Two Transfer Window Ban?

22 minutes ago, RMH said:

I've always wanted to ask this, why would we bother to appeal if we were not trying to stay the ban? It's like saying we are not guilty but we accept the punishment, it makes no sense. Maybe some in here can make some sense out of it?

Can only think we know it’s not getting dropped and this is our best shot at getting it reduced to one window.

Then at least if our season is in a mess we can roll the dice in January transfer window 

But, is that the case? Because CAS is supposed to be independent and if we appeal to them is because we think we were wrongly convicted. They can indeed rule a reduction to one window, in which case we should ask for a stay and hope that the window is the winter one. Or they could decide to keep it as two windows, served in winter and next summer, but if we prepare well this window and get targets that cover some important holes we've got in the team, by the next summer we should have already a team rolling under the new manager and transfers would not be that relevant. I don't know, I just don't get the strategy.

34 minutes ago, RMH said:

But, is that the case? Because CAS is supposed to be independent and if we appeal to them is because we think we were wrongly convicted. They can indeed rule a reduction to one window, in which case we should ask for a stay and hope that the window is the winter one. Or they could decide to keep it as two windows, served in winter and next summer, but if we prepare well this window and get targets that cover some important holes we've got in the team, by the next summer we should have already a team rolling under the new manager and transfers would not be that relevant. I don't know, I just don't get the strategy.

Because it's too late for this summer, we've been in limbo too long and we would end up counter-productively rushing everything if we suddenly received a freeze. It would be like serving half a window's ban without it actually counting towards the punishment.

Just because we appeal to CAS doesn't necessarily mean we think we've been completely wrongly convicted, rather perhaps just too harshly punished.

I agree it’s a strange concept. Serving a punishment while appealing it at the same time. Like prison!

We obviously have zero faith in it getting overturned but perhaps think the punishment is too harsh. Maybe CAS will think one Summer window is a bigger punishment than one winter. 

What would happen if it got overturned I say September, do we try to sue fifa for damages! All a bit weird. 

Or... perhaps the appeal is just to save face and a PR stunt and we know we’ve done wrong and are virtually assured of a two window ban.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else actually happy we have this ban, it means we dont have to put up with the incessant whining and moaning that we haven't signed 18 players for £100m each 2 days into the transfer window. 

53 minutes ago, dkw said:

Anyone else actually happy we have this ban, it means we dont have to put up with the incessant whining and moaning that we haven't signed 18 players for £100m each 2 days into the transfer window. 

I wouldn’t say I’m happy about it but there are definitely some positives.

I’m just happy we didn’t sign Higuain.

It’s not going to be easy this season with the ban but what a massive opportunity for the likes of RLC, CHO and Abraham to make the transition into our first team.

If we come through the ban having established those three as regulars and they’re playing well it will be a huge boost to the club and maybe a lesson to look closer to home rather than splashing big money on the likes a Zappacosta in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong here but could we not still buy players and then loan them back to the club for a year? As the ban is technically against registering players? Or would FIFA have a way to stop that? 

I was just thinking it might make offers more appealing for the likes of Pepe etc if the clubs know they can keep them an extra year and it might mean cheaper deals. 

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’m sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong here but could we not still buy players and then loan them back to the club for a year? As the ban is technically against registering players? Or would FIFA have a way to stop that? 

I was just thinking it might make offers more appealing for the likes of Pepe etc if the clubs know they can keep them an extra year and it might mean cheaper deals. 

Signing a player means they need to be registered with us first before being loaned out. No loopholes other than Higuain and Kovacic.

I’m just happy we didn’t sign Higuain.
It’s not going to be easy this season with the ban but what a massive opportunity for the likes of RLC, CHO and Abraham to make the transition into our first team.
If we come through the ban having established those three as regulars and they’re playing well it will be a huge boost to the club and maybe a lesson to look closer to home rather than splashing big money on the likes a Zappacosta in the future.
For me CHO and RLC already made the transition. Mount and Abraham are the two interesting ones. Before those two abbreviations got injured they were pretty much starting games. CHO is now in a great position after Eden left.

Getting back to the topic...for Abraham and Mount this ban is a gift. I'm pretty sure we would have looked into the market for these areas. Mount is debatable as Frank and Jody know him by heart but with our stature we would have digged deep for a star striker if we could. This due to us being more of Real Madrid than Arsenal.
17 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

We could sign players now for next summer, like liverpool did with keita, but we cant sign them and loan out.

5 hours ago, big blue said:

We could sign players now for next summer, like liverpool did with keita, but we cant sign them and loan out.

Ahhh ok so it’s a similar idea, we could just agree the deal for next summer and leave them at their club for the reason before it officially goes through in the summer of 2020. 

28 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Ahhh ok so it’s a similar idea, we could just agree the deal for next summer and leave them at their club for the reason before it officially goes through in the summer of 2020. 

Basically this is what Matt Law is reporting that we are considering doing with Zaha.

1 hour ago, fester said:

Just noticed the window closes in just over a week.  That'll mean we're halfway through our ban....

With the excitement about Lamps and the youth this ban seems pretty painless up to now!!  ?::ChELSeAFaN:: 

Its also been nice to not be linked with every tom dick and harry 

I think most of us are trying to work out just what’s going on with the appeal.

Some months ago I put on here my thoughts that perhaps the appeal had nothing to do with the guilty charge but was all about the length of the ban.

The reason that I am returning to my point is that last week CAS made a ruling that I found interesting 

The case was concerned a swimmer, Junka Koua , who failed a dope test.

He went through the disciplinary process with the World Swimming Federation(FINA) which involved appeal.His appeal was dismissed and the 4 year ban initially imposed by the disciplinary hearing  was confirmed.

Where this gets interesting is that once the full process had been completed Koua  appealed to CAS. It now transpires his appeal wasn’t about failing the test but the 4 year ban.

What then happened was that behind closed doors CAS facilitated dialogue between the ruling body and the swimmer and eventually and just after the Swimming World Championships without the need for a hearing the guilty ruling was confirmed however CAS agreed( not decided)to consent to an order that the four year ban be reduced to a two year ban.In essence even if the ruling body had wanted to reduce the ban once it had been  fully through their appeals process they didn’t have the authority to implement a reduction without CAS involvement 

I think it’s pretty obvious that we were always going to serve a ban of some sort and it’s apparent that FIFA are holding fire on ruling on the other PL clubs that are rumoured to have been subject of investigations into similar breeches of FIFA statutes.Once this window closes I really do expect that something will be coming from CAS .

Edited by terraloon
1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

I'm actually quite enjoying watching the transfer window unfold as a detached spectator rather than an emotionally invested "participant".

And especially so, seeing some of the average players being signed by our competition, and the silly prices they are paying to get them !

I said pretty much the exact same thing to two Palace fans moaning about their transfers or lack of earlier this morning :good2: