Jump to content

Two Transfer Window Ban?


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Swan said:

There is so much pessimism on here it’s unhealthy. You would not believe that we are actually third in the league, reached one cup final and might reach another. A sense of perspective is needed, or people might view elements of our support as glory hunters.

Are things really that bad?

Yes, we are not where we were a few years back. But let’s keep an open mind. All things considered Sarri has had a successful first season and no doubt will have learnt a lot about the PL.

Surely it can’t be all doom and gloom? People saying, we are a laughing stock and we are f***ed. I just don’t buy it.

But let’s say people are right and we are really are doomed. A silver lining will be the tourists will stop coming and we will get our atmosphere back at the Bridge. But in all seriousness, we are not doomed. Chelsea are in my blood and I want them to win but sometimes people need to lighten up.

I think we are far from doomed. But I would certainly feel a lot more confident if we had a Director of Football managing our transfer activity, instead of the board members.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarri says in presser he only wants 1 or 2 players.  I think he is telling porkies.

 

Or, he doesnt realise the club will buy whoever they want, manager gets little say a lot of the time

 

I would have imagined another CB likely, LB, striker, winger alongside Pulisic

Edited by RickUK
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Could he have been referring to the case going to CAS?

I think we all should have expected FIFA to reject the appeal.  In fact, I think it is great news that they did solely based on the fact that we have a decision rendered from them and can now move to the next step.  The worry was never that they would reject the appeal, it was that they would take a massively long time and hinder us from going to CAS in time to get the ban frozen by them.

No, he specifically said he was hearing that the ban would be delayed by one window allowing us to buy players this summer.  He never mentioned CAS...….

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I think we are far from doomed. But I would certainly feel a lot more confident if we had a Director of Football managing our transfer activity, instead of the board members.

Exactly.  I think we're all looking for the club tp have some sort of direction and plan that differs from the "we'll-buy-whatever-player-we-want-regardless-of-manager" philosophy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Maybe only a couple of signings because he could make use of: James, Tomori, Mount, Abraham, Zouma and maybe some other youth?

That would be great, and would depend on some existing players being sold.  But do we believe that Sarri is going to work with a squad that includes all these young players?  CHO, RLC, James, Tomori, Mount, Abraham, Zouma?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

That would be great, and would depend on some existing players being sold.  But do we believe that Sarri is going to work with a squad that includes all these young players?  CHO, RLC, James, Tomori, Mount, Abraham, Zouma?  

And Ampadu. I would hope so. RLC and CHO have proved successful. Liverpool have built well on the likes of TAA and Gomez

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

And does anyone have faith that, still no director of football, still the same transfer makers of the past few seasons, that we dont just end up with more Drinkwaters, Bakas, Zappacostas etc etc?

The past few years definitely don't instill a feeling of positivity. However, if it is true that Sarri feels he only needs one or two players, maybe the club will listen and be aggressive in going after the absolute best available players in those positions. That being striker and LB... and winger.... and probably a midfielder... and probably another winger... But with Pulisic coming in, there is a winger. Reece James will be recalled and he should be cover for Azpi and hopefully he will be playing a good amount by Boxing Day. Mount should be able to rotate into the midfield and help with cover (Although if they are only going to play him in 8 matches all season, hopefully Derby will be promoted and we can send him back so he can actually play every possible moment). So to me that leaves striker and LB. Bats is coming back from loan but I don't see him fitting in with this team, although I think he deserves a shot to at least be the backup striker. LB, Alonso isn't good enough and I think Emerson is good, but isn't quite technical enough to be our main starter at LB. I think Emerson should be the backup. Now, I don't know who the hell is available at LB or good enough for us to actually go after and acquire so maybe we stick it out with Emerson another year and give one of the younger fellas a shot? But they need to go hard after a striker they see that can fit in this system. If it's Jovic, then they need to go hard after him and need to beat out the likes of Bayern, Real etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

The past few years definitely don't instill a feeling of positivity. However, if it is true that Sarri feels he only needs one or two players, maybe the club will listen and be aggressive in going after the absolute best available players in those positions. That being striker and LB... and winger.... and probably a midfielder... and probably another winger... But with Pulisic coming in, there is a winger. Reece James will be recalled and he should be cover for Azpi and hopefully he will be playing a good amount by Boxing Day. Mount should be able to rotate into the midfield and help with cover (Although if they are only going to play him in 8 matches all season, hopefully Derby will be promoted and we can send him back so he can actually play every possible moment). So to me that leaves striker and LB. Bats is coming back from loan but I don't see him fitting in with this team, although I think he deserves a shot to at least be the backup striker. LB, Alonso isn't good enough and I think Emerson is good, but isn't quite technical enough to be our main starter at LB. I think Emerson should be the backup. Now, I don't know who the hell is available at LB or good enough for us to actually go after and acquire so maybe we stick it out with Emerson another year and give one of the younger fellas a shot? But they need to go hard after a striker they see that can fit in this system. If it's Jovic, then they need to go hard after him and need to beat out the likes of Bayern, Real etc.

I'm with you on this. Like Sarri, I also think we only need a couple of signings to challenge on all fronts, but those 2 signings need to be top drawer. Let's spend £150 million on 2 players who will actually improve the starting 11 rather than 5 squad players for 150 mil like we've done previously. Our squad depth should now be made up of our talented academy players and they should all get meaningful game time. 

We need to be targeting a top striker and centre-half in my opinion. I do agree with you on the left back situation, but I don't think we'll invest heavily in that position as we only brought Emerson in a year or so ago. If Hazard leaves we will also need to invest heavily on a replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

Like Sarri, I also think we only need a couple of signings to challenge on all fronts, but those 2 signings need to be top drawer.

I think Sarri said this, "I think that we have to buy only one, two players, otherwise it's very difficult to improve immediately," So I don't think that he's saying we only need one or two players to be challenging on all front - and after watching this season, surely nobody thinks were maybe just one player short of challenging on all fronts. I think he's saying that to see any immediate improvement he needs one or to players. That's just a starter on the path to challenging on all fronts.

If Hazard leaves, which one or two players can we sign that will counter that loss and allow us to bridge a 25 point gap on Liverpool and City?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get the ban we won't close the gap too much. Down to 18-20 points maybe. We need a striker and players in the attack that can keep the ball rolling fast. Only way we can muster chances in games. If we can't sign a new striker we need a miracle. Maybe even fit Pedro there. Tammy looks to be a season away from our lineup. At least. 

I like to think Callum and Ruben are our stars next term but they need backing up as well. I don't expect much from Pulisic. I still think he is more of a marketing tool than Hazard-replacement. Hope I'm wrong. I'm wrong all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I think Sarri said this, "I think that we have to buy only one, two players, otherwise it's very difficult to improve immediately," So I don't think that he's saying we only need one or two players to be challenging on all front - and after watching this season, surely nobody thinks were maybe just one player short of challenging on all fronts. I think he's saying that to see any immediate improvement he needs one or to players. That's just a starter on the path to challenging on all fronts.

If Hazard leaves, which one or two players can we sign that will counter that loss and allow us to bridge a 25 point gap on Liverpool and City?

Liverpool signed 2 players which improved them from a 75 point season to a 95pt+ season. Van dijk and Alisson. 

I do honestly believe 2 top drawer players would have us challenging. That would be along with keeping Hazard who is still a Chelsea player as far as I'm aware.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulisic has pace and dribbling ability of a top player but he gets criticised for a lack of end product which I think can be improved upon. Sarri's style of play requires technical players so hopefully he performs well here. 

Top striker and left back imo are a must. Maybe a centre back in Zouma too will be helpful.

Edited by zes
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DannyVblue said:

If Hazard leaves we will also need to invest heavily on a replacement.

 

We will not be able to replace Hazard with a like for like player. We have the emergence of CHO and the arrival of Pulisic, we are fine on the wings. There are other areas that require attention, such as CF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have two take a deep breath and calm the f**k down, I expect a decision from CAS pretty quickly, as the window reopens in two weeks, by that time we will know Hazards destination, a fee agreed, what that entails, then the clusterf**kery of who we may buy can begin..

Just got through the Scouse love in on TS ffs, now the prospect of Totteringham getting through?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I think we have two take a deep breath and calm the f**k down, I expect a decision from CAS pretty quickly, as the window reopens in two weeks, by that time we will know Hazards destination, a fee agreed, what that entails, then the clusterf**kery of who we may buy can begin..

Just got through the Scouse love in on TS ffs, now the prospect of Totteringham getting through?

The Hazard situation may not sort itself out quickly.  We will stick to our value of him.  Real will low ball us thinking we'll settle for a lot less or risk losing him for nothing after next season.  We will be thinking that Real will pay because they are under pressure to rebuild.  Real will be thinking that we want cash to buy replacements.  So it could be a standoff where both parties are waiting for the other party to cave first.

Edited by Boston Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

The Hazard situation may not sort itself out quickly.  We will stick to our value of him.  Real will low ball us thinking we'll settle for a lot less or risk losing him for nothing after next season.  We will be thinking that Real will pay because they are under pressure to rebuild.  Real will be thinking that we want cash to buy replacements.  So it could be a standoff where both parties are waiting for the other party to cave first.

Wouldn't bode well for our transfer window closing first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!