Sign in to follow this  
ForeverCarefree

Didier Drogba - Happy Retirement To The King

Seen a lot of recent polls and such on twitter recently about the prem's best strikers, and it makes me mad how underrated Drogba is. 

All rival fans seem to do is look at stats and claim Drogba was terrible, but anyone who actually watched him play knows how much of a threat he was and what impact he had in a game, something you simply cant just put into numbers

39 minutes ago, PlayDaYouf said:

Seen a lot of recent polls and such on twitter recently about the prem's best strikers, and it makes me mad how underrated Drogba is. 

All rival fans seem to do is look at stats and claim Drogba was terrible, but anyone who actually watched him play knows how much of a threat he was and what impact he had in a game, something you simply cant just put into numbers

Cant agree more with you. Stats have ruined all the objectivity in football. Drogba was a big game player. 10 goals in 10 finals and 10 titles won at top flight level. Very few could boast about a better record. 

18 minutes ago, Londonisblue said:

Cant agree more with you. Stats have ruined all the objectivity in football. Drogba was a big game player. 10 goals in 10 finals and 10 titles won at top flight level. Very few could boast about a better record. 

Exactly my point, all people seem to do is look at stats to claim who is better. I think its mainly down to Messi and Ronaldo who post up crazy stats, so now thats all people tend to look at. but even delving into that, if you just look at Messi and Ronaldo play, anyone can see Messi is the much better player despite their stats being fairly similar. 

But getting back on topic, stats have ruined everything. Another classic chelsea example would be a player like Jorginho. Doesnt score many goals, doesnt assist much.. But anyone who watches football knows what a massive player he is and how much he contributes. 

In a big game on a big stage, there are very few players Id pick over him. Even the likes of Henry and Suarez, as brilliant as they were in the prem, where did they have a standout performance in a cup final or huge game? I certainly cant remember. Whereas Drogba performed better on the big stage and thats a pretty priceless asset

41 minutes ago, PlayDaYouf said:

Exactly my point, all people seem to do is look at stats to claim who is better. I think its mainly down to Messi and Ronaldo who post up crazy stats, so now thats all people tend to look at. but even delving into that, if you just look at Messi and Ronaldo play, anyone can see Messi is the much better player despite their stats being fairly similar. 

But getting back on topic, stats have ruined everything. Another classic chelsea example would be a player like Jorginho. Doesnt score many goals, doesnt assist much.. But anyone who watches football knows what a massive player he is and how much he contributes. 

In a big game on a big stage, there are very few players Id pick over him. Even the likes of Henry and Suarez, as brilliant as they were in the prem, where did they have a standout performance in a cup final or huge game? I certainly cant remember. Whereas Drogba performed better on the big stage and thats a pretty priceless asset

Absolutely. Tbf with ronaldo, he showed up on several big occasions too. Same for Messi of course. But totally agree on henry : he rarely showed up when there was adversity. Whereas drogba did marvellously well in those occasions. 

Suarez too. He was carried by messi (and still is) as far as big games are concerned. 

56 minutes ago, PlayDaYouf said:

The ironic thing with the media and oppo fans is when our players are on the right side of the numbers (ie Lampard Vs Gerrard and now Mount Vs Maddison) all of a sudden the goalposts change and it's more than about the goals.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

The ironic thing with the media and oppo fans is when our players are on the right side of the numbers (ie Lampard Vs Gerrard and now Mount Vs Maddison) all of a sudden the goalposts change and it's more than about the goals.

Its laughable really, whatever suits the opp's agenda

20 minutes ago, Londonisblue said:

Absolutely. Tbf with ronaldo, he showed up on several big occasions too. Same for Messi of course. But totally agree on henry : he rarely showed up when there was adversity. Whereas drogba did marvellously well in those occasions. 

Suarez too. He was carried by messi (and still is) as far as big games are concerned. 

Oh yeah no doubt Ronaldo has showed up on the big occassion, but I was more comparing their general game-to-game performances, at least in recent years anyway. Most of what Ronaldo does now is just sit in the box and score goals, but I feel Messi runs the game. But of course Ronaldo will score a goal and Messi might not, so the stats would favour Ron.

Exactly, everyone always seems to claim Henry as the greatest prem footballer ever, which im not saying he isnt. He is clearly a great player, but in the big games? He had nowhere near the impact of Drogba and thats just a fact.

If you were in a champions league final, Drogba is clearly the man you would pick.

1 hour ago, PlayDaYouf said:

This is why stats are important as well. If you don't see that Messi has been playing in 1 system his whole career where the team is built exactly for him he obviously will look like a much better player.
But when you notice that he prefers to have the ball in his feet all the time, (or otherwise he won't feel like playing) when you notice that he comes deep to get the ball so often it all affects the perception of how people will see him.
Because Ronaldo has adapted to multiple teams and has played equally well in multiple systems it doesn't look like he's that good as Messi even if his stats are similar but if you look a bit deeper you can see that Ronaldo has had a broader repertoire of football skills overall. So it all comes down to who do you prefer, more variation or more of the same.

I would pick Ronaldo over Messi, not because he knows how to play better than Messi but because he can give much more to a team overall and still put up the numbers, the same argument I can give about Drogba, having him on the pitch brings more than just good numbers, he was a great leader that could hold a team together through the toughest days.

3 hours ago, PlayDaYouf said:

Drogba was never the most clinical infront of the goal but he was easily one of the best strikers with his back to goal. 

He's one of those players that would've been world class in any setup or team, the amount of players that used to score around him due to his link up play was never ending. 

I don't think Drogba is the best striker, but he absolutely is one of the best players and is possibly the best all round striker due to how good he was all over the pitch, including defensively. Also, he was the ultimate big game player, just compare the goals he scored in finals to any player, it's phenomenonal. 

I do think he could have had a few more 20+ Premier League goal seasons, he did play a lot of games where he didn't look interested. But looking back, I wouldn't trade it for what he gave us. You don't get many big game players like Drogba. I don't think any player in the last 15 years outside of Messi and Ronaldo has been as good in the big games as Drogba has.

17 hours ago, Argo said:

"We've won it all",  and "The only London team to win the European cup" that soon shuts those bell ends up!!

Football is a competitive sport and winning is what counts, you get to a final and have to pick the team, you get to the centre forward position, it's a no brainer. The only other striker who could lead a line like Drogs was Shearer but he had no track record in finals, and don't get me started on Henry the ultimate bottle job in finals

Watched the SKY EPL 100 goals show on Drogba the other day. I have seen it a few times now and finally saved it to my SKY box.

The variety and quality of goals he scored is unmatched by ANY EPL striker ever IMO. Right foot, left foot, dribbled goals, towering headers, diving headers, tap-ins, stunning volleys, goals out of nothing. He was unbelievable in almost every aspect of forward play and also very unselfish in the amount of chances he passed up to provide assists for his team mates.

I remember the amazingly honest article Jamie Carragher wrote after he retired when he said that in his entire career there were two strikers who, when they were on their game, were totally unplayable. They were Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba.

Drogba. The greatest centre-forward we have ever had IMO.

Edited by just

18 hours ago, just said:

I remember the amazingly honest article Jamie Carragher wrote after he retired when he said that in his entire career there were two strikers who, when they were on their game, were totally unplayable. They were Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba.

The difference being Drogba was pretty much nailed on to score in finals and generally made a huge impact on big occasions, whereas Henry, despite his talent, would go missing on the biggest stage.

People can argue stats however they like, though the fact remains that Drogba is a once in a lifetime player.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:16, PlayDaYouf said:

Agreed. His presence on the pitch was great for us and he must have been a nightmare to play against.