Two Transfer Window Ban?

On 11/03/2019 at 17:30, Fatty_Speeding said:

TBF it was an absolute joke that the Spanish clubs were able to postpone their bans in the first place, effectively getting around all the negative effects of what was supposed to be an unexpected ban.

But I agree said joke has to be extended equally to us too.

Barcelona's ban happened before Atletico's and Real's. To my knowledge both Atletico and Barcelona appealed but were unsuccesful and bans were not postponed. Atletico had their fine reduced somewhat but that was the most they got out of their appeal.

Real Madrid, who had initially been slapped with the same ban as Atletico and Barcelona, were the only ones who benefited (as usual) from their appeal. FIFA determined only two of the cases under investigation of RM where serious and based on that they lifted the ban on one transfer window. It seems they considered AM and BCN had more serious offences to their name and therefore did not lift any ban which was always open to debate and fueled yet again the idea of double standards. RM (as Atletico) had already served the winter ban while the appeal was taking place so in effect they were able to operate normally for the following, and more important, summer transfer window. 

Good luck on appeal, but tbh I wouldn't expect much unless you are RM, PSG...

7 hours ago, Nyte_Lotus said:

Barcelona's ban happened before Atletico's and Real's. To my knowledge both Atletico and Barcelona appealed but were unsuccesful and bans were not postponed. Atletico had their fine reduced somewhat but that was the most they got out of their appeal.

Real Madrid, who had initially been slapped with the same ban as Atletico and Barcelona, were the only ones who benefited (as usual) from their appeal. FIFA determined only two of the cases under investigation of RM where serious and based on that they lifted the ban on one transfer window. It seems they considered AM and BCN had more serious offences to their name and therefore did not lift any ban which was always open to debate and fueled yet again the idea of double standards. RM (as Atletico) had already served the winter ban while the appeal was taking place so in effect they were able to operate normally for the following, and more important, summer transfer window. 

Good luck on appeal, but tbh I wouldn't expect much unless you are RM, PSG...

I think you're confusing the requests to simply to have the bans postponed while their appeals were processed by FIFA with the appeals themselves to have the bans removed.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid were all able to sign players the summer window directly after FIFA had issued them their bans, as despite being supposed to be banned for that window the punishments were postponed for the duration of their appeals.

Yes, you are correct. As you say I didn't grasp your meaning in the post I was replying to. Sorry about that! It was the actual lifting of the bans which I was talking about, which only RM were granted partially. 

If I recall correctly AM and RM bans were notified early 2016 and they were able to have them delayed with them coming into effect for the two 2017 transfer windows. Their appeals were being resolved while the winter 16-17 transfer ban took place.

If this precedent is taken into account then it's quite possible Chelsea would be able to delay theirs too while appeals are resolved, but I still think it is highly unlikely they would be lifted.

16 hours ago, Nyte_Lotus said:

Yes, you are correct. As you say I didn't grasp your meaning in the post I was replying to. Sorry about that! It was the actual lifting of the bans which I was talking about, which only RM were granted partially. 

If I recall correctly AM and RM bans were notified early 2016 and they were able to have them delayed with them coming into effect for the two 2017 transfer windows. Their appeals were being resolved while the winter 16-17 transfer ban took place.

If this precedent is taken into account then it's quite possible Chelsea would be able to delay theirs too while appeals are resolved, but I still think it is highly unlikely they would be lifted.

No worries, that's what all Chelsea fans are complaining about though... FIFA accepted the requests from Atletico, Real and Barcelona to postpone the bans while their appeals were processed, whereas they rejected Chelsea's.

The best chance we have of making any signings in the summer is if FIFA respond to our appeal by the end of June. That way if they reject it as expected, we would still potentially have time to go to CAS for an appeal. We can potentially have the punishment postponed while CAS hear our appeal, but we have to get to that point first. Problem is FIFA aren't obliged to look at our appeal quickly and no doubt they will drag their heels.

Yeah we need to get this sorted sharpish. Other clubs will be getting their deals in place while we're merely speculating until we know how the land lies. I saw Barca are supposedly preparing a 50mill bid for Jovic and he's someone we would really do with going for. 

7 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

Yeah we need to get this sorted sharpish. Other clubs will be getting their deals in place while we're merely speculating until we know how the land lies. I saw Barca are supposedly preparing a 50mill bid for Jovic and he's someone we would really do with going for. 

Love the idea of us buying Jovic, but this summer is going to be the time to get him, so it's not looking promising.

Rumors that Man City have a deal in place for Saul Niguez, too

48 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Love the idea of us buying Jovic, but this summer is going to be the time to get him, so it's not looking promising.

Rumors that Man City have a deal in place for Saul Niguez, too

I actually read an interesting take on a Jovic transfer.  The speculation was that we would have an advantage over others in that we could buy him now, but as we couldn't register him until the bans were over, we would loan him back so where he could still play for Benfica or Eintracht or elsewhere.  The point being that because of that, a Chelsea bid might seem more attractive to Eintracht.  The article also said that Jovic "liked" Chelsea.

Not 100% sure we could do that under a ban though.  Far fetched stuff to be sure.  

Edited by Boston Blue
30 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I actually read an interesting take on a Jovic transfer.  The speculation was that we would have an advantage over others in that we could buy him now, but as we couldn't register him until the bans were over, we would loan him back so where he could still play for Benfica or Eintracht or elsewhere.  The point being that because of that, a Chelsea bid might seem more attractive to Eintracht.  The article also said that Jovic "liked" Chelsea.

Not 100% sure we could do that under a ban though.  Far fetched stuff to be sure.  

Does Eintracht have a buy option or something?  I'm under the impression that he is heading back to Benfica after his loan spell is done, so any transfer business to be completed would go through them.

3 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Does Eintracht have a buy option or something?  I'm under the impression that he is heading back to Benfica after his loan spell is done, so any transfer business to be completed would go through them.

Not sure what the particulars are so I mentioned both.  

1 hour ago, mwblue10 said:

Frankfurt have an option to buy for about £12m for Jovic. 

16 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

Yeah we can't do that. 

Isn't it odd that Benfica have no say in his transfer? All the talk is of Frankfurt making loads of money selling him on yet he is still only there on loan. 

Once the buy clause is inserted can Benfica not just keep him at the end of the season and sell him on for a big fee themselves?

12 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Hypothetically the ban gets appealed and we are able to sign players, would you trust Sarri to sign the right players?

Don't think he has any say after he provides a list of players he may want.  The board is going to buy the players they want to buy.

18 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Hypothetically the ban gets appealed and we are able to sign players, would you trust Sarri to sign the right players?

He said he doesn't like to be involved in transfers so I'd hope the board hire a director of football that can buy players that meet his system. However, he did mention recently that he has already been discussing the players he wants next season with the board so I don't know what to expect

20 hours ago, big blue said:

Frankfurt have an option to buy for about £12m for Jovic. 

So if that's true and Frankfurt use that option, Jovic wouldn't be able to leave this summer, no? I remember something about how a player's registration can't be changed more than once a season or something. 

Edited by abramovich
10 minutes ago, abramovich said:

So if that's true and Frankfurt use that option, Jovic wouldn't be able to leave this summer, no? I remember something about how a player's registration can't be changed more than once a season or something. 

Perhaps he is already registered as a Frankfurt player due to the loan and thus it wouldn't count twice?  Just a thought, I'm not too well versed in how that works.

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

Yes. You can sign a pre agreement but I imagine there are rules against us doing that to such an extent. 

No, we can buy any player we want but we can't register them to play for us, unless that's changed since barcelonas ban. 

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

The rule is that you can only represent 2 clubs in 1 year, so Frankfurt could buy him and sell him in the same window.