feels like a win, we didn't play well but at least the feel good factor remains.

We should not have drew this game, I'm very happy that Ross saved us in the end, I've given him a lot of slack but he can score goals at least.

Still, Sarri's biggest error I've seen so far was the subs, why where they so late? It was critical that we needed Morata off that pitch from that disgusting first 45 minutes. How on earth did he stay on the pitch for 80 minutes!? Willian was also lacking and getting worse as the game went on, Pedro should've came on earlier. 

It reminded me so much of last season, no subs until the 70th and even then they weren't the correct ones. 

18 minutes ago, King Didier said:

Hopefully this game will teach lot to Sarri about who can’t do what, in this squad. 

He's not a magician tho! It wont make that much difference who he plays with this current squad! We're a good 6 first choice players short and a couple of seasons from being title contenders. Defence  - Alonso is better going forward than defending. Dave's legs are starting to go. Luiz is same old Luiz and has been very lucky his errors have not cost us half a dozen points already. Midfield knocks it around nicely in non danger zone and does feck all else. And then we get to our strikers...eeek!!!!!  Sarri is doing as well as anyone could with a team being carried by one player.

Things we still need to address:

- Defensive fraility/sloppiness - Luiz switches off at important times, and when our fullbacks bomb forward, it leaves us exposed to wide counter attacks.

- Goal scorer - Morata just isn't the answer. We need a 20 goal a season striker to ensure we finish top 4.

- Central midfield power - We have great options in Jorginho, Kante, Kovavic, Barkley, but I feel we need an Essien in there as an option, someone big and strong who won't be dominated. Pogba dominated them toward the end of that game and we need someone who can stand up to that sort of player.