coco

Tottenham V Chelsea (PL) Sat 24th Nov 17:30 UK

Finally i think its time for Christensen to partner Rudiger in defence. Lots more pace and a better tackler. In recent games the amount of wayward passes Luiz has played aswell.

15 minutes ago, Oli said:

Finally i think its time for Christensen to partner Rudiger in defence. Lots more pace and a better tackler. In recent games the amount of wayward passes Luiz has played aswell.

hes as good as gone.

they fked up, Jan exit i spect

I really can't understand why Sarri is persisting with Morata and Willian over Giroud and Pedro and it was the starting block towards what went wrong today, ignoring the difference the latter two bring to the attack they press intelligently allowing us to cut passing lanes and win the ball back high up, Morata can't be arsed to press and Willian while he tries doesn't have the positional sense Pedro does and ends up chasing like a dog running after a tennis ball (there's a reason Conte played anyone but him at WB whenever Moses was out). Until we get better options those Pedro and Olivier must be the starters alongside Hazard.

Trying hard not to overreact, but that was a fcuking disgrace...forget whether Sarri's formation/tactics are starting to be figured out, this was a shocking lack of fight and desire from everyone (barring Giroud?)...we all knew the unbeaten record was going to go sooner or later, but to lose it to them, playing like that? Unforgivable.

It is not looking good now as we have Europa on Thursday and our form has just dropped for the 2nd consecutive match.

Sarri does not have a clear week to work on the team now until at least Jan is out.

I agree we probably lack a motivational presence in the dressing room to fire up the players pre-match, really for Spurs we need a born and bred Londoner yet don't see any in the squad with this quality and the motivational presence.

I don't have a problem with Sarris subs today yet hope he has made up his mind on Morata. When your team is struggling you need your striker to be on form and that rarely seems to be the case. 

We have been hammered before by Spurs. 5-1 in the league cup in 2002 we can bounce back from this. 

Spurs seemed to now how to break us down as did Everton and a couple of times we've had to change formations with preceding managers midseason, last season Azpi's crosses to Morata were stopped, Fabregas was pushed to the bench. Now it is Sarri's turn to work out what needs to change.

Edited by Strider6003

It's always difficult to accept a defeat to the Spuds, but as a life-long supporter  (65 next September. And I started at the age of 10) and a  current season ticket holder, I find the attitude of certain players totally unacceptable. It seems they turn up when they can outplay the opposition but don't want to know when they're faced with any type of quality. They appear to be comfortable in thinking that, "They haven't got anyone better to replace me". And for this, I totally put the blame at the feet of the boardroom. For ex-amount of years, we have hired and fired some of the best managers in the game,  Ranieri, Mourinho (twice),  Avram Grant, Ancelotti,  Di Matteo, Conte. They all won titles including the Champions league but when they asked the board for backing to strengthen the squad they were all refused and given second rate players who quite frankly were not up to the required standard. Somehow the incoming manager got these players to surpass themselves and built yet another trophy-winning side against all expectations. But when they couldn't do it for a second successive year they were out!!  We now have a quality manager (again) with a second-rate squad, and he's expected to perform miracles with a squad who, in truth, has only about 4 world class players. It simply isn't good enough. We need to either, bring the kids though or spend some serious money. It has to be one or the other!!

There's no positive spin that I can place on this result.

Our performances have been steadily declining since the Burnley game and today we were physically bullied by a side that played with more cohesion and seemed to understand the significance of the rivalry more than we did. 

Frankly, that's a damning indictment. 

40 minutes ago, DaRick said:

There's no positive spin that I can place on this result.

Our performances have been steadily declining since the Burnley game and today we were physically bullied by a side that played with more cohesion and seemed to understand the significance of the rivalry more than we did. 

Frankly, that's a damning indictment. 

One word spine. ... Cech, Terry, lampard, drogba, or kepa, luiz, jorginiho, morata, good night!

Oh, one more point I want to make before trying to erase this game from my mind...the only thing as bad as chelsea today was that bent ref...the same one who let Burnley kick the sh*t out of us three years ago and let Barnes get away with a leg breaker on Matic before sending Matic off...

well he was back at it again at Wembley...how he failed to give a penalty just before they got the second is a mystery...perfect view of Foyth clattering into hazard and waves play on...what a w**ker...as sh*t as we were and we deserved to lose, score from the spot then and it surely would have changed the whole psychology of the game for both sides.

Everything could have gone wrong have gone wrong, in a way I'm glad we got this game out of the way, rather lose 1 game if it lifts the players to work harder. We are a team in progress, and this game showed. First time we played against an aggressive pressing team we had no answer, passes went stray, players afraid of holding on the ball and defenders not sure whether to drop off or press when without the ball. Again, questions are raised about the ability of Luiz/Alonso as defenders. First goal was avoidable, needed a good save and Kepa wasn't up to it. Second goal was cheap, it wasn't even a power shot, Luiz might have got in the eye lines of Kepa, but he had time to recover but couldn't even move. Third goal, Jorginho didn't want take a card for the team, unless he's already on a card, that's pretty ordinary and unprofessional.  It's always going to be a close game, 2:0 in 19 minutes and that's a long way back. The challenge for Sarri now will be if he's persist Jorginho in that position, with Alonso tend to go high up, the deepest midfielder needs to be able to cover ground and win some duels, and Jorginho doesn't look like that guy, and that's not just from this game. The midfield lacks bite, I reckon Barkley or RLC should come in next game, just something different.

Sarri wants to play the high press and possession football but hasn't got the personnel to do it. And I'm pleased to see that he is acutely aware of this, judging by his post match comments. Yes, we've got enough to beat mediocre outfits in the League but, if the club is serious about challenging the top teams, we've got to have pace and more pace throughout the team. City, Liverpool and Tottenham have it in abundance. We can't afford the luxury of having sloths like Alonso, Luiz (not only slow but indisciplined), Azpilicueta and Jorginho who are all a waste of space when caught out of position. Rudiger has been immense all season but he played like he'd been on the tiles the night before, while I'm convinced that Kovacic wasn't 100 % fit because his acceleration and quick passing was missing.

I usually go with personal assessments but this time that's not the appropriate method I believe.

First of all, the pitch was in terrible condition. there were like one month since Guardiola complained about this and the mothafakrs seemed very content with it. Some situations the spuds players had knowledge where the ball was going while ours was still shocked with the lack of sense. the ball movement didn't make any sense yesterday so I'll give them another match or two untill start worrying about our offense. Shockingly bad passing, but even the great Man City side struggled here, so let's give them a pass. 

Defensively we suck, that's not a secret. We still don't have a player capable of going toe to toe with confidence against opponents, except for Azpilicueta. Jorginho is lacking pace, Kovacic is literally in no man's land, Kante was good, but sadly, he is next to Azpilicueta, who is fine in this kind of situations...  

Willian and Hazard are getting a pass not to press with the rest of the team and this is a mistake that Sarri should not allow. Let someone remind these 2 that even the stars in Barcelona and Man City - Sane, Sterling, Silva, De Brewin and Messi, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi in the past - they kicked their butts to press high and immediately when they lose the ball. Hazard and Willian are not special and greater than them not to do it. they simply aren't. We can't afford to exclude our two wings from pressing especially with our struggles defensively. 

Morata and Giroud have been playing well recently, so they are not the problem now. 

Fabregas should go in. Jorginho can't deliver long passes and behind the backs. Or they should at least share 45 minutes each..

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

Oh, one more point I want to make before trying to erase this game from my mind...the only thing as bad as chelsea today was that bent ref...the same one who let Burnley kick the sh*t out of us three years ago and let Barnes get away with a leg breaker on Matic before sending Matic off...
well he was back at it again at Wembley...how he failed to give a penalty just before they got the second is a mystery...perfect view of Foyth clattering into hazard and waves play on...what a w**ker...as sh*t as we were and we deserved to lose, score from the spot then and it surely would have changed the whole psychology of the game for both sides.

Remember him sending off Willian at Villa Park when the Villa player dived. He is a poor ref.

Everything could have gone wrong have gone wrong, in a way I'm glad we got this game out of the way, rather lose 1 game if it lifts the players to work harder. We are a team in progress, and this game showed. First time we played against an aggressive pressing team we had no answer, passes went stray, players afraid of holding on the ball and defenders not sure whether to drop off or press when without the ball. Again, questions are raised about the ability of Luiz/Alonso as defenders. First goal was avoidable, needed a good save and Kepa wasn't up to it. Second goal was cheap, it wasn't even a power shot, Luiz might have got in the eye lines of Kepa, but he had time to recover but couldn't even move. Third goal, Jorginho didn't want take a card for the team, unless he's already on a card, that's pretty ordinary and unprofessional.  It's always going to be a close game, 2:0 in 19 minutes and that's a long way back. The challenge for Sarri now will be if he's persist Jorginho in that position, with Alonso tend to go high up, the deepest midfielder needs to be able to cover ground and win some duels, and Jorginho doesn't look like that guy, and that's not just from this game. The midfield lacks bite, I reckon Barkley or RLC should come in next game, just something different.

Not sure I agree with ‘first team faced against an aggressive press’. We coped well against Liverpool.

Here's football365's 16 conclusions:

https://www.football365.com/news/16-conclusions-tottenham-3-1-chelsea

They agree Hazard should have had a penalty yet make the point that on another play Hazard received the ball from a free kick and yet no-one moved to support him!

Two matches now we start as though we are not focussed, for me this is a dressing room problem and appears to be one of motivation...…………..

A bit of a shambles. Jorghinho has now had two stinkers in a row, Rudiger, normally a rock, looked like the proverbial rabbit in the spotlight, Kante was our best player and despite the offsides (one wasn't I thought) Morata wasn't bad. One can only hope that this is the kick up the arse that the team needs.

10 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

It is not looking good now as we have Europa on Thursday and our form has just dropped for the 2nd consecutive match.

Sarri does not have a clear week to work on the team now until at least Jan is out.

I agree we probably lack a motivational presence in the dressing room to fire up the players pre-match, really for Spurs we need a born and bred Londoner yet don't see any in the squad with this quality and the motivational presence.

I don't have a problem with Sarris subs today yet hope he has made up his mind on Morata. When your team is struggling you need your striker to be on form and that rarely seems to be the case. 

We have been hammered before by Spurs. 5-1 in the league cup in 2002 we can bounce back from this. 

Spurs seemed to now how to break us down as did Everton and a couple of times we've had to change formations with preceding managers midseason, last season Azpi's crosses to Morata were stopped, Fabregas was pushed to the bench. Now it is Sarri's turn to work out what needs to change.

bB

The thing is is not just the second consecutive match - as I've said before, the performances against Palace and Bate were poor too, although in each we scraped a win.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Here's football365's 16 conclusions:

https://www.football365.com/news/16-conclusions-tottenham-3-1-chelsea

They agree Hazard should have had a penalty yet make the point that on another play Hazard received the ball from a free kick and yet no-one moved to support him!

Two matches now we start as though we are not focussed, for me this is a dressing room problem and appears to be one of motivation...…………..

It feels as if our guys finished last season thinking "we're better than that, we've a point to prove" Sarri's arrival let us play more in the style the players want but the success so far maybe has created space for complacency. I agree, attitude and motivation is critical.