Two Transfer Window Ban?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

As others have mentioned, it's not as bad as we first think.  When you first read the headline you think it's a complete catastrophe and the entire club is going to be playing in League 1 in a couple of years but there's every chance that we could get it reduced and that would most likely be a January window anyway.  There's also the fact that we aren't going to be short of squad depth with all the younger players we have, and honestly some of them wouldn't have done a worse job than some of our players this year anyway.

It's annoying, for sure, but it won't break us. 

Barcelona and Atletico's transfer bans were upheld by CAS for those who doesn't know that.
Real Madrid's appeal was successfull and their ban was only for one window in the end but they had 3 cases of rules being breached. We have 29 so the number of cases is very, very high so it would surprise me if we got it down to one window.

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

The ban basically means we’re not allowed to register new players, we can sell players and we can buy players but we won’t be able to register them to play until after the ban expires. 

What about new contracts?

Last time we got a transfer ban and everyone got all giddy........we won the double :JC_doubleup:

We can buy players, we can sell players. We can give new contracts, we can cancel contracts. What we cant do is register any players.

33 minutes ago, dkw said:

Last time we got a transfer ban and everyone got all giddy........we won the double :JC_doubleup:

We got that one overturned didn't we?

The decision now is, if Sarri stays, he will still need players for his system. If he does go, then the next manager will still need new players. It depends on our ambitions for the next two, three, four etc seasons. Sarri has coached mid table/relegation battling clubs before and done well with them, so it's up to us. 

We will appeal the ban, but I don't think it will be overturned. Having said that the appeal will probably delay the start of the ban and allow us to sign players for 1 or 2 more windows. That is basically what Barca did when they received a similar ban.

So I'm guessing this means we won't be signing/allowed to buy Higuin? So his loan will end at the end of the season? So that leaves us with Giroud and Abraham as strikers for next season, either that or we recall Morata, or play a false 9 like we seem to like!

26 minutes ago, forbzy said:

We will appeal the ban, but I don't think it will be overturned. Having said that the appeal will probably delay the start of the ban and allow us to sign players for 1 or 2 more windows. That is basically what Barca did when they received a similar ban.

That's definitely what will happen. It may be reduced too.

People need to relax. This will have almost zero impact on the team. This chat about "oh now we can use our academy" is nonsense. 

We will be able to buy players this summer. We probably won't be able to buy players next winter. We may be able to buy players the summer after, but definitely will be able to buy them and loan them out for 3 months until January 1st. Its nothing. 

Assuming an appeal will push the ban back, we’re facing a massively important window this summer.

i just hope we don’t end up offering contract renewals to Pedro, Luiz, Giroud etc. 

They’ve offered alot to this club. I just think it’s time we moved on and I hope the transfer ban doesnt cloud our judgement when it comes to refreshing our squad

Just now, bisright1 said:

That's definitely what will happen. It may be reduced too.

People need to relax. This will have almost zero impact on the team. This chat about "oh now we can use our academy" is nonsense. 

We will be able to buy players this summer. We probably won't be able to buy players next winter. We may be able to buy players the summer after, but definitely will be able to buy them and loan them out for 3 months until January 1st. Its nothing. 

Is there any risk that we could get a longer ban after appeal? Either way it is highly unlikely that there will be any ban in place this summer so the club can always stock up then as needed. I would think the biggest concern is that we have a number of players coming to the end of their contracts who may need replacing in the next year or so (Willian, Pedro, Luiz, Hazard, CHO). I am hoping the last 2 in that list will choose to stay obviously :), On the positive side this may force us to finally play more of the youth.

21 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Is there any risk that we could get a longer ban after appeal? Either way it is highly unlikely that there will be any ban in place this summer so the club can always stock up then as needed. I would think the biggest concern is that we have a number of players coming to the end of their contracts who may need replacing in the next year or so (Willian, Pedro, Luiz, Hazard, CHO). I am hoping the last 2 in that list will choose to stay obviously :), On the positive side this may force us to finally play more of the youth.

It won't get extended. The reality is it will likely be one window, and we will just manage our signings around that. 

You reap what you sow. We have been messing about with the young players for far too long, maybe some will actually get a game now. We have ludicrous amounts of players out on loan with little to no intention to ever play any of them in the first team. 

I understand that it generated money to buy players, but it was all stupidly farcical at a point, especially since so many were winning trophies, yet very few rarely got promoted. 

When it rains it pours with Chelsea at the moment.

Incredibly stupid to break the rules, hopefully we win our appeal but I can't see it. If we can get it delayed for the summer window, then we have an incredibly important summer transfer window coming up. We need to get it right, but I don't really have faith in the board in all honesty.

It's time to sell some of the players on loan and recall the ones that have a chance of a future here. We will need to raise the funds to buy new players quickly.

Seems like we ran afoul of the rules under Emenalo’s watch?

I wonder if this has anything to do with our reluctance to hire a new DOF? Not saying it’s the correct logic, but it might be a reason why we havent replaced him yet?

Or maybe no DOF wants the job until we have the transfer ban sorted out?

Edited by dustbin719

1 minute ago, dustbin719 said:

Seems like we ran afoul of the rules under Emenalo’s watch?

I wonder if this has anything to do with our reticence to hire a DOF? Not saying it’s the correct logic, but it might be a reason why we havent replaced him yet?

If anything it is another reason why we got rid of Emenalo. However we do still need another Director of Football.

1 hour ago, tmarmsi said:

So I'm guessing this means we won't be signing/allowed to buy Higuin? So his loan will end at the end of the season? So that leaves us with Giroud and Abraham as strikers for next season, either that or we recall Morata, or play a false 9 like we seem to like!

We have an option to extent Higuain's loan, from what i am reading that means we can do that regardless.

But it's a moot point as we will appeal and delay the ban through the summer, may mean we end up signing Higs on a two year deal just incase we lose the appeal though.