Two Transfer Window Ban?

8 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

That's working under the assumption that we are able to even get the right signings.  Like mentioned, we may feel we are far behind other clubs in acquiring the top talent this summer, and so we might be inclined to bite the bullet.

Then you could face an Arsenal/Liverpool scenario of being left behind for the best part of a decade.

12 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Then you could face an Arsenal/Liverpool scenario of being left behind for the best part of a decade.

It's entirely possible.  Though even after a summer of Morata/Drinkwater/Zappacosta/Bakayoko/Rudiger, we weren't completely left behind (yes we finished out of top 4 but it came down to the last week), and you could argue we would have been better off not buying anybody that summer - which is looking like will happen this summer.

6 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

What are we afraid of?

Has a club ever had their ban increased because they asked to freeze and appeal?  Have we been threatened with an increase in the ban?

Certainly we believe we are innocent and have documentation to prove it?

FIFA have processed the case through to final appeal so don’t have the authority to determine the next stage . It would be dynamite if FIFA were trying to warn us off from either appealing or applying for a stay of the sanction with threats as to what would happen if we went to appeal at CAS.

If  the FIFA  council didn’t agree with the appeal outcome of their own disciplinary body they had the opportunity, daft as it may seem, to appeal the decision to CAS, which they didn’t. 

The likelihood of CAS increasing to three windows is  extremely remote , but possible, but there is no way that anyone from CAS should  be publicly suggesting that it was likely. So I struggle to see where the suggestion about an increase comes from.

The only source I have seen that suggests that the two window could become a three window ban is from Matt Law .

Looking at the situation and playing out the various scenarios I can’t think of any possibility  whereby if we are genuinely disputing the charges that we wouldn’t apply for a stay.

Some say maybe our main targets will be out of reach but football is unpredictable the transfer market especially that means some times out of left field at the very last minute an opportunity to get this player or that player may just crop up and you have to be in a position to move quickly .

As I posted a day or so ago I wonder if the appeal is part of an orchestrated procedure following discussions and agreement  with FIFA which in effect will satisfy FIFA and at the same time reduce the ban.If that’s right , and it may be 100% wrong, then the matter would be settled in a matter of a few days or weeks 

Having said all that It may just be about timing. First get the appeal accepted ( which wasn’t was just a day or so ago) then submit to CAS an application to stay the ban.

I think we will know more about what’s going-on a lot sooner rather than later.

11 minutes ago, terraloon said:

FIFA have processed the case through to final appeal so don’t have the authority to determine the next stage . It would be dynamite if FIFA were trying to warn us off from either appealing or applying for a stay of the sanction with threats as to what would happen if we went to appeal at CAS.

If  the FIFA  council didn’t agree with the appeal outcome of their own disciplinary body they had the opportunity, daft as it may seem, to appeal the decision to CAS, which they didn’t. 

The likelihood of CAS increasing to three windows is  extremely remote , but possible, but there is no way that anyone from CAS should  be publicly suggesting that it was likely. So I struggle to see where the suggestion about an increase comes from.

The only source I have seen that suggests that the two window could become a three window ban is from Matt Law .

Looking at the situation and playing out the various scenarios I can’t think of any possibility  whereby if we are genuinely disputing the charges that we wouldn’t apply for a stay.

Some say maybe our main targets will be out of reach but football is unpredictable the transfer market especially that means some times out of left field at the very last minute an opportunity to get this player or that player may just crop up and you have to be in a position to move quickly .

As I posted a day or so ago I wonder if the appeal is part of an orchestrated procedure following discussions and agreement  with FIFA which in effect will satisfy FIFA and at the same time reduce the ban.If that’s right , and it may be 100% wrong, then the matter would be settled in a matter of a few days or weeks 

Having said all that It may just be about timing. First get the appeal accepted ( which wasn’t was just a day or so ago) then submit to CAS an application to stay the ban.

I think we will know more about what’s going-on a lot sooner rather than later.

You've provided a lot of good insight on the entire situation, much appreciated!

Martin Lipton just reported that CAS has published the list of cases that it will hear over the rest of the summer, and the Chelsea appeal is NOT on that list.  If true, that means will not have a decision on our appeal until after the summer transfer window closes.  Without a request to freeze, we will serve at least a one window ban no matter what happens with our appeal.

12 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Martin Lipton just reported that CAS has published the list of cases that it will hear over the rest of the summer, and the Chelsea appeal is NOT on that list.  If true, that means will not have a decision on our appeal until after the summer transfer window closes.  Without a request to freeze, we will serve at least a one window ban no matter what happens with our appeal.

That list was up on the CAS website earlier in the week.Cases don’t get listed just a day or so after an appeal was registered . There is far to much in terms of process etc to be agreed before a hearing could be listed

There is no way that a full hearing would  have taken place prior to the closing of the summer window so in  truth the “ revelation “ really doesn’t change anything

Edited by terraloon
15 minutes ago, terraloon said:

That list was up on the CAS website earlier in the week.Cases don’t get listed just a day or so after an appeal was registered . There is far to much in terms of process etc to be agreed before a hearing could be listed

There is no way that a full hearing would  have taken place prior to the closing of the summer window so in  truth the “ revelation “ really doesn’t change anything

So we have accepted that we are guilty enough to serve at least a one window ban without a request to freeze while waiting for the appeal to be heard?

19 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

So we have accepted that we are guilty enough to serve at least a one window ban without a request to freeze while waiting for the appeal to be heard?

Not sure I would accept that quite yet although I do think that no matter what happens we ultimately will serve a one window ban.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7133731/Chelsea-definitely-serve-transfer-ban-summer.html

Chelsea's transfer ban appeal WILL NOT be heard until after the window closes... as Blues appear set to accept they can't sign players this summer

CAS have published a list of cases that will be heard over the rest of summer, with Chelsea not appearing among them. The list of 18 cases starts today - June 12 - and takes the court up until August 14, well after the English transfer window shuts ahead of the new season.

12 minutes ago, fitz said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7133731/Chelsea-definitely-serve-transfer-ban-summer.html

Chelsea's transfer ban appeal WILL NOT be heard until after the window closes... as Blues appear set to accept they can't sign players this summer

CAS have published a list of cases that will be heard over the rest of summer, with Chelsea not appearing among them. The list of 18 cases starts today - June 12 - and takes the court up until August 14, well after the English transfer window shuts ahead of the new season.

The list was published on 12June and has 19 cases on it, not 18. The first hearing is not due to be heard on 12June but on 13 June. 

Of the 19 cases 12 of then are in respect of cases opened in 2018. 

That list is fluid indeed CAS hear applications to stay disciplinary sanctions upon application.

Cases crop up, and are heard urgently indeed  Railoa had his agents licence suspended by FIFA in late May. He successfully applied for  and was granted a stay of that suspension and here’s the thing that the full hearing will be heard by 29 July and that case doesn’t appear on the list either.

Edited by terraloon

One last point re the list of hearings it’s worth returning to the statement issued by CAS following their listing of our appeal

Here is the important part 

“Generally speaking, CAS appeal arbitration procedures involve an exchange of written submissions between the parties while a Panel of CAS arbitrators is being convened to hear the appeal. Once the Panel has been formally constituted it issues procedural directions, including, inter alia, with respect to the holding of a hearing. Following the hearing, if one is held (a CAS Panel may also issue a decision based only on the parties’ written submissions), the Panel deliberates and then issues its decision in the form of an Arbitral Award.”

In other words they have the authority to deal with this case without a hearing being held at all

Pretty sure the club will ask for the transfer ban to be frozen while ban is in place and hope that the ban is realistically reduced to one window.  We have lost our best player, and have two players who will have a big part to play next season injured. We need to strengthen. If we don't ask for the ban to be frozen, I don't see how we will compete for top 4 this season. No quality striker, the wingers are not quality. Pulisic needs time. And rivals around us will be spending big. Wow, not feeling optimistic at all for next season.

26 minutes ago, STATS said:

Pretty sure the club will ask for the transfer ban to be frozen while ban is in place and hope that the ban is realistically reduced to one window.  We have lost our best player, and have two players who will have a big part to play next season injured. We need to strengthen. If we don't ask for the ban to be frozen, I don't see how we will compete for top 4 this season. No quality striker, the wingers are not quality. Pulisic needs time. And rivals around us will be spending big. Wow, not feeling optimistic at all for next season.

No sense in asking for a freeze if the players you want are not available or sold off already, or if you have done no previous work on transfers and have to start from scratch.  Again, there seems to be very little urgency.  

And shout out to @terraloon for the detailed info on CAS.  

This has probably been asked before, but are we able to loan players during the transfer ban ? If yes, then it may get us out of the proverbial for a year. We could have asked for Bale for example, as part of the deal with Hazard. I can think of several players, not getting game time, Coutihno being another one who might consider a year with us before they find a permanent move ? 

Just now, Paulus said:

This has probably been asked before, but are we able to loan players during the transfer ban ? If yes, then it may get us out of the proverbial for a year. We could have asked for Bale for example, as part of the deal with Hazard. I can think of several players, not getting game time, Coutihno being another one who might consider a year with us before they find a permanent move ? 

no

59 minutes ago, terraloon said:

Confirms what I posted re the list of hearings published earlier in the week by CAS.

What makes me laugh is that supposed quality journalists publish sensational stories without doing basic research.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-transfer-ban-latest-hearing-16429307

Its almost as if the f**kwits have no idea whats going on and just constantly spout any old crap knowing gullible numpties will believe it.

4 hours ago, terraloon said:

Confirms what I posted re the list of hearings published earlier in the week by CAS.

What makes me laugh is that supposed quality journalists publish sensational stories without doing basic research.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-transfer-ban-latest-hearing-16429307

Who would ever click on a story or buy a paper to read the actual truth?

Edited by Boston Blue

I think the club have accepted that there's no point trying to have this summer window frozen and it is already ruined given we should already have been preparing the groundwork for transfers months ago.

Legally also it stands us in better stead to have already been punished for this summer as that's a longer and harsher punishment than the winter window, and therefore the likelihood of the ban being reduced to just this summer window is greater than if we froze it and tried to have it reduced to solely January.

1 hour ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

I think the club have accepted that there's no point trying to have this summer window frozen and it is already ruined given we should already have been preparing the groundwork for transfers months ago.

Legally also it stands us in better stead to have already been punished for this summer as that's a longer and harsher punishment than the winter window, and therefore the likelihood of the ban being reduced to just this summer window is greater than if we froze it and tried to have it reduced to solely January.

I've always wanted to ask this, why would we bother to appeal if we were not trying to stay the ban? It's like saying we are not guilty but we accept the punishment, it makes no sense. Maybe some in here can make some sense out of it?